Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How loud is the drone w/ MAC's really???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:00 PM
GTItoGT
2nd Gear Member

Default How loud is the drone w/ MAC's really???

Hey, so I've been searching for the right sound for my GT since october. I've tried all different mufflers. The closest thing so far were actually my first set mufflers. (FRPP stingers) I threw in the towl on those due to the 60mph drone around 2k rpms. I drive right in that area all the way to work and back. Anway, so I heard the MAC mufflers and they sound absolutely perfect. However, I hear alot of people get rid of them due to the drone. I'm switching my 3.55 gears out for 4.10s as soon as my buddy can free up some time at the dealership to install them for me. That will more or less get me away from that same issue I had with the stingers. Anybody have any input on the MACs in general? I searched but I'm just finding random (had em, hated em, sold em) posts. Anybody have em and love em? Also more importantly Anybody go from stingers to macs or vice versa? I realize we're all typing so its hard to describe something as subjective as annoying mufflers. I know what its like with stingers so I thought I could use that as a reference point if anybody else has had both. I'm running SSS right now, Its close but not quite there. they do drone but its not annoying. Had flows, no real drone, too quiet. Had GTA's WAY too quiet for me. Singers....great tone, deep drone.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:26 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

The Macs sound awesome. I have had them for 2 years now. Yes they do drone, especially on the highway ~60 like the stingers (3.55's) IMO it is soooo easy to stay out of the "drone zones", so why fret? I had the stingers for all of 20 minutes. I actually had the macs, bought a used set of stinger with the intention of adding an o/r H. I put the stingers on (after being used to the macs) and hated them. They didnt have much sound imo. They were too "muffled" if that makes sense. I never went on the highway with them because they were on too short. Get the macs. Best sounding muffler for the s197 IMO. Im actually adding an o/r prochamber to them next weekend. Dont fear the drone, either you live with it or you need to settle for quite mufflers like GTAs or something (or get corsas for all that $$$). Sound or no drone.....you cant have your cake and eat it too Also I am VERY picky in terms of sound. I have spent hours upon hours listening to setups and researching.....best setup I have heard is the Mac ab/prochamber.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Lakers1
2nd Gear Member

I have the MAC A/B's and love the sound. I drive with the windows down everyday because of my 5% and the drone doesnt bother me one bit.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:07 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Well... Ive run both the stingers and macs and love them both! both drone at highway speeds...but the macs are the worse of the two. if you didnt like the drone with the stingers your probably not going to be happy with macs! however ...as stated above,you can stay out of the drone-zone pretty easy by staying out of the dreaded 1800-2000 rpm range. I think macs have the best sound ever for the S197..but the drone is seriously higher than the borlas(which is why im not running macs with my current setup) but ill never sell em...ever! LOL
Old 05-01-2009, 05:59 AM
mds08
1st Gear Member

I have the Macs and had some drone. I'm running short tube BBK headers,FRPP X pipe and its sounds sweet. I then installed FRPP Hot Rod cams, Drive shaft from Dynotech and FRPP 410 gears. Guess what no more drone. With the 410's you run @ 400 rpm higher and you will never see the drone zone again. Get the Macs and when you get the 410's you will love the way it sounds,changes the car altogether. People comment on the way my car sounds. Some say its the best sounding one they have heard.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:41 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Another happy MAC AB owner here. Some drone between 1800-2000 rpm but easy to stay out of the drone zone with proper shifting, especially if you're going with 4:10's.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Default Tried a few systems...

I've had (in order) on my car:

1) Stock
2) MAC's
3) GTA's
4) Cherry Bomb Pros
5) Boom Tubes

The MAC's were the absolute worst for drone. It felt like my head was going to explode after driving for 30 minutes with them. The Boom Tubes were hands down the best mufflers I have run and are still on my car.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 AM
cobrakiller347
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hicompression
I've had (in order) on my car:

1) Stock
2) MAC's
3) GTA's
4) Cherry Bomb Pros
5) Boom Tubes

The MAC's were the absolute worst for drone. It felt like my head was going to explode after driving for 30 minutes with them. The Boom Tubes were hands down the best mufflers I have run and are still on my car.
you have no idea how reassuring that is lol i just got my boomtubes in yesterday and am installing them today lol im curious how it will sound compared to stock
Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 AM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

the mac's sound awesome.. if you put gears in your rpm's wont be the same at around 60. The drone isnt really that bad with the mac's imo
Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

mac are the best if you want good sound get macs, and i dont think the drone is that bad really

Quick Reply: How loud is the drone w/ MAC's really???