Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked!!! Advice on repairs / possible GT500 front end conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:22 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

So for those of y'all who have done the clear turn signal conversion, how did you choose which bulbs to get? I keep reading about "stealth bulbs" and "chrome/amber bulbs" and what not and can't tell if they're the same or not.

Was thinking about getting the following from stangmods:

http://www.stangmods.com/Clear-Turn-...ng-p/00622.htm

along with the two bulbs that they had there: http://www.stangmods.com/Chrome-Ambe...bs-p/00729.htm and http://www.stangmods.com/Chrome-Ambe...bs-p/00730.htm

But even there, in one of their reviews, it says to get bulbs from a different source because they're "better". So I'm confused as to which bulbs to get. Guidance please, y'all?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:40 AM
ICIBUY
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
could be wrong, but since it was your fault, I highly doubt it...sorry.
I had an accident with my Stang a while back... slid into a pole with the drivers rear quarter, my insurance company is State Farm and they were great... they told me first off to make a list with prices of everything I have put on the car (aftermarket or oem styling) so that they could take that into consideration if the car was close to being totaled... however it was not close to being totaled and the body shop and State Farm worked together for me.... they ordered a aftermarket Xenon rear bumper and let me pay the difference in the price, they charged State Farm for the decal Stipe kit and let me pay the difference in the painted stripe, same thing with the aftermarket spoiler... so I think it probably depends on your insurance company andk the body shop doing the repairs. Good Luck and glad you didnt get hurt.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ICIBUY
I had an accident with my Stang a while back... slid into a pole with the drivers rear quarter, my insurance company is State Farm and they were great... they told me first off to make a list with prices of everything I have put on the car (aftermarket or oem styling) so that they could take that into consideration if the car was close to being totaled... however it was not close to being totaled and the body shop and State Farm worked together for me.... they ordered a aftermarket Xenon rear bumper and let me pay the difference in the price, they charged State Farm for the decal Stipe kit and let me pay the difference in the painted stripe, same thing with the aftermarket spoiler... so I think it probably depends on your insurance company andk the body shop doing the repairs. Good Luck and glad you didnt get hurt.
I have State Farm as well - how much did your insurance change after your accident? I'm kind of fearing that moment. Up until now, I was paying like $112 a month ($1000 deductibles everywhere) being under 25, male, single, driving a V8 convertible. I'm kind of scared it's going to go to like $350 a month or something.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:02 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ensign_lee
So for those of y'all who have done the clear turn signal conversion, how did you choose which bulbs to get? I keep reading about "stealth bulbs" and "chrome/amber bulbs" and what not and can't tell if they're the same or not.

Was thinking about getting the following from stangmods:

http://www.stangmods.com/Clear-Turn-...ng-p/00622.htm

along with the two bulbs that they had there: http://www.stangmods.com/Chrome-Ambe...bs-p/00729.htm and http://www.stangmods.com/Chrome-Ambe...bs-p/00730.htm

But even there, in one of their reviews, it says to get bulbs from a different source because they're "better". So I'm confused as to which bulbs to get. Guidance please, y'all?
Those will work just fine, I beleave those bulbs are the very same ones I have
Old 05-05-2009, 10:11 AM
ICIBUY
2nd Gear Member

I have State Farm as well - how much did your insurance change after your accident? I'm kind of fearing that moment. Up until now, I was paying like $112 a month ($1000 deductibles everywhere) being under 25, male, single, driving a V8 convertible. I'm kind of scared it's going to go to like $350 a month or something.
Well this is my 4th Stang... all being GT's and this was the first accident I have ever been in and I have been with State Farm for 12 years so basicly I lost my good driver discount and my insurance went up $24 a month... it is suppose to come back down after about 12 months of good driving... we will see I guess.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
see attached link if you are looking for a stock GT500 hood..$699.95 + free ground shipping

http://www.lightningforceperformance...roducts_id=946
Has anybody used these guys before? Are they pretty reliable? Timely shipping and what not too?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:10 AM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

ive ordered several products from lightningforceperformace.com
had no problems, timely shipping, great price, exactly as described.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:08 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Well allrighty. The GT500 front end conversion will cost me like $2.1k out of pocket (including my $1k deductible) including parts and labor.

Pulled the trigger on it today and hopefully everything'll be ready two weeks from now.

Now, I have to decide whether to change my rims or not. I'd always been happy with them before, but with the GT500 look, I'm thinking they may not fit the look of the car anymore? I was always a big fan of the 18" polished aluminum stock rims that came standard on GT/CS's and the chrome ones that were the highest priced versions that you could buy. But would they look out of place with a GT500 front end? To my memory, I haven't ever seen anyone with that combo?

Or should I bite the bullet and get GT500 rims while I'm at it? Looks like it'll cost me around $1300 if I decide to that route, with rims and tires.

Part of the reason I wrecked in the first place was that my tires are getting a little old at 33,000 miles or so. I'm thinking that it might be hue of me to replace them and while I'm at it, the incremental cost of rims would be like $600 or so?

What do you guys think? GT500 rims? GT/CS rims? Leave my normal 17" polished aluminum ones on?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Edit: im slow, didnt read pages 2-3
Old 05-07-2009, 05:04 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

What do you guys think? GT500 rims? GT/CS rims? Leave my normal 17" polished aluminum ones on?
I'd go with these in 18, 10 wide at the back

PS: I didn't realise you had a $1000 deductible...
That hurt bad.

Last edited by pascal; 10-04-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Wrecked!!! Advice on repairs / possible GT500 front end conversion?