Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Day - Big rig tire on interstate

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 05:15 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Default Bad Day - Big rig tire on interstate

So I woke up this morning with a really sore throat and went to the doctor instead of going in to work. On my way in to work after going to the doctor, I was in the middle lane of a 3 lane stretch of I-85. I was behind 2 18 wheeler trucks and the one in the very front pops a tire and his entire rubber of his tire lies down right in the middle of my lane. I dont notice until it is halfway under the 2nd big rig in front of me and there are cars on both sides of me so the only option is to hit the brakes and hold on. The car jumps into the air and when I land, I hear something dragging behind me. I immediately get off on the exit ramp right next to me and look to see that my front bumper is all scratched up, one of my sideskirts seems to be broken, the plastic cover under the radiator is broken in half and dragging on the concrete, and my rear bumper is halfway torn off the rear of my car.

So I might be looking for cheap take off or new front bumper, side skirts, and rear bumper if anyone has any good places they know of to find these parts.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:27 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Insurance claim?

Did you get the info of the big rig, or did he just keep going? Best to get the company name and stuff.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
So I woke up this morning with a really sore throat and went to the doctor instead of going in to work. On my way in to work after going to the doctor, I was in the middle lane of a 3 lane stretch of I-85. I was behind 2 18 wheeler trucks and the one in the very front pops a tire and his entire rubber of his tire lies down right in the middle of my lane. I dont notice until it is halfway under the 2nd big rig in front of me and there are cars on both sides of me so the only option is to hit the brakes and hold on. The car jumps into the air and when I land, I hear something dragging behind me. I immediately get off on the exit ramp right next to me and look to see that my front bumper is all scratched up, one of my sideskirts seems to be broken, the plastic cover under the radiator is broken in half and dragging on the concrete, and my rear bumper is halfway torn off the rear of my car.

So I might be looking for cheap take off or new front bumper, side skirts, and rear bumper if anyone has any good places they know of to find these parts.
Are you getting insurance involved? I got rear ended and upgraded to the gt/cs rear. I only payed about 170 for the upgrade the rest was taken care of. There is a take off saleen front on craiglist in atlanta for $525, not sure what color your car is though
Old 04-15-2009, 05:32 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I never saw the truck that lost the tire and he never pulled over.... I am sure I am not the only person that hit that tire today either. That tire was at least 10" high and took up 3/4 of the middle lane of the interstate!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on insurance claim first, THEN see what you have to lay out to upgrade or simply repair.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I'm Alloy metallic. My insurance deductable is $1k so hopefully I will be paying for this myself and not have to involve insurance. I will look under the car tomorrow to see if anything mechanical such as suspension or drivetrain was damaged. I am hoping right now that it is just cosmetic damage.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:21 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

um no go through insurance
your 1k deductable is eaten up with the front and rear bumpers alone. so just go through insurance and get it all done, right, especially if there is anything else messed up.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:30 PM
07 Cervini
2nd Gear Member

sounds like an excuse to get a cervini body kit
Old 04-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Here ya go man cheaper than 1,000 bucks
http://www.newtakeoff.com
Old 04-15-2009, 07:46 PM
ws7139
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy7701
Here ya go man cheaper than 1,000 bucks
http://www.newtakeoff.com
sorry to hear that happened to your car but newtakeoff is a really good place for stock replacement parts.

Quick Reply: Bad Day - Big rig tire on interstate