Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorten Stock Panhard Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Stetler17

Default Shorten Stock Panhard Bar?

Has anyone cut their stock bar and shortened it after lowering spring install?

I have BMR springs and mounted up my new wheels tonight, now that they are out at the edge of the wheel the rearend offset that I have been ignoring is very obvious.

Since the wait for a new adjustable bar will keep me off the road for several days I cut the stock bar in half about four inches from one end with the intent of shortening it by the needed .220" and running it until I pick up the BMR adjustable.

Surprise....it is full of what apears to be lead shot with rubber plugs at the end. Anyone ever make this mod, or know the reason for the filler material?

I ran oval race cars for years, so modifying or making a panhard bar is not an issue for me, I was just caught off guard by what I found. I'm planning to sleeve it on the inside and weld it back up tomorrow, any past experiences would be helpful.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:44 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stetler17
Has anyone cut their stock bar and shortened it after lowering spring install?

I have BMR springs and mounted up my new wheels tonight, now that they are out at the edge of the wheel the rearend offset that I have been ignoring is very obvious.

Since the wait for a new adjustable bar will keep me off the road for several days I cut the stock bar in half about four inches from one end with the intent of shortening it by the needed .220" and running it until I pick up the BMR adjustable.

Surprise....it is full of what apears to be lead shot with rubber plugs at the end. Anyone ever make this mod, or know the reason for the filler material?

I ran oval race cars for years, so modifying or making a panhard bar is not an issue for me, I was just caught off guard by what I found. I'm planning to sleeve it on the inside and weld it back up tomorrow, any past experiences would be helpful.
You did WHAT !!!!!!!! Oval race cars or not, Im sure you are going to get jumped on for this one!! It was No big deal man, you could have just left it the way it was and rode around until it came in. You wouldn't have hurt anything. And, OBTW the filler stuff is for noise (NVH).
Old 04-03-2009, 03:58 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yea, I have cut one open. Rubber plugs and lead shot.
Eccentric bushings would have shortened it for the short
term better than cutting it and rewelding it.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...eath-help.html
Old 04-03-2009, 04:12 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT E UPP
You did WHAT !!!!!!!! Oval race cars or not, Im sure you are going to get jumped on for this one!! It was No big deal man, you could have just left it the way it was and rode around until it came in. You wouldn't have hurt anything. And, OBTW the filler stuff is for noise (NVH).
Don't want to undermind anyones skills but...^^^I agree with what 07 GT E UPP said
Old 04-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Stetler17

Thanks for the replys..

I understand about being a little nervous someone is modifying a panhard bar.

It's back on the car and everything worked out perfect. I do have a new "adjustable" one on the way. It was never about trying to save the money, just didn't want to leave the car parked all weekend and maybe part of next week. Mines a DD as long as it isn't snowing.

Just so you know. I went ahead and sleeved it on the inside and welded it up. it looked great, but due to some of your concerns I went ahead and sleeved the outside too. This thing may break in the middle, like the one in the link 157 posted, but I guarantee it won't break where I modified it. Afterall, someone has to be welding up the aftermarket ones also.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Another user has done it. "Pascal" - owns a body shop down in FL.. removed the beads/shot and shortened that puppy, put the beads back in and welded her up.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:01 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I made an A-Arm brace for the
one Ford left off my 07 Stang
out of the extra S197 panhard bar I had.
I hope it does not 'break'.
Attached Thumbnails Shorten Stock Panhard Bar?-bracesmall.jpg   Shorten Stock Panhard Bar?-bracesmall2.jpg   Shorten Stock Panhard Bar?-bracesmall3.jpg   Shorten Stock Panhard Bar?-brace5.jpg   Shorten Stock Panhard Bar?-brace2small.jpg