Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 12:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to Install window tint on front windows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Default How to Install window tint on front windows?

Hey, so i had my windows professionally tinted about 2 years ago, but in the past year i got two window tint tickets, so i decided to take it off. However i think my car looks like crap, so i just ordered darker tints lol for the front two windows. How would i go about installing it. I mean i did my tailights and turn signals so i know the basics, but how car I lifted the window up more so i can get the tints all the way down and inside the doorpanel. Also can i use regular dish soap and water to squeegee the tint in place?? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:51 PM
ICIBUY
2nd Gear Member

Its alot easier to just pay the $40-$50 and have it done by the pros! LOL! But if you really want to do it yourself and have not done it alot then you should take your inside door panel and dew strip off so you have plenty of room to work the tint down all the way. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 PM
gtguyonli
2nd Gear Member

Some things are better left off to the pros. Cheaper in the long run, I wasted rolls of tint trying to do windows on my own in the past, now I am fanatical, I only use a place that does computer cutting, they do a great job, never a bubble or anything. www.samstinting.com
Old 04-08-2009, 09:51 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

well i have watched the guy near my house tint a lot of window but still will not try... Before u try 2 put them on make sure u spray your windows down w/ soapy water and take a razor blade to the whole thing 2 remove any glue on the windows. Then he puts the tint on the outside of the window cutting the tint 2 the correct size... Make sure 2 spray outside window as well... You will need the squeegee to form the tint to the window on the outside making sure it is cut 2 correct size. After the tint is cut remove the clear layer of film on the tint and soak w/ water solution... After spraying the inside again move the tint to the inside of the glass... the more water the better...after sliding the tint exactly where u want it start moving the water out from behind the tint w/ squeegee. You may need a heat gun to form tint if it starts 2 wrinkle or not lay. Also heat the very top and bottom inch of the whole window and squeegee well since the window moves up and down when opening the door. Once all water is out the tint should be in place... it looks a lot easier then it is...
Old 04-08-2009, 10:50 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

yeah, i would leave it to the pro, but i probably will remove the tint again in the fall, since the windows will be up more. I did order the precut tint since it will be easier. thanks for the tips guys.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:17 PM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

I had a friend in the past that owned his own window tinting shop. He recommended and used baby shampoo in the water instead of dish soap (apparently there are some chemicals in dish soap that are not good for the tint with fading in the sun). he also used a trim tool wedgeed between the door panel and the window to seperate the rubber seal from the window (put the trim tool in the back then slide the tint at an angle in the front first then do the opposite in the back being careful not to scratch the tint in the front. Another interesting tid bit I picked up on was he would take the tint in the corner and lightly bit down on it (VERY, VERY lightly) in order to crease the clear backing making it easier to seperate it from the thicker film before installing it. The key to avoiding creasing is lubrication, use alot of the water/shampoo spray throughout the process and be pretty liberal when adding the soap/shampoo to the water in the spray bottle, this will allow the tint to move easily into position for any fine adjustments. With our cars you may need to keep in mind the 1/4 inch our windows drop when the door is open and look into how to turn that function off (maybe pull the fuse for the windows before starting???), or make sure you dry the tint very good with a hair dryer from the outside before re-opening the doors......GOOD LUCK
Old 04-09-2009, 02:01 PM
alanlee112
1st Gear Member

Have you considered what police officers think of when your windows are tinted? If they pull you over they want to be sure they can look in the window and see that there isn't a gun pointed at them. You may want to consider that before you tint your front windows again. Have some respect for the officers who patrol our streets.

And I'm sure your Mustang doesn't look like crap without the tint. It's a Mustang.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:36 PM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alanlee112
Have you considered what police officers think of when your windows are tinted? If they pull you over they want to be sure they can look in the window and see that there isn't a gun pointed at them. You may want to consider that before you tint your front windows again. Have some respect for the officers who patrol our streets.

And I'm sure your Mustang doesn't look like crap without the tint. It's a Mustang.
X2!! It is illegal here in Michigan to have anything but the top few inches of your front windows tinted. A guy at work just got a ticket in his Camary for having his fronts too dark.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:54 PM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

use a screwdriver in the door to flip the lever that moves when the door is closed. if done right the window will shift to the closed position. just remember to put it back before you close the door. tick i learned from my tint guy.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:27 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by alanlee112

This really goes both ways...

It's not disrespectful at all to police to tint your windows.

My car came with tint (pretty sure it's too dark to be legal), but I would have tinted the windows anyway. Why? I don't want people looking in my car every time I pull up to a stop light, especially if I have to go downtown to a more shady part of town.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the main duty of police is to protect the public... I would definitely say my darker windows help protect me, especially if, like I said before I am in a shady part of town. It's a good deterrent, and could very well make someone up to no-good think twice before messing with me.

What I am trying to say is that current laws against window tint might make it less safe for the vast majority of people, in order to protect the minority (officers)

If I get pulled over, my window is going to be down already and the tint won't make a difference for the officers safety.

If I was an officer and pulled someone over, and they don't put their window down, tint or not, I would be calling some back up.

Quick Reply: How to Install window tint on front windows?