Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help req: Pic or description for orientation of Driver's side axle back hanger

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:17 PM
TheNJDevil
1st Gear Member

Default Help req: Pic or description for orientation of Driver's side axle back hanger

I'm in the middle of putting in a new axle-back and on the driver's side and I messed up the orientation of the last black hanger. The one furthest from the mid-pipe. For the life of me I can't figure out how the heck it's supposed to go back on, which direction, it's turned into a Rubiks cube puzzle.

Can anyone take a quick pic for me.

Many thanks.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

This is the passenger side, but it should be oriented the same, with the exception of the long tab pointing the other way.....Hope it helps....

And don't feel bad, they never look like they are oriented the right way..

Mike

Old 04-12-2009, 08:26 PM
TheNJDevil
1st Gear Member

Hey Mike, thanks so much for all your help, including questions from TMS.

Here's the thing that's weird, the Driver's side bracket is different than the passenger's side. See pics below. I thought I had it on right the first time but it's a bigger piece and that extra piece of metal is in the way or keeps hitting the SSS exhaust. Then I switched it the other way and it still won't go and then I went back and forth and forgot which way the original orientation was.

Since we have the same exhaust, I'd definitely love to see pictures (if possible) of how you have your driver's side bracket oriented.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:27 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

well, I know this is not what you want to hear, but, I have no idea what that big black piece is.....the muffler bracket is the same on both sides, but I have no idea where that black piece came from....Let me run out and look at mine real quick.....
Old 04-12-2009, 09:51 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I'm confused. I have no idea what that black piece is. Mine is an 05, unless something changed....

This is the front bracket on the drivers side....

And this is the rear hanger....

Old 04-12-2009, 10:28 PM
TheNJDevil
1st Gear Member

Thanks so much for going out to your car and taking the pics.

I have an 08, looks like they changed the bracket between 05 and 08. Now I'm sort of stuck. Not sure how to proceed . . . maybe just saw off the extra piece . . . going to have to sleep on it.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:03 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

So I started nosing around, and found this.....

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...s-hangers.html

I found this text quite interesting, and probably your issue......

Now you can swap out your Mustang's exhaust hanger hardware for pure 304 Stainless Steel! These hangers feature OEM style construction but ditch the rust prone factory steel for 304 Stainless!
They work with any aftermarket or stock cat-back exhaust system and will be the last hangers your Mustang will ever need! This kit fits all 2005-2007 Mustang V8 and V6 and is also the required hardware for installing a True Dual GT Cat-Back on V6 Mustangs!

Applications:
  • 2005-2007 Mustangs All V8 & V6
  • Required for 2005-2007 V6 with True Dual GT Cat Back Conversion
  • Required for mid-2007+ Axle-Back & Cat-Back Installation*
*Sometime during the mid-production run on 2007 Mustangs, Ford realized that they were loosing money on the intricate metal/rubber exhaust hanger they designed for the 2005+ Mustangs. Thus they switched over to a cheaper rubber only hanger system to attach the factory exhaust. Unfortunately, this system will ONLY work with factory exhaust and will not allow for installation of aftermarket exhaust. Switching to the 2005 to mid-2007 style hangers solves this problem and will allow for installation of any 2005+ Exhaust System on late production 2007
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mlcrycc
So I started nosing around, and found this.....

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...s-hangers.html

I found this text quite interesting, and probably your issue......

[/B]
Yep, these are exactly what I had to buy in order to correctly and safely install my SLP LoudMouths. To the OP, you'll definitely need these.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

The long part of the rear-most driver side bracket should point up and attach the the part of the frame that is facing the rear quarter panel (not the side facing the spare tire). That much info should make the rest of it line up.

The short part of the bracket will be on the bottom side of the frame between the muffler and the frame.

I have installed FRPP Stingers, FRPP GTAs, and Borla Streets on my '08 GT without purchasing any new brackets.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:57 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

That driver side bracket is unique to "08" and up models..I had the same problem on my 08. I dont know why ford decided they needed a longer bulky bracket with a third bolt...but its totally useless and you can just cut-off the end of the bracket(behind the actual hanger) with a saw or torch or buy another hanger.I just happened to have a set from my last car lying around.. so thats what i did and it fits much better!

Quick Reply: Help req: Pic or description for orientation of Driver's side axle back hanger