Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 02:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

How to remove/reinstall the alternator?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Default How to remove/reinstall the alternator?

I threw a P0340 code (Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit
Malfunction), and read a ton of threads saying this code was caused by the alternator creating RF interference.

I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts and they tested the alternator, and came up with a bad diode. I also got a second opinion from Ford and they said the output was low. The car has also had some idling issues and surging issues.

I found a place locally where I can have the alternator rebuilt (I had another 2006 Mustang GT, where the alternator went out 3 different times, so I don't want to keep replacing it... unless it's cost effective with a good warranty)

The only problem is they need the alternator taken out of the car first, since all they do is rebuild alternators they will not take it out of the car for me.

Does anyone know where I can find a guide or instructions to do this?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Here you go. Apparently the alternator is not an alternator and is, instead, a generator? Or at least is referred to as such in the shop manuals. Anyway, that should have everything you need to know.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:51 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Thanks!
Not sure if I will be able to do it but at least gives me an idea of how much I should pay someone to do it.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Honestly, swapping an alternator is just about the easiest mechanical work there is under the hood. (At least on a RWD car. Some of the FWD setups are almost impossible to get to.) You should be able to have that out in less than 10 minutes with a ratchet and a couple sockets.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

its not hard at all. use a breaker bar or 1/2" driver to loosen the tensioner pulley. Remove the two bolts on top of the alternator bracket, then the two on the bottom should loosen slightly. No need to remove the bottom bolts cos the alternator just sits on top of those bolts. Loosen the red power cable and small sensor wires. Finally, sit back and enjoy a beer...you just removed your alternator. reverse the steps for install (use some Red Loctite to secure the bolts)
Old 04-16-2009, 09:42 AM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

duuuuuude i have had the same problem and never got an answer on here and never figured out the problem and still have it to this day, i dont get that code very often anymore but it still happens randomly. looks like im going to oreilly to get it tested!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

What do they do when they "rebuild" these devices? I've heard that often times it's just the brushes.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:54 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Remove the NEGATIVE cable first from the battery and reconnect it LAST when done.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=370
Old 04-16-2009, 11:43 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I changed my alt just like a month ago. Took like 30 minutes and I didnt even need instructions, it was very straight forward. All I did was removed the intake tube and the throttle body. Took off the belt and loosened the bolts holding on the alts mounting bracket. After that took the alt off the bracket and disconnected the power cable. Then reversed it to put the new one back on and fired it up. Was surprised how easy it was but then i remembered its a ford!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 PM
orangepegs

Default 6-groove serpentine or clutch pulley?

Look, I have a 2006 Mustang GT ALL stock. My alternator crapped out on me yesterday, and I'm going to replace it myself. Problem is that when i put it in my shopping cart on paperformance.com, it requires me to check a bubble that says 6-groove serpentine or clutch pulley. What the heck do I choose? The clutch pulley adds $40 or so... the 6-groove serp is at no additional cost.

I'm leaning towards free, but don't want to screw up my order. any words of wisdom out there?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove/reinstall the alternator?