Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy with some questions,

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

Default new guy with some questions,

I don't own a mustang yet however I have wanted one since my high school days in the early 90's with the new body style its accelerated my interest. after reading these forums for a few days I have a few questions

1) what are delete plates and what do they do

2)how do these cars handle at really high speed say around 140+ I test drove an 09 gt and had it up to about 115 and it felt great, my first car was a '74 corvette and my dad also had a 74 vette both cars felt like they were coming off the ground at much over 100, the new body style is a throw back, I just don't want something that feels like its gonna take off.

4) which exhaust system will be a little louder however will not be obnoxious, flowmaster had a great sounding setup back in the day, is this still true.

5) explain how the intercooler cools the air on a super charger system like the saleen or KB setup, the air looks like it goes right into the blower unlike on my diesel truck where the air goes through the IC first.

6) any tricks to finding shops that do performance work, I live in salt lake city and can't find anyone in the area that does that sort of thing.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:45 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
I don't own a mustang yet however I have wanted one since my high school days in the early 90's with the new body style its accelerated my interest. after reading these forums for a few days I have a few questions

1) what are delete plates and what do they do

2)how do these cars handle at really high speed say around 140+ I test drove an 09 gt and had it up to about 115 and it felt great, my first car was a '74 corvette and my dad also had a 74 vette both cars felt like they were coming off the ground at much over 100, the new body style is a throw back, I just don't want something that feels like its gonna take off.

4) which exhaust system will be a little louder however will not be obnoxious, flowmaster had a great sounding setup back in the day, is this still true.

5) explain how the intercooler cools the air on a super charger system like the saleen or KB setup, the air looks like it goes right into the blower unlike on my diesel truck where the air goes through the IC first.

6) any tricks to finding shops that do performance work, I live in salt lake city and can't find anyone in the area that does that sort of thing.
1. they are used to free up some HP (remove some restriction) ....IMO they are not worth the money but some still feel they are...so to each his own!
2. They are like a smooth Cadillac!!! had mine to 130+ and no problems...felt like I was going 80 MPH
3. Flowmaster sounds great on the push rod motors and I am not sure about the 3V modular motors
4.http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/....asp?PageID=77
this should help
5.Post a thread in the regional section and hopefully someone here or in that section can recommend a shop to you......if your up for a drive there are so many shops in AZ and CA that you can get for your performance tuning and installation needs (sounds a little like a commercial)

Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-07-2009, 03:39 AM
SteveB_RET
1st Gear Member

If you are looking for just a little deeper sound that will not rattle your neighbor's out of bed in the morning, the FRPP GTA axlebacks will do the tirck.

The delete plates help out with SC and Turbo systems, but other then that it is a mod to do cuz it is there to do...

These cars handle great out of the box and even better with some simple suspension upgrades.

Get one and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 AM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

1. The delete plates and tune are my only power mods and I got about 20+rwhp and 20+rwtq increase. I think it was a good mod, but like mygt500 said "to each his own".
2. Had mine to 140+ and it felt smooth, still had good traction.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

wind resistence starts getting to be an issue at higher speeds(brick design).. but getting up to 130-140 is fine and handles fine.

I didn't notice much difference with my delete plates but apparently they can give 5-10rwhp.. the only supercharger I know they work with are the vortech, otherwise you wont want them if you plan on going f/i, they might work if you go turbo.

for exhaust I love boomtubes I get tons of compliments... some people don't like the cabin noise though.

Salt lake city is a big place.. try to meet other mustang owners there that are modified and see what they say. Luckily in this small town I found a guy with a heavily modded 07(now he has an 08) that did all of his own work so I get him to help me
Old 05-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

(1) don't bother

(2) Modern cars are designed with zero lift more or less, that's an old school issue. Anyway if you want a little education on high speed mustangs, I've had 3 seperate mustangs up over 160 mph. I may or may not have had one on a public road to 170 mph, and I've had one on a track up to 190 mph and another up to 180. They eat up high speeds.

(4) Flowmaster super 40s are nice go for those definitely!

(5) you'll figure it out eventually ha ha

(6) you either know or you don't.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Chromestang67
1st Gear Member

Default Get a tune best performance upgrade $$

With any new car to get any performance difference you have to get a computer tune.
Delete plates are best for a forced induction stangs. On stock cars they help in low to mid range torque. If you remove them air flow increases but only help in upper midrange to redline.
Flowmasters are good, almost an exhaust standard for any bolt on performance.

Front end Floating is something I've never like in GM cars. On corvettes/camaros/firebirds after 50mph the front end feels light and the driver losses road feedback. Although they are faster than the stangs they look and sound horrible like a farting catfish IMO. Ford needs to give the people more cubic inches bring back the old 5.8L (351W).
Old 05-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Chromestang67
1st Gear Member

Any engine will benefit from colder fuel, air intake temperature, and a lower thermostat. That is what the aftercooler purpose is to cool the air to make it more dense to yield more horsepower and stability. Newer vehicles run hot from the factory to reduce emissions but on the other hand causes heat soak and power variability.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:38 AM
ICIBUY
2nd Gear Member

I have had 4 Mustangs, all GT's.... all with Flowmasters.. the axel backs that Flowmaster has came out for these cars are not near as loud as say the 40 series I had on my 93, and 97 GT's however... they have no drone inside the car either... if you want more sound and can handle a little drone... I have heard great things about the SLP Loudmouth mufflers. Good luck and Welcome to the Forums!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I wouldn't say dont bother with delete plates simply because they are so cheap and easy to install and you might see close to .1 off your 1/4 mile.. probably more like .05 pick one up for cheap $100-150.. they require a new tune though so you might want to do it with some other mods so you dont have to pay for a new tune just for those.

Quick Reply: new guy with some questions,