Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two annoying problems that make no sense.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default Two annoying problems that make no sense.

I'm having two really stange problems with my car latley. First when I close my trunk I get the trunk ajar light on constantly, no matter what happens. Even if it's open, even if I close it repeatedly, in every situation. This just popped up a week ago.

Second my car is making a chuckling sound or a sound like a running train from he left front tire. Now I know most of you are going to point out that these are the front strut mounts, and it does sound like the problems people have had with those, but here's what gets everything in a mess with the theory. I have full coil over suspension with an integrated mount, and I had the sound even before the coilovers with Saleen springs. The sound only appears when I don't drive the car for a while and goes away after I've driven it for 2 weeks. It's audible at all speed and stops when the car is sitting. It gets worse the faster you go.

What's going on?

Last edited by Legion5; 04-11-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I don't have the IUP, so the light on my dash could indicate either one of the doors or the trunk is not closed--can't tell which from the light. Can you tell for sure that the light is trying to tell you it is the trunk that is not closed? If so, is the trunk light on when the trunk is closed? Assuming you don't want to climb into the trunk to check, you can just lower the rear seatback and look into the trunk.

When you lock the car with the key fob, do you get the proper indication that the doors and trunk are closed?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:54 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

You could trade it in! LOL Both problems solved at once!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:55 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

There is a switch visable when you open the trunk.
Its on the inside of the trunk lid jamb near the locking
mechanisim. Its under a little accordian looking rubber boot.
The plastuc cover over the lock area removes quite easily with
two spring fastners. Just give her a good tug. Then
investigate the switch that indicates that the trunk is closed.

Last edited by 157dB; 04-11-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:13 PM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
I'm having two really stange problems with my car latley. First when I close my trunk I get the trunk ajar light on constantly, no matter what happens. Even if it's open, even if I close it repeatedly, in every situation. This just popped up a week ago.

Second my car is making a chuckling sound or a sound like a running train from he left front tire. Now I know most of you are going to point out that these are the front strut mounts, and it does sound like the problems people have had with those, but here's what gets everything in a mess with the theory. I have full coil over suspension with an integrated mount, and I had the sound even before the coilovers with Saleen springs. The sound only appears when I don't drive the car for a while and goes away after I've driven it for 2 weeks. It's audible at all speed and stops when the car is sitting. It gets worse the faster you go.
What's going on?
-It gets worse the faster you go usually has to do with somthing around the wheel and not a shock/strut.
- Only after sitting for a few weeks and goes away after I drive it a while says its with the tire

Lookin at your car pic, Id say those rims arent stock, so your tires arent stock.

My guess is that after sitting a few weeks your getting some flat spots in your tire from the car sitting on them for so long, After driving on the tires a bit you will wear the flat spots back into shape and the noise will go away, but until then, think of a circle with a flat spot carved into it, and then try and spin it, thats where your noise is coming from.

If you do find it to be a flat spot in the tire and u leave you car chilling for weeks at a time often like me, then you can buy flatstoppers from raceramps.com There also made in MI, where ford started out which basically means that MI is the best state ever. Last sentence is a pointless fact, but never the less, it is fact =)

HTH
Old 04-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT06GT
-It gets worse the faster you go usually has to do with somthing around the wheel and not a shock/strut.
- Only after sitting for a few weeks and goes away after I drive it a while says its with the tire

Lookin at your car pic, Id say those rims arent stock, so your tires arent stock.

My guess is that after sitting a few weeks your getting some flat spots in your tire from the car sitting on them for so long, After driving on the tires a bit you will wear the flat spots back into shape and the noise will go away, but until then, think of a circle with a flat spot carved into it, and then try and spin it, thats where your noise is coming from.

If you do find it to be a flat spot in the tire and u leave you car chilling for weeks at a time often like me, then you can buy flatstoppers from raceramps.com There also made in MI, where ford started out which basically means that MI is the best state ever. Last sentence is a pointless fact, but never the less, it is fact =)

HTH
Only one problem with your theory the sound has a decidedly metallic feeling to it. It happens usually when my car spends some time in a shop usually about 4 weeks and they drive it about a mile in that time, but they do drive it.

I have 3 sets of wheels that I change regularly and that doesn't help or hurt the sound. The problem seemed to arise about a month after I switched from Saleen springs to Steeda springs. I did no other mods at that time.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:11 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Stupid offering here, but my buddy with an 08 cali spec had his tire pressure sensor come off in one of his wheels causing it to rattle around inside while he was driving. I thought it was very bizarre and had never heard of such a thing happen. Maybe something's loose?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:09 PM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

Any chance of a recording of the sound or a more detailed description?