Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed with 4.10s

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:25 AM
JMoraru
2nd Gear Member

Default Disappointed with 4.10s(edit:happy now!)

Well, after much thought i decided to get 4.10s (Ford Racing). Install went fine and it drove fine. The shop told me that they were confident i did not need a break in and the mechanic took it for a drive and got on it decently hard. I decided to take it somewhat easy on the way home and then let it cool down. Go back out and i must say i felt quite disappointed with how much hype some people make about these. I had 3.55 before, but the only time i feel it may be worth it is in 5th.

Well, im thinking whatever its a little better and decided to get on it a little. First time everything goes fine. Then i get on it a little again. Start hearing a little whine so im thinking "oh no, not the dreaded gear whine". i decide to run it through the gears on more time and since i have an absolutely terrible whine. Im giving the shop a call tomorrow and hopefully they stand behind their word and fix it. Can a whine just be fixed or are the gears messed up?

Also, i feel i may have come to the conclusion of selling the car. Cosmetically i love it, but i want something faster without dealing with all of the additional costs of supercharging this one. I keep modding to keep me happy, but i think i need to give up and just hop in a 03/04 cobra vert like i have wanted for a while.

Last edited by JMoraru; 05-02-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

If you don't want to deal with installing the blower on this car then yeah you might as well get one that already has it installed. Are you going to be happy with the stock blower on a terminator though? Lotsa people end up upgrading it. So you might end up buying one anyway.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the gears. I have a set and won't be installing them until next summer. 4.10 FRPP. I'm not letting my hopes get up real high. I honestly don't think any mods on these cars will really blow my hair back except for the supercharger.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:31 AM
JMoraru
2nd Gear Member

im sure i would do a pulley swap at the least, but the cars are built for it. I have driven/worked on several cobras and must say they are quite stout with minimal mods. i love the sound of the blower whine and i am DYING to get the sound of the bassani X and borla stingers back...i had it on my 01 cobra and it was the best set up i have heard on a mustang.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Sounds to me like you need to sell your car then. Get what you want. Life is to short to spend tons of money on a car and not be satisfied.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:45 AM
JMoraru
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Sounds to me like you need to sell your car then. Get what you want. Life is to short to spend tons of money on a car and not be satisfied.
Hate to say it, but i think that is what i need to do. I got an offer for $20k for this weekend...so ill see how it goes.

I feel ungrateful sometimes..ive had people come up to me and say how much they love mine when i parked next to the cobras, but something about them i just cant get over.

Anyways, maybe it will sell this weekend and i can get into a 03/04 oxford white or sonic blue drop top.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:47 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

If I were to get a terminator those would be the two colors I'd like the best. The orange doesn't look real bad either. Depending on the wheels.

Good luck on finding one that hasn't been abused and has fairly low mileage for a good price. That's the challenge with those cars IMO. And it'll only get harder as they keep getting older.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:50 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

lol I felt the same way after my gear install as well.. then I realized I have the same amount of whp so it's not really fair to judge too negatively nor expect so much from the gears.

If I am not happy with either the whipple H.O. kit or the Paxton 2200.. then phooey!
just phooey! lol...
Old 04-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

A lot of people seem to be pretty easily impressed. A 10whp gain and they are talking about how "It's like a totally different car now!".

I'm not easily impressed.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:53 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

lol those Challenger SRT-8s look real tempting.. especially in Black.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 AM
JMoraru
2nd Gear Member

A lot of people seem to be pretty easily impressed. A 10whp gain and they are talking about how "It's like a totally different car now!".

I'm not easily impressed.
i was happy with the intake/tune, but people really made 4.10s sound like a big difference and i don't. i wonder if those people who are amazed by 4.10s or other little mods have been in a car making over 400whp. its hard to compete. if i could do it again i would skip the small mods and save for FI.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with 4.10s