Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 Stroker Build Done, Numbers Are In

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 PM
TheMadScientist

What fuel?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:40 PM
jimmymustang

premium pump gas, most of the time Mobil
Old 04-21-2009, 11:13 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by jimmymustang
I just put a 5.0 Stroker with Forger Internals under my Whipple 2.3 Blower.
I am using Comp Blower Cams, Port and Polished Heads. I also have the Steeda 10 Rib Pulley set up with their 16# lower pulley.
On a Mustang Dynamometer my car made 621RWHP, 561#Torque.
The Steeda only made14.9 PSI, the AFR was12.2
I am very pleased with my numbers, it would be more but we maxed out the Whipple. Tomorow I will take it to the street, for today it is raining. I can't wait to get on the road. I hope to have the video of the Dyno pull to post in the next couple of days.
Dont ge me wrong I think the setup is great but since you have confirmed the pump gas for the fuel I worry about the car being a little lean. Remember I wanted the similar setup and will run many of the same mods you have for the motor and its fuel supply.
Originally Posted by TheMadScientist
All depends on the fuel used and if meth/water injection was used. And if you keep IAT down you don't need the extra fuel to cool the charge to stop det.
I understand that but had no info at the time and since I had spoke to him in the past I assumed he was using pump gas which he is.
Originally Posted by moosestang
I'm sure compression ratio plays a role. Assuming it isn't 9.8:1.

Why only 14.9psi? I thought steeda was coming out with smaller pulleys?
Its the 16# pulley and they advertise that its 13+ psi dependent on application and supporting mods...but quarantee 13 psi
Originally Posted by TheMadScientist
Get the right fuel for compression+boost and you can run what ever combo you want. Remember the F1 cars from the 80's that ran tolulene/water/meth fuels. High compression and lots of boost.

Any way 12.2 is lean on just pump fuel at ~15psi.
I agree and he is not running high compression.

Jim- the car and the build I am sure are fine I just would question the A/F ratio with the tuner....just tell him you understand that most boosted applications I have read about run a richer A/F ratio (like 11.3-11.7-give or take) and I currently have my max timing at 19 degrees. I also run about 11.2-11.5 A/F ratio across the board....
Some might remember that my first tune was pig rich (10.9) in 93 deg heat and 69% hunidity and at sea level-SAE corrected....had returned for some start issues and the new tune yeilded 10 more RWHP and the A/F ratio posted above in the 11's. It was 65 deg and 40% humidity that day.

Point being all cars are different and I really cant compare my motor to yours as we have very different setups now and all things will vary in the type and programming of the tune..... I also wonder if that is why your dropping off at 4200+ RPMS as your possibly too lean for the upper RPMs and the car will retard timing etc...... just brainstorming a bit.....
Old 04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
bluestorm

Originally Posted by mygt500
Dont ge me wrong I think the setup is great but since you have confirmed the pump gas for the fuel I worry about the car being a little lean. Remember I wanted the similar setup and will run many of the same mods you have for the motor and its fuel supply.

I understand that but had no info at the time and since I had spoke to him in the past I assumed he was using pump gas which he is.

Its the 16# pulley and they advertise that its 13+ psi dependent on application and supporting mods...but quarantee 13 psi

I agree and he is not running high compression.

Jim- the car and the build I am sure are fine I just would question the A/F ratio with the tuner....just tell him you understand that most boosted applications I have read about run a richer A/F ratio (like 11.3-11.7-give or take) and I currently have my max timing at 19 degrees. I also run about 11.2-11.5 A/F ratio across the board....
Some might remember that my first tune was pig rich (10.9) in 93 deg heat and 69% hunidity and at sea level-SAE corrected....had returned for some start issues and the new tune yeilded 10 more RWHP and the A/F ratio posted above in the 11's. It was 65 deg and 40% humidity that day.

.OK....I am not here to get into how long I have been tuning or my methods of tuning. As I have helped out many people on this forum with tunes including other tuning facilities and have tons of experience tuning and building S197 cars, but to clear a few things up for everyone,

Correct all setups are different...I agree 100% ,Jims tune is spot on for his set up, I run my "roots/Screw" blower tunes a tad leaner than my Centrifugal and Turbo tunes which are usually around 11.2-11.8 depending on compression, boost level ,methanol, etc..Etc...This specific set up I have built from top to bottom here at my shop. Custom Cams to crank, rods and pistons to heads.ETC...
lower compression, conservative timing equals where he is at 11.2 on dip in 12.0 across the run and 12.2 as the cars comes out of load, and you always want the car a little leaner out of load. Again that’s extremely specific tuning not a general 11.7 across the board which is great. But we do like to have the A/F react to the cars RPM and boost level not just 11.--and call it all set

Point being all cars are different and I really cant compare my motor to yours as we have very different setups now and all things will vary in the type and programming of the tune..... I also wonder if that is why your dropping off at 4200+ RPMS as your possibly too lean for the upper RPMs and the car will retard timing etc...... just brainstorming a bit.....
The blower is dropping off due to its efficiency level( as I mentioned to Jim it would, due to his set up before we even started this build) With a 9.1 compression level, custom cams and ported heads the car is able to move so much air the blower is just not big enough, which is what we planned on.

Ask Jim how the car starts runs and drives on the street and its manors with big cams, throttle body, tons of instant boost and those big numbers with a "conservative" tune on a Mustang Dyno as he drives this car everyday for work.

I am just stating all this for the "less experienced" guys out there who just pick up on a post and choose to comment as I have no issues with you or your advice as we have spoken,Well posted before in the past together and your advice has always seemed very helpful and your car is sweet.

Just wanted to clear the air a bit before this gets out of hand
Old 04-23-2009, 02:47 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by bluestorm
The blower is dropping off due to its efficiency level( as I mentioned to Jim it would, due to his set up before we even started this build) With a 9.1 compression level, custom cams and ported heads the car is able to move so much air the blower is just not big enough, which is what we planned on.

Ask Jim how the car starts runs and drives on the street and its manors with big cams, throttle body, tons of instant boost and those big numbers with a "conservative" tune on a Mustang Dyno as he drives this car everyday for work.

I am just stating all this for the "less experienced" guys out there who just pick up on a post and choose to comment as I have no issues with you or your advice as we have spoken,Well posted before in the past together and your advice has always seemed very helpful and your car is sweet.

Just wanted to clear the air a bit before this gets out of hand
I do know that boost is a measure of restriction and when you remove all the restriction you get less boost and all the other factors that can affect or change the tune spec to any car. So it looks like I should have you build my motor. From reading your post I assume your the tuner/installer for Jim? Should be easy too as I want all the same mods he has....its funny that we had the same build in mind before ever talking with each other. I have many of the supporting mods already like the Seimens 60# inj's and the GT500 dual pumps and the Whipple blower- just want a bored and stroked 5.0L and dont need the head work and CAMS at this point and I would be happy with close to 600 RWHP on a conservative tune if possible

Anyway thanks for clearing everything up and just wanted to make sure the car was solid and safe based off the info he provided.

Again Congrats on the build Jim
Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

I am up next(car in the shop) for my 5.0 stroker..going with the same shop/tuner...Close to the same build as Jim minus headwork. The only other difference with will be Adam's (ST Motorsports) intake and longtubes(already on the car). I will post the numbers as soon the car is done!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:34 AM
bluestorm

Originally Posted by mygt500
I do know that boost is a measure of restriction and when you remove all the restriction you get less boost and all the other factors that can affect or change the tune spec to any car. So it looks like I should have you build my motor. From reading your post I assume your the tuner/installer for Jim? Should be easy too as I want all the same mods he has....its funny that we had the same build in mind before ever talking with each other. I have many of the supporting mods already like the Seimens 60# inj's and the GT500 dual pumps and the Whipple blower- just want a bored and stroked 5.0L and dont need the head work and CAMS at this point and I would be happy with close to 600 RWHP on a conservative tune if possible

Anyway thanks for clearing everything up and just wanted to make sure the car was solid and safe based off the info he provided.

Again Congrats on the build Jim
My pleasure, you can get that HP all day long...conservative tune...it might be hard, also if its on a Mustang dyno like ours. As Jims tune is conservative but as you mentioned with cams and head work.
I would be happy to build you a Engine..I have another S-197 with pretty much the same build going on now..a few small changes between the two...
I wish you the best of luck with the build and if there is ever anything you might need please feel free to ask and keep us posted on the build up!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:40 AM
bluestorm

Originally Posted by Vcoat
I am up next(car in the shop) for my 5.0 stroker..going with the same shop/tuner...Close to the same build as Jim minus headwork. The only other difference with will be Adam's (ST Motorsports) intake and longtubes(already on the car). I will post the numbers as soon the car is done!
Vic get back to work and get the headers from power coating to me...

This is also going to be another sweet build up, the car is going to rock..I am excited about this build also...the drivability is the key along with the power, Jims car runs and drives awesome!! has a good rumble to the idle and then INSTANT BOOST...very happy with it..and Vic your next!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:00 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Damn impressive numbers there. How much does it cost to get the built engine minus the heads and cams? For street drivebility, s/c or turbo would be ok?
Old 04-23-2009, 07:32 PM
jimmymustang

You should PM bluestorm he is the man to talk to regarding your project. I know that I got a GREAT MOTOR and a GREAT TUNE. The car starts fine and runs very strong. I can't wait to blow the doors off a Viper or a Z06 and have them watch me go by in amazement!!!!

Quick Reply: 5.0 Stroker Build Done, Numbers Are In