Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its new exhaust time!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:21 PM
comando2929
1st Gear Member

Default Its new exhaust time!!

OK, so I've been wanting some long tube headers for my car for quite a while now. I think it sounds alright stock but always wanted to make it sound better and get the performance as well. I told myself to wait until I could get a whole new exhaust setup and I think that time has come.

I've done some listening and I'm pretty sure that I want long tube headers with an H pipe (catted I think) and resonators to keep it clean sounding. I'm not going for super loud so I think I do want the catted H, but do you think this setup would sound nice? Will it be very loud?

Also I've heard that going to 3" exhaust, I would loose back pressure and some HP/TQ, is that true? Is there any benifit or sound difference in 3" exhaust?
Old 04-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

since ur in california, u cant get longtubes without them being illigal... second, you need your catalytic converters because thats another big nono in california.

H pipes always sound better, but X pipes give more hp, but i would reccomend an H. headers will gain HP, but they will lose TQ. or at least in a v6 case they lose tq. im not 100% on if they make a GT lose TQ, but i would a=imagine so since ur losing backpressure
Old 04-09-2009, 05:37 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

your not going to loose any tq your going to gain, mikeysgt gained like 20 ft lbs or something, your not going to loose power anywhere from LT, have not seen a dyno chart once where a guy installs LT and he had losses and not gains......
Old 04-09-2009, 05:45 PM
AutoPartsCorp
Banned

http://mustang.autopartscorp.com/home.php?cat=32

for some options when you decide what your looking for
Old 04-09-2009, 06:21 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

If you're a bolt on car, you'll lose low end torque. It's not much, and the flow up high makes up for it. mikeysgt runs nitrous, which demands the high flow and is why he doesn't lose anything. Same concept with the 3" exhaust, you will lose torque because of the lack of back pressure.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

i didn't lose torque even without the nitrous. i gained both hp and tq with and without the nitrous. gained 9rwhp on motor and about 20lbs of torque, and 21rwhp and 90+ rwtq from the o/r longtube x pipe setup from ARH.

tombstang knows the gains from my car better than i do from the top of my head so listen to him hahaha
Old 04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
comando2929
1st Gear Member

The car will be registered in AZ so I don't think I'll need to worry about the bogus CA emission laws.

Would the loss be because of the 3" exhaust, or just because of the LTs. I've always told myself I would get 3" exhaust but I don't know much about the difference. Is 3" better top end or better with FI, or is it just a number?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:51 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

if you ever plan on going F/I of any kind i'd go with the 3". you will not see a loss in torque of hp with this even without it. id do it right the first time if i were you, especially if you dont have to worry about the emissions laws like we do.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:32 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikeysGT
i didn't lose torque even without the nitrous. i gained both hp and tq with and without the nitrous. gained 9rwhp on motor and about 20lbs of torque, and 21rwhp and 90+ rwtq from the o/r longtube x pipe setup from ARH.

tombstang knows the gains from my car better than i do from the top of my head so listen to him hahaha
I stand corrected! Lol sorry bro. Question for you, when you dyno'd the before and after, did you have the stock manifolds and midpipe? I'm going from an O/R H to the LT's and hope I won't lose any power. Hope I gain power.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 PM
comando2929
1st Gear Member

I think that's exactly what I',m debating. I want to do it right the first time, but I don't know if I will realistically ever go FI. I hate to say it, but I think I'm too afraid to loose the MPG and maybe shorten the life of my DD.

Quick Reply: Its new exhaust time!!