Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18's vs 20's

Old 04-17-2009, 06:56 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

It's all personal preference. You're gonna hear good & bad regarding both, ie: looks, weight, ride quality, performance, etc... For me, I went with 20's, because I like the look that they give my car and my car will never see a track (as long as I own it).
Old 04-17-2009, 07:50 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SikO7GT
20's are heavier, make you have lower gear ratio, and a rougher ride!!
I personally dont have them but from the posts i have read this is the problem with them!!
On the plus side they look awesome on our cars!!
I think 18's with a fat tire looks really good too!! more old school muscle type look!!
That would depend on the overall tire diameter. 'Taller' than stock tires will numerically lower your final drive ratio and 'shorter' than stock tires will numerically increase your final drive ratio. By how much, I haven't a clue.

Also, 20s FTW!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlugo_70
im planning on ordering some new rims and im debating between 18s and 20s. y would like 20s but i hear they make your car go alot slower. i know there heavier, but is there really a big diffrence on how ur mustang performes?
Any difference in street performance comes from how much heavier and how much taller the tires are than the ~27" OE sizes. Do some research.

As a more practical matter for a daily driver, the sidewalls of 20" tires that are about 27" tall will be 1" shorter than 27" tall 18" sizes. Translation: 20's are more likely to suffer pinch flats and bent wheels.
The poster child for this situation lives just down the road from me, has two cars with big wheels/short sidewall tires, and on any given day at least one of them is either running on the spare or sitting on a flat.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-17-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Does the OP even plan on racing? 1/4 mile times may not even matter. Mustangs have fairly large wheel wells. 20's fit without sacrificing to much tire and no speedometer changes are required if you get the right size.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SikO7GT
20's are heavier, make you have lower gear ratio, and a rougher ride!!
I personally dont have them but from the posts i have read this is the problem with them!!
On the plus side they look awesome on our cars!!
I think 18's with a fat tire looks really good too!! more old school muscle type look!!
Get your facts straight. Your first two statements can be said for 18's as well. There are several 18's that weigh more than 20's and there are 20's that will fit without making any changes to your gear ratio while there are 18's that WILL require a change. The buyer just needs to make sure they order the right size tires.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:31 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Dont buy 19 inch rims- nobody makes good tires for 19s and the selection is totally limited.

20" rims will usually weigh more than 18" rims. 20" rims have limited drag tire choices. You can get Nittos in a drag radial for 20s (which are not really good) or use a street tire but the low sidewall of a 20" tire is not conducive to getting traction.
18" rims are large enough and you can get a huge selection of tire brands, sizes and types. Drag radials from everybody and in different widths and heights.
20" rims are just for bling factor and it is a personal choice. I like the old school look with big meat in back. Some like the big rim modern thug look. If you are about going fast forget the 20s though.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zkiller
Dont buy 19 inch rims- nobody makes good tires for 19s and the selection is totally limited.

20" rims will usually weigh more than 18" rims. 20" rims have limited drag tire choices. You can get Nittos in a drag radial for 20s (which are not really good) or use a street tire but the low sidewall of a 20" tire is not conducive to getting traction.
18" rims are large enough and you can get a huge selection of tire brands, sizes and types. Drag radials from everybody and in different widths and heights.
20" rims are just for bling factor and it is a personal choice. I like the old school look with big meat in back. Some like the big rim modern thug look. If you are about going fast forget the 20s though.
You are on crack if you think there aren't good tires for 19" wheels...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:45 AM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

You can have 20's and have your meat too. Check the sig....295/40/20
Old 04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lrgnation
You are on crack if you think there aren't good tires for 19" wheels...
You cannot deny there are less options for 19's versus 18's and 20's. Plus the few options you do have are costly.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

I run faster times with my 20s than the stock wheels/tires because of traction due to increased footprint size! I do agree that the bling factor does increase to quite a desirable level. 'Thug' would be chrome spinners, but think what you like.

Search this Thread