Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me out ...RPM issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:11 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

Default Please help me out ...RPM issues

Ok...I'll see if i can explain this to the best of my abilities. And if you guys need videos I can take some. But my car has been having some problems and its been driving me crazy as to what the problem is.

Whats going on is my car is idling strange. I have the idle set to 800 RPMs, I start it up and then the RPMs drop to around 600 and the car sound strange like its struggling. Also after driving it for a little while I coming to a stop the RPMs are bouncing all over the place when I have the clutch out. And not like little bouncing....they bounce from idle or a little or 500 RPMs to about 3,300 RPMs!!!!!!! Also on the up shifts....the RPMs dont drop as i push the clutch in they either stay incline or stay where they are. :119: THe car has even died on me when coming to a stop. I have tried everything. it has new spark plugs..i have cleaned the air filter, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the MAF, re tuned the car. ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY AND IM FREAKING OUT!!!! I just want my car back the way it was.

Someone please help me out.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

My car did something KINDA similiar yesterday.

I was in a little traffic jam and my radar and in-dash screen started flickering. The light was red, so i decided to re-start the car. When i killed it, it wouldn't start back up. Like the batter was dead. I got a jump and the car itself was acting very strange. It was acting as-if it didn't want to be on, coughing and really struggling. I was afraid to drive it the half mile or so to work... once i got it in the parking lot, i let it sit for a few hours. I did disconnect the batter and re-loaded my tune..

I had to get a jump again and the car fired right up, drove it around my work building a couple of times and it was acting very very strange. It wouldn't let me go over like 3500 rpm and when it was idling, it would bog down ever few seconds. After a few mins of listening to it bogging / re-viving i decided to park it and leave it there for the night. While i was parking, the car was still bogging and eventually turned off.

This morning i tried starting it up, and the batter was comlpetely toast. I had it towed to the dealership, and still haven't heard what the problem was. So far, they have told me that my battery is toast and they can't run some tests b/c of my tune. LOL, they even wanted to charge me $100 to turn the car back to stock tune. Yeaaa ok. I told em to use my fking tuner. He said he is still un-sure on if it will be covered under warranty or not..
Old 04-20-2009, 04:39 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whtcanbrwnd04u
My car did something KINDA similiar yesterday.

I was in a little traffic jam and my radar and in-dash screen started flickering. The light was red, so i decided to re-start the car. When i killed it, it wouldn't start back up. Like the batter was dead. I got a jump and the car itself was acting very strange. It was acting as-if it didn't want to be on, coughing and really struggling. I was afraid to drive it the half mile or so to work... once i got it in the parking lot, i let it sit for a few hours. I did disconnect the batter and re-loaded my tune..

I had to get a jump again and the car fired right up, drove it around my work building a couple of times and it was acting very very strange. It wouldn't let me go over like 3500 rpm and when it was idling, it would bog down ever few seconds. After a few mins of listening to it bogging / re-viving i decided to park it and leave it there for the night. While i was parking, the car was still bogging and eventually turned off.

This morning i tried starting it up, and the batter was comlpetely toast. I had it towed to the dealership, and still haven't heard what the problem was. So far, they have told me that my battery is toast and they can't run some tests b/c of my tune. LOL, they even wanted to charge me $100 to turn the car back to stock tune. Yeaaa ok. I told em to use my fking tuner. He said he is still un-sure on if it will be covered under warranty or not..

=/ damn dude that sucks. I hope you find out whats wrong and Let me know as well. And yeah thats what my car feels like ...it feels like its bogging down and dosent want to be driven.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

I just got off the phone with the dealer, and the dude who ive been dealing with decided to take the rest of the day off w/out letting me know what was going on... anyway, they have my battery on a charging station which takes 2-6 hours and my cars status is "on hold"

I'll let you know whats up as soon as i find out..
Old 04-20-2009, 10:45 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Do you have the Active anti theft system? If so, then the battery problem maybe the cause. When mine died, I jumped it and the engine would run until I tried to move it and the car would cut off. I replaced the battery and all is well.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:58 PM
gedyup

Well this is just my opion, but it sounds to me like both of you are having battery issues. My car has not had this problem this bad but it did act kinda like that when i first got it, but mine was a dirty TB. I have had other cars act sluggish when the battery was going bad, these cars have a lot of things that even when the alt. is working right still need a strong battery. I hope I might have helped.....Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

+1 on Battery

I drained my battery completely dead... I had exactly the same symptoms when I pushed started it. The computer was not getting enough juice (low voltage) I charged it and it run for a bit. Then the battery kept on dying almost every time I left the car off for a couple of hours and did not have enough juice to turn the engine. I had it checked and it had a shorted element. Changed the battery never had a problem since. (almost a year now).
Old 04-21-2009, 08:59 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vasman

when I pushed started it. .
I've heard of this from my father's glory days...how is this done?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:16 AM
IcemanBlackGT
1st Gear Member

when your engines were bogging down was your check engine light also on?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
I've heard of this from my father's glory days...how is this done?
With the key in the on position and the car in neutral get the car rolling to a decent speed. Then put the car in first and pop the clutch out fast and push it right back in. The friction of the clutch will turn the motor as if the starter was turning it and in most cases it will start right up. But this is really only if your starter is bad. Older cars would run with only the alternator going, but these modern cars want both to run properly.

Quick Reply: Please help me out ...RPM issues