Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing the car when it's lowered?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:53 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Default Servicing the car when it's lowered?

Got the oil changed at the dealer today and talked with the mechanic about my car and told him I was planning on lowering it with the FRPP springs and they shipped out today. He told me that I would have to take it somewhere else to have service because their lift couldn't get under the car's body kit. So what will I do if I need servicing, and I can change the oil at the house, but how will I dispose of it? I feel like I'm in a jam here...
Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Yep, our lift struggles with some cars but we use a floor jack to jack it up, then slide in the posts. its a pain in the ***. ask around see if your friends know of a good local shop. before you take it anywhere tho, mention that its lowered.

One of our guys cracked the side skirt on an AUDI because it was lowerd, he used the wrong saddle for the lift and when he lowed the floor jack the lift was still higher than the chassis...we replaced it for free and did the whole service for free but it was a pain.

see if any garages still use pits. its like a hole in the ground the car goes over and the mechanic stands under it in the pit.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:22 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Thanks. I think I might just see where I can dispose of the oil and do it myself. Plan on getting a low profile floor jack and some jack stands soon. My main concern is the "what if something goes wrong" and have to have it repaired somewhere...
Old 04-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

my car is lowered with the pro-kit and the classic chin spoiler and my dealer doesn't have any problems getting it on their lift. They just lay out some 2x4's to drive up on before putting it on the lift. I do my own oil changes anyway though. It's a lot cheaper!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris07GT
my car is lowered with the pro-kit and the classic chin spoiler and my dealer doesn't have any problems getting it on their lift. They just lay out some 2x4's to drive up on before putting it on the lift. I do my own oil changes anyway though. It's a lot cheaper!
Just take it to an autoparts store to despose of it?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

i am defiantly a full go on changing your own oil! its simple. just make sure you use appropriate lift points and NEVER go under a car without jack stands. i dont care if you pay thousands of dollars for a good floor jack, the hydraulic can always fail.

Pep Boys or i think even Kragen dispose of oil. Just buy a waste oil pan from kragen for like $2 and drain it in there and to remove the filter, i like to put a ziploc bag round it and unscrew it into there because its not as messy.

Before you do it, run the car for a min or two to get the oil circulated and be careful, it may be hot.

And while youve got er up on jack stands, rotate the wheels.

The two back wheels go directly forwad and the two front ones cross over and go on the back.

make sure you torque the lugs down. i believe the mustang is 85 FT lbs
Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

yeah, I take my oil to Autozone and dispose of it. No big deal.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the imput!
Old 04-14-2009, 12:34 AM
scheetz83
2nd Gear Member

Hey

Go out and buy some 2x6s. I made a set of ramps that are 6ft long and are 4 2x6s tall.

________
|________\________
|_________________\_______
|_________________________\_______
|_________________________________\

they work great. And i am not the smallest of guy!
Old 04-14-2009, 12:39 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by ryanralston07
Got the oil changed at the dealer today and talked with the mechanic about my car and told him I was planning on lowering it with the FRPP springs and they shipped out today. He told me that I would have to take it somewhere else to have service because their lift couldn't get under the car's body kit. So what will I do if I need servicing, and I can change the oil at the house, but how will I dispose of it? I feel like I'm in a jam here...
Originally Posted by ryanralston07
Just take it to an autoparts store to despose of it?
Beat me to it!...most automotive stores have a place to dispose of it and have a max of like 12 qts at a time....places like Autozone, Murrays, and pep boys

Quick Reply: Servicing the car when it's lowered?