Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GT Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:16 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by kinoman2002
I got a Mustang 2010 brochure the other day from a dealer. Not the one that Ford mail but a thicker one with all the options and specs. It says, there is "interior trunk release". Does anyone knows where it is situated?
It's on the center console next to the shifter on the driver's side. There is a location for 3 buttons and it is the bottom of the three buttons
Old 04-17-2009, 11:37 PM
MollyHulk

This review speaks volumes: http://reviews.carreview.com/blog/20...he-glory-days/

Blings:

Dramatic interior quality improvements
More attractive, stylish and aggressive exterior improvements
Hoot-hollerin’ V8
Dings:

Intrusive arm rest
Annoying IP illumination reflection in windshield
Rear seats fit for a double leg amputee
Ruling: The first Mustang which might actually attract people who’ve never liked Mustangs.

Ask any enthusiast what they think the glory days were for the Mustang’s long lineage, and most will tell you 1969 or 1970. Specifically, the days of the Boss 302, the model which established its thoroughbred racing heritage. The days of Parnelli Jones, the Trans Am racing series and the epic battles between the Mustang and Camaro. These were the glory days for the Mustang, and it’s no surprise that when Ford embarked on redesigning it for 2010, their inspiration came from looking back 40 years.

While GM conducts the longest, most drawn-out and tiresome pre-production PR ****-tease campaign for the will-it-ever-be-released Camaro, Mustang enthusiasts have patiently waited in anticipation of Ford’s complete redesign of their pony car. Much to the chagrin of enthusiasts, Ford’s plans did not include a full redesign. But what they have done with the 2010 Mustang should more than satisfy the expectations of not only enthusiasts, but more importantly, non-enthusiasts.

This author would historically fall into the category of a non-enthusiast. Although I appreciate the simplistic approach of a rear-wheel drive V8 powered coupe, the Mustang has always been too uninspired and cheap, both in looks and build quality, to attract my attention. Not including the classics from the 1960’s and early 70’s, the only Mustang I ever even remotely considered was an ‘88 LX 5.0 coupe, your quintessential sleeper, but the tawdry interior derailed my intentions. The desire to own a Mustang never again resurfaced, that is until a 2010 GT adorned in Grabber Blue recently rumbled into my driveway.

First Impressions

I had seen plenty of photos of the re-worked 2010 exterior, and the changes Ford designers made didn’t seem like much. But when you actually see it in the sheetmetal, you quickly realize that the numerous subtle design changes have added up to a far more attractive package. What’s more, I immediately rubberized some asphalt and parked it next to a 2009 Mustang, and the difference was remarkable.

It’s all in the details, like the smaller, more angular headlights, bulging hood, little kick-ups on the top end of the doors and the more rounded rear with new taillights simply make the new Mustang a far more appealing machine from the outside. But what really made an impression was the interior; specifically, the noteworthy quality improvements and stylish design cues.

Performance

What hasn’t changed on the 2010 model are the underpinnings of the Mustang. The chassis is nearly the same, with some tweaks in the suspension to reduce body roll and stiffen the ride for a more firm yet not uncomfortable road feel. The 4.6 liter V8 powerplant is the same one found in the 2009 Bullit model, albeit with a new cold air induction system which, according to Ford, boosts pony power from 300 to 315 and torque to 325 lb ft. These numbers are good for very respectable acceleration stats - 5 second flat 0-60 and 13.6 seconds at 104 mph.

But the Mustang isn’t just a straight line machine. Sure, it still has a solid rear axle, a gratifying 5-speed manual tranny and that visceral, neck-jerking kick when you floor it at 4,000 rpms - which lifts the front end like a boat under full throttle - but the suspension improvements have actually made the stock GT respectably adept in the twisties. With the stock, Mustang-specific 18″ Pirelli P-Zero Nero all-season tires, turn-in is accurate with a classic hint of understeer, which can easily be remedied to slight oversteer by throttle adjustment. There is some noticeable body roll, but overall, out-of-the-box handling is impressive, and it wouldn’t take much tweaking to make the new Mustang a track star.

On the freeway, the Mustang is a rock. Fort Knox solid. Historically, when journalists said the words “typical” and “Ford” in succession, what followed was usually either a rant, a dis or a rant littered with disses. However, Ford’s consistent focus with many of its new models to improve interior quality which hushes road noise is becoming typical. So in this case, the 2010 Mustang has that “typical Ford” interior quality which produces a serene cabin, even at triple-digit speeds.

Build

As mentioned, quality improvements with the 2010 Mustang are the most notable in contrasting from previous generations. Take the dashboard for example, which retains its muscular twin-cowl look, but is now one single piece which eliminates all rattles and squeaks. For our entire week-long drive racking up over 600 miles with the Mustang, not one noise resulting from poor interior assembly could be heard. The outside isn’t quite up to the level of the inside, with a plasticky rear GT badge tainting an otherwise impressive presentation.

Interior

What’s the point in designing an attractive car from the outside, if, once you get in, the interior looks like a Budget rental car? Take the new Challenger for instance. Gorgeous on the outside, heinous on the inside. Heinous enough to turn buyers away completely. For the Mustang, this is not the case. The exterior attracts you to the car, and the interior makes you want to get inside. Cheap, multi-paneled plastic has been replaced with attractive single-piece metal panels. LED accent lights adorn both door panels, footwells, and center console. Dash gauges and the center stack are illuminated with an attractive ice blue color. And the vintage-inspired, leather-wrapped, horn button steering wheel is grabadocious, with all radio and cruise controls tastefully integrated.

Although we absolutely love the interior, there are a few minor quibbles which Ford can easily remedy with future models. The first is an annoying ice blue reflection in the windshield at night which comes from the gauges. It’s like sitting beneath a neon light at a drive-thru, except it follows you everywhere you go. A simple extension of the dash cowl can remedy this problem. Another is the armrest behind the shifter, which has a push button which vertically lifts a stowage door. When resting your arm on the console, the button is perfectly placed right below your elbow, depressing the button, and repeatedly lifting the stowage door every time you move your arm. And the third minor quibble is a wiring harness bundle which sits a little too close to the clutch pedal, which we kept inadvertently kicking with our left foot. Oh, and the rear seats? Unless your passengers are under the age of 5 or dual leg amputees, forget it.

Exterior

If Ford’s designers were going for an aggressive, mean, ballsy, ***-kicking attitude, they hit the mark. Park the 2010 next to a 2009, and you’ll immediately see what I mean. In comparison, the 2009 looks meek, wimpy, even. From the front, the smaller, more sharply-angled headlights, larger pony emblem and bulging hood stare down anyone looking out their rearview mirror. From the sides, the subtle door end kick-ups, although minor, make a considerable visual improvement. And from the rear, not only are the taillights larger and more pronounced, by they’re powered by directional LEDs, which light sequentially to the left or right depending which way you flick the turn signal.

Another trick feature is Ford’s new “Easy Fuel” capless filling system, which we absolutely love and continue to wonder why it took so long to invent.

Park a 1970 Boss 302 next to a 2010 Mustang, and the visual similarities are obvious. There’s no question in our mind that a throwback 302 special edition model will be in the Mustang’s future.

Value

The Mustang has built a reputation for delivering V8 power on the cheap; it’s one of the marque’s cornerstones. But historically, cheap power has also come packaged with cheap design, cheap interior, cheap build quality, cheap etc, etc, etc. The 2010 has broken the cycle of cheapness on all fronts except for price. With an expected base of about $28,850 for the GT, the Mustang represents an exceptional value which not only delivers visceral V8 power, but a rock-solid, well-built, attractive muscle car that can be daily driven with comfort and evokes a tinge of, dare we say, sophistication.

Who Should Buy It?

The clear, obvious and consistent answer is Mustang enthusiasts. It doesn’t matter if the car only came with three wheels and a missing door, so long as a V8 is under the hood, pony-partial patrons would still buy it. But the not so clear and obvious answer is someone looking for a sporty, attractive rear-wheel-drive coupe powered by a V8 who would never in a million years ever even consider a Mustang because of its historically bad quality reputation and seemingly unshakable mullethead stigma.

Conclusion

Our week with the new Mustang was far too short. It’s without question the car that was hardest to part with. We still dream about the raucous growl of full-throttle stomps and the aggressive looks in Grabber Blue which generated countless stop-and-chats and thumbs-up on the open road. Not only did this car make us feel special because it’s preproduction, but it made us feel good because it’s a quality product with an iconic American badge that’s made in North America. Let’s hope Ford can make it through the financial maelstrom intact, because if they do, the glory days will be upon us once again.

Build Interior Performance Handling Styling Value Overall
Rating 5.0 5.0 5.0 4.5 4.5 4.5 4.75/A-
Old 04-18-2009, 03:51 AM
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

Great review! Man, I want that Grabber Blue GT right there!
Old 04-18-2009, 04:20 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pkvir
While getting my first oil change in my F150, I was walking the lot looking at the new cars. I noticed the 2010 Mustangs, especailly a White GT. It had a 5 speed auto, upgraded wheels and back up camera; MSRP about $34,000.00. As a past owner of Mustangs, an 02 5.0 LX 5 speed notchback and an 04 GT, I have a spot in my heart for them. I was so tempted to ask to take a test drive, but didn't want to bother the salesman or take time away from a possible sale so I didn't.

Low and behold, the Finance Manager saw me and came out with the keys saying " Hey Paul, you want to take it for a spin". When we took off, I was very conservative with my driving. He advised me "give it some gas, punch it. I have the traction control on" He also told me he took it out and took off the TC, "no problems lighting them up"

Here are my thoughts.

Exterior:
Minor changes over the pervious model, seems a littler rounder and muscular. I realy like the upgraded wheels. Overall a good update.

Interior:
High quality materials, especailly the leather seats. It was on par with my 09 Lariat, but felt cramped. The back seats were pretty much a joke and not for adults. Everything felt tight and well put together.

Engine:
Before my 09 Lariat, I owned a 06 IS 350, so I will compare it to my old Lexus. This car is fast. My seat of the pants guess would be 0-60 in the low 5 seconds and 1/4 mile mid to high 13.'s. It felt a little quicker then the IS. What really makes the difference is the SWEET sounds the engine makes. The exhaust has a nice rumble upon start up, and just gets better the more you gun it. You can also hear the engine sucking air when giving it some gas. Again, the engine sounds terrific compared to the non sounds the Lexus made.

All in all it is a very nice update and feel it is Fords best effort in the Mustang to date.

One more thing as you probably already know. Never buy the first Mustang GT to hit the dealership. Everyone has driven the crap out of it.
Nice review. What year was your notch again?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:44 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

on thursday i got out of class a little early and i had seen an email form a local dealer about them having the new mustangs in. i figured i'd drop by and check them out. all i can say is wow. from the get go i liked the new body changes to the stang but seeing them in person made it really pop...that hood bulge gave me a bulge! i drove a 2010 GT and i have to say it felt like it had more kick then the 2008 bullitt i drove. i know they are supposed to be the same but i'm not sure why but when i punched the 2010 she let loose! comparing the GT's tranny to my v6 tranny, well you can't compare. the GT shift was smooth, the clutch flawless, didn't seem to miss a gear in high rpm's, it was a lot of fun. getting back into my v6 was interesting...i could feel a lot of the differences.

i really loved the interior, i drove the one with a nav screen, back up camera, and all that jazz, and it was nice except the audio controls buttons were tiny, the volume control was about the size of a nickel or a penny. but the shifter, the reworked dash, the center console, the door handles even were just much nicer i believe in the 05's.

seeing as how i sold my car, i'm going to be in the market for a new one but not for at least 6 months since i want to pay off my credit card debt. now before i get flamed let me say this, i got into muscle cars because of camaro's. i'm planning on either a 2ss/rs camaro or the 2010 gt premium but i'd have to drive the camaro to see which one takes the cake, so far i'm leaning towards the mustang because i enjoyed mine so much.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:39 AM
kinoman2002
2nd Gear Member

Great review MollyHulk! I can't wait to sit in my 2010 GT (but red candy). You omitted one detail. The antenna was moved from the front right to rear right. It is much shorter as well. About 2 years ago I downloaded a 2007 Mustang GT wallpaper from the Ford official website and guess what. The antenna which is situated in the front was Photoshopped completely out, so I assume Ford understood at that time that it shouldn't be there. I knew then that in the future model the antenna will be moved somewhere else.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:44 PM
pkvir

Originally Posted by Baddog
Nice review. What year was your notch again?
1992 not 2002. And I had a 1994 GT not 04. I guess a had a few beers when I wrote the review. I really loved the 92 5.0. It was a basic 5.0 5 speed nothback (Biminey blue). I think it seamed faster then it was because in those days there was no Limited Slip or Traction control. Just pure tail sliding fun.

If i remember right, the 1994 GT had the 5.0 from the T-bird. Needless to say, not much fun. I wrecked it on an icey bridge a couple of months after I had it (16 car pile up) and once it was fixed, I sold it ASAP. I haven't driven a mustang since 1994 and needless to say, the 2010 Mustang ROCKS.

Last edited by pkvir; 04-18-2009 at 02:48 PM.