Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about stock Pirelli P Zero Nero tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:55 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Ok, thanks for all this great feeback. To sum up, looks like the stock Pirellis are ok tires--not great but decent--but don't have the roar issues reported on Tire Rack.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:08 PM
TotoGT06
2nd Gear Member

No noise problems here with 17000miles
Old 04-19-2009, 06:08 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Got 25k on mine and no problems. Haven't noticed any problems in the wet either, but I don't drive like a maniac, especially when the roads are wet.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by atldave
However, I've read some bad reviews about the tires on TireRack. The big complaint, I hear, is that the tires get an extremely loud tire roar after a few thousand miles. Several say it's the loudest tire they've ever heard.
Maybe go back and check what cars were being driven by the people with the biggest complaints, and what their type of driving was. Comments don't always mean much unless you have some idea where the person making them is coming from.

Noise response is not equal from one car to another, and (for example) the guy who drives mildly/mostly highway is probably going to be a lot fussier about noise than the guy whose driving is "spirited".

(Edit - I believe that you can filter the reviews by car make, driving style, etc. Try that, too.)

The demo I drove before I bought my own GT had the Pirellis, and if there had been any unusual amount of road noise I'm sure that either my wife or I would have noticed it. Then again, the Pirellis that come as OE on the car directly from Ford are not necessarily identical to the same Pirellis that you'd buy yourself at Tire Rack or wherever, even though the sidewalls say they're the same model and size.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-19-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Razorbackfan
2nd Gear Member

I bought those a year ago. Very happy with them.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 AM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

I have these OEM tires (17") on my vehicle and I think their a good all-around tire...not noisy by my standards. Although some tires do better than others in certain catagories, i think any tire would be hard-pressed to keep a higher-horsepower, solid rear axle vehicle under control. I would consider buying them again.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:31 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all of this helpful feedback. The same tire is going to behave a little differently on every car. Nobody seems to be complaining about noise or wet handling with Pirellis on the Mustang. I know that there are much better tires out there than the Pirellis, but the EBay deal for $499 for both Bullitt rims and the tires is just to good to pass up. I have a V6 with auto tranny, so I'm not putting nearly the demands on my tires that you GT owners do. The Pirellis will be a whole lot better than the Kumho Solus tires that I've got now.

Thanks, guys!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:33 PM
rjg426
1st Gear Member

I'm at 30,000 miles with the original Pirellis and they'll probably last about another 10K (probably more than many others here). The only complaint I have is that they have a vibrating issue for the first few minutes of driving after a few days. Some shaking of the steering wheel like an out-of-balance condition, but they're not out of balance and it's the same when I rotate them. They seem to get slight flat spots when sitting for a few days. But it go away after the first few minutes. Other than that, I've been happy with them.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:06 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rjg426
I'm at 30,000 miles with the original Pirellis and they'll probably last about another 10K (probably more than many others here). The only complaint I have is that they have a vibrating issue for the first few minutes of driving after a few days. Some shaking of the steering wheel like an out-of-balance condition, but they're not out of balance and it's the same when I rotate them. They seem to get slight flat spots when sitting for a few days. But it go away after the first few minutes. Other than that, I've been happy with them.
Yeah, I heard the same from lots of other users on the Tire Rack site. Seems to be a common issue with the tire. Seems like there's no real harm done--just a little annoyance.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM
russje
2nd Gear Member

I roasted those tires, but in a v6 you may have better luck. As for noise the Eagle GT's I put on are way louder than the stock Pirelli's.

Quick Reply: Question about stock Pirelli P Zero Nero tires