Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear mounted vs. Underhood

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:29 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

underhood here:

all pipes are wrapped with header wrap
coated with ceramic coating
using a turbo blanket on the turbine

stays cool as a cucumber under my carbon fiber hood

Old 04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whitealexander
i also agree that rear mount would be a good idea..
Care to elaborate why?

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
Where in FL are you at?

I have a friend with an LS1 GTO that has a rear mounted STS. I've never heard him have any troubles with rain here in FL. The only thing I hear him complain about is traction.
I'm located in South Florida. Davie to be exact.

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
underhood here:

all pipes are wrapped with header wrap
coated with ceramic coating
using a turbo blanket on the turbine

stays cool as a cucumber under my carbon fiber hood

Is this a custom turbo set up? Or is it a kit? Do you have any tips for someone who might be going turbo or anything that could help? I'd really like to know AS MUCH as possible.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:52 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Nvm *****. I remembered that you were the one with that turbo thread..

Hmm. Seems like you went through a lot. Want to make your 42 page thread short for me?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:06 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

there have been a lot of posts on this forum re sts turbos. Not sure about this but thought one guy sold his system and went to supercharger. If you do go sts you should know that turbos eliminate rear mufflers so if u went with one turbo only you would have a muffler on one side and a turbo on the other and uneven backpressure. I would do two units instead of one. BUT this is complicated stuff involving injectors, fuel pumps, computer tune etc. One wrong setting and your engine goes boom . Thats why I did the whipple installed by the dealer. Fear but I never regretted it.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Rskapof
2nd Gear Member

In florida you should not have too much problem with dirt and debris, water from afternoon thunderstorm maybe. I am in Tallahassee, FL right now and i can wash my car and it looks clean until i wash it a week later (except for all the stupid pollen).

I had no idea the STS rear mounted turbos did not have turbo lag, i would only assume that all the extra piping from the rear would cause a lot of cold air to compress at the back of the car before it actually gets to the engine causing a slow moving pressure wave of compressed air. I also thought the high pressure side of the turbine would take some time to build up enough heat and pressure to create boost. On an under the hood turbo system the header is the only exhaust component that needs to build pressure, on a rear mounted STS turbo system the engine will have to create a high pressure zone in the header and the piping all the way to the rear of the car so i only assumed that this would take a considerable amount of time compared to a conventional under the hood turbo system.

Though i have heard someone say that STS turbo systems throws out all logic and it still works great so i could be wrong?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Alright. I think I might go with an under hood system simply because of the fact that if I went with the STS I would only have 1 muffler. Even if I could have the other tip there it wouldn't be REAL. I just don't like that. Twins are too expensive so that's out of the question but I guess I'll do my research on under hood kits. Can anyone throw in their 2 cents about under hood turbo kits? I'd love to get someone who has an under hood turbo kit to chime in.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:16 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

***** is the man he did his himself...props
Old 04-13-2009, 08:15 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yc420
Seems like you went through a lot. Want to make your 42 page thread short for me?
it was alot of work,least you could do it read the thread,lol, it was worth it for me. i like to be able to say i did it all myself and it turned out great.

Originally Posted by yc420
Can anyone throw in their 2 cents about under hood turbo kits? I'd love to get someone who has an under hood turbo kit to chime in.
thought i already did that? i went under the hood because i wanted to pop my hood at shows and have something to show off. turbo is expensive and it would suck to expalin to someone that its up under the car and not be able to show it off.

Originally Posted by fakesnake
there have been a lot of posts on this forum re sts turbos. Not sure about this but thought one guy sold his system and went to supercharger. If you do go sts you should know that turbos eliminate rear mufflers so if u went with one turbo only you would have a muffler on one side and a turbo on the other and uneven backpressure. I would do two units instead of one. BUT this is complicated stuff involving injectors, fuel pumps, computer tune etc. One wrong setting and your engine goes boom . Thats why I did the whipple installed by the dealer. Fear but I never regretted it.

you cant believe everything you read on the internet about different set ups, as far as i know with the sts you would not have any mufflers, the 2 exhaust piping from the front would go into one pipe up where the original h-pipe was, that one would be feeding the turbo, then out of the turbo your downpipe would stick out of one side of the bumper as a tip, then the wastegate pipe would go to the other side of the bumper as another tip.there would be no "unequal backpressure", LOL.

Last edited by one eyed willy; 04-13-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:35 AM
07 S197
2nd Gear Member

Hellion all the way
Old 04-13-2009, 03:43 PM
blackcrow

Next week *****'s going to wire his electronic throttle to the fan relay and run it off his on board LAN to NASA to ensure he runs at the correct temp based on real time global atmospheric conditions. Oh yea after he makes his own installation tools

.............bbbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaawww!!!!!! ! awesome! lol!!!!

Quick Reply: Rear mounted vs. Underhood