Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life Expectancy of a Supercharger...........

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 08:07 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

Default Life Expectancy of a Supercharger...........

I am buying a Procharger this week and fitting it very soon, I will of course start a new post with pictures, dyno info, etc to show all you guys!

In the meantime - I have a question......what is the life expectancy of these things, for instance a Procharger on a daily driver - I intend to get a 'conservative' tune and I am not changing anything else under the hood. Are they supposed to last as long as the engine? Or 5, 6 years or whatever???

Second question....what is the most likely thing a supercharger would damage if that happened??
Old 06-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Life Expectancy of a Supercharger...........

First question: Good one, I'd like to know myself. Second question: Your wallet and/or your credit rating.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

^^^^ Funny comment

If you take care of your car with regular maintenance and don't tune it wrong, i.e. overboost it for your engine, over advance/retard the timing etc it should last the life of the car. Procharger is a self contained(lubricated) system I believe so it's not affected by how often or not so often you do your oil changes. Some of the power adders that tap into the oil pan are suseptible to the same engine wear you get when you skip an oil change or let it get all nasty looking. Make sure you keep the intercooler clean on your Procharger. Overheating will kill it just as fast as your cars engine.

I'm not sure of what you damage if the chager went bad though. Burnt valves or messed up emissions components...worst would be a blown head gasket, throw a piston rod, or crack the crank from an overboosted/bad tune.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:49 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Vortechs are known to last as long as the engine itself, whereas its not uncommon to see Prochargers being rebuild after 10 or 15k miles. Reguardless of which way you go as long as you keep the boost within reason and have a safe tune you'll have safe power that won't ruin your engine.