Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calipers-How hot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

Question Calipers-How hot?

I just picked up a Dupli-Color caliper paint kit with CERAMIC at AutoZone for cheap, $12. I was planning on painting my calipers like dkersten did but I noticed that his kit said it withstands temps of up to 900f and mine only withstands temps of up to 500f so is that enough or should I take the Dupli-Color one back and get a better kit from an online suppler?

-Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Do you do auto cross or brake hard/frequent?
Id get the higher if so
Old 04-07-2009, 10:54 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
Do you do auto cross or brake hard/frequent?
Id get the higher if so
No on the auto x but I do tend to go a little heavy on the breaking, my front rotors are blued, I had them turned, then less than 2k miles later they were all burned and blue again, so I'm savin up for some slotted or drilled and slotted ones. Thanks for the advice, I'll go with the 900f one then.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:45 PM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

I used to have that paint on my old 'stang and it wore off in many places on each caliper within a year. I just got the caliper covers from American Muscle. They're ridiculously expensive, but worth it if you ask me. One application and they're done forever.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
ab
2nd Gear Member

No problem with mine I used Dupli-Color been almost 2 years. No matter what product you use be sure to clean clean and clean.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:12 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

If you're only driving on the street, 500* is a pretty rare occurance.

Drilled and slotted rotors will NOT fix your overheating problem. They will still overheat. But now they'll crack, too. You'll end up replacing rotors every year or so. And the slotting does tend to eat up the pads a bit quicker, too.

If the brakes are getting too hot, you need cooling ducts. It's a whole lot cheaper, and will actually work.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:50 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by .boB
If you're only driving on the street, 500* is a pretty rare occurrence.

Drilled and slotted rotors will NOT fix your overheating problem. They will still overheat. But now they'll crack, too. You'll end up replacing rotors every year or so. And the slotting does tend to eat up the pads a bit quicker, too.

If the brakes are getting too hot, you need cooling ducts. It's a whole lot cheaper, and will actually work.
hmm...interesting, I never though about that. I'll definitely look into some cooling ducts. Any place in particular online that caries them??
Old 04-08-2009, 05:54 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I've had my brakes painted with the same Duplicolor for over a couple years now, and they look as good as the day I painted them. It all depends on how you prep them before painting. Many people don't want to take the time to prep them right, so they have problems after a while.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

well I went ahead and oredered the 900 degree max paint from a local guy in town, who I would prefer to give my money to lol. As far as prep I planed to sand the surfaces to paint with like 500grit paper and then clean thuroughly with denatured alcohol tape everything off, then paint. That should be good...right?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Clean really well first with a good degreaser. I start with Simple Green, then use a brillo pad. Lots of water. Then sand. If you sand first, you drive the oils down into the metal and make the prep more difficult.

Cooling ducts are pretty simple. Don't have to be anything fancy. There's a number of places that sell kits. Even Ford sells them - but they're not cheap. I made some for my track car (not a Mustang). Total cost was probably $40-50. They don't look pretty, but they work good. You can only see them with the tires off, so I don't worry too much about looks.

Quick Reply: Calipers-How hot?