Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer told me I need new brakes and fuel filter.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:05 AM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Default Dealer told me I need new brakes and fuel filter.

I had to get 4 new tires put on that I bought from another member on here. The dealer said I need new front brake pads and a new fuel filter. Does this sound normal for a 07 GT with only 24,000 miles. How easy is it to replace the fuel filter? I think it is under the rear seats under those plastic things in the middle of the bottom seat well.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Poco
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckydawg003
I had to get 4 new tires put on that I bought from another member on here. The dealer said I need new front brake pads and a new fuel filter. Does this sound normal for a 07 GT with only 24,000 miles. How easy is it to replace the fuel filter? I think it is under the rear seats under those plastic things in the middle of the bottom seat well.
I've gone further than that on a set of pads unless your riding brakes.You should be able to see how thin your pads are by just looking at them from the top side. Check your rotors and see how scored they are. The the surface is scored maybe you would have some bad pad wear.You could always get a second opinion from a brake shop.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:21 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Changing brake pads is easy to do and so is changing your fuel filter. The fuel filter can be purchased for 15 bucks or so from your local auto parts store and it can be installed in less than an hour even if you are really really slow like me. The fuel filter is hidden behind a plastic panel directly under the drivers seat. If you have ramps or jack stands, raise up the front of the car. If you look on the drivers side you will see a black panel being held on by a couple of nuts and push pins. Take this panel off and you will see the fuel filter. It is about the shape of a soda can, except slightly smaller. You just undo the clip from one side and pull that side out then undo the clip from the other side and pull that side out. then swap the new one in paying attention to the arrows. When I did mine, I pulled the fuse for the fuel pump and cranked my car until it wouldnt start to get rid of the fuel pressure. Others say its not necessary, but it will spew some gas. Here is a writeup that explains the whole thing.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...with-pics.html

Just a FYI, always check the Tacobill writeup section because they have writeups for pretty much any procedure you could think of to do to these cars.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

The Owner's Guide says:

"FUEL FILTER

...Replace the fuel filter with an authorized Motorcraft part. The customer warranty may be void for any damage to the fuel system if an authorized Motorcraft fuel filter is not used."

I think that federal law says that the manufacturer must give you the part at no charge if the manufacturer specifies that only one brand can be used to keep the warranty in force.

Scheduled maintenance calls for replacement of the fuel filter at 30,000 miles, so a replacement at 24,000 miles is not unreasonable.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:26 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

They just say that to cover their end in case some idiot puts a home made coffee can and filter in line as a swap. I bought my filter from the dealer for 20 or 30 bucks and changed it at 15k. If you want to be safe, do the same thing, but if you feel like saving 10-15 dollars, just go to autozone. up to you.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:01 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

i replaced mine at 20k with a purolator filter(its what autozone gave me) and the install took me about 45 min(im sure it can be done much faster) and i didnt even jack the car up.

as far as the pads go, 24k seems pretty early unless you're really hard on them. impossible for us to tell what your pads look like over the internet.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:29 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Well I just bought a new fuel filter at pep boys for $16. Will replace mine tomorrow, following the How TO:
Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
The Owner's Guide says:

"FUEL FILTER

...Replace the fuel filter with an authorized Motorcraft part. The customer warranty may be void for any damage to the fuel system if an authorized Motorcraft fuel filter is not used."

I think that federal law says that the manufacturer must give you the part at no charge if the manufacturer specifies that only one brand can be used to keep the warranty in force.

Scheduled maintenance calls for replacement of the fuel filter at 30,000 miles, so a replacement at 24,000 miles is not unreasonable.

no they are not required to give you a free fuel filter. yes the recommended interval is 30,000mi. get a second opinion on the brakes, they shouldnt be worn out yet. unless you drive like like a spaz.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=jwog666;6153936]no they are not required to give you a free fuel filter.QUOTE]

Is there a consumer products attorney in the house? It seems to be a close call. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states, "...No warrrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name..."

The Ford Warranty Guide says, "...To have repairs made under this warranty, you may have to show that you have followed Ford's instructions on properly maintaining and using your vehicle. You will find these instructions in your Owner Guide and Scheduled Maintenance Guide..."

The Owner's Guide does not condition the voiding of the warranty upon showing that the non-Motorcraft fuel filter was the cause of a fuel system problem.

Thus the statement in my previous post that Ford may have to give you the fuel filter at no charge.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:03 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

[quote=Art161;6154260]
Originally Posted by jwog666
no they are not required to give you a free fuel filter.QUOTE]

Is there a consumer products attorney in the house? It seems to be a close call. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states, "...No warrrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name..."

The Ford Warranty Guide says, "...To have repairs made under this warranty, you may have to show that you have followed Ford's instructions on properly maintaining and using your vehicle. You will find these instructions in your Owner Guide and Scheduled Maintenance Guide..."

The Owner's Guide does not condition the voiding of the warranty upon showing that the non-Motorcraft fuel filter was the cause of a fuel system problem.

Thus the statement in my previous post that Ford may have to give you the fuel filter at no charge.
so in that line of thinking ford would have to pay for all your oil changes under warranty.

well they dont, you stand corrected.

for an aftermarket part to effect the warranty it has to be a proven cause of a failure. and as far as replacing it under warranty, the filter is a maintenance item and is not covered. no scum sucking lawyer can bend the law to make that work.

Last edited by jwog666; 04-28-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Dealer told me I need new brakes and fuel filter.