Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-04-2015, 11:37 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

How can I change the e-brake cable.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
BTW - how HARD are you guys pulling on these cables to snap them? Seriously I've seen a lot of guys yankin on their parking brake like their trying to rein in a 300 lbs rottweiler. You don't have to pull them that hard.
Don't have to, that section seems quite prone to rust. Pull up slightly one day, bam, bu-bye $130. I've never had this issue, but I only had my 06 for about a year, now this one for 3+. I don't use mine unless I'm idling somewhere in a parking lot, or I think it's necessary as a backup on a hill, which is quite infrequent in Delaware.

It's like Kansas, with trees, marsh and not nearly as many hot farmer's daughters.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:21 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Don't have to, that section seems quite prone to rust. Pull up slightly one day, bam, bu-bye $130. I've never had this issue, but I only had my 06 for about a year, now this one for 3+. I don't use mine unless I'm idling somewhere in a parking lot, or I think it's necessary as a backup on a hill, which is quite infrequent in Delaware.

It's like Kansas, with trees, marsh and not nearly as many hot farmer's daughters.
Some of those corn fed Kansas chicks aint so hot. But the ratio of hot to not-so is quite high from what I've seen....
Old 08-27-2012, 07:06 AM
georgevargas

Default Tousley sent me a different parking brake control

My cable snapped as well, read these posts, ordered the part from Tousley, it arrived about 2 weeks ago, finally got around to replacing it yesterday, and once I got through the hassle of removing the consoles and everything and removing the nut next to the driver's seat (that was the real pain) and pulled out the parking brake, I noticed it is completely different from the one in my 2007 GT. Using the part numbers from the http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=108 manual, the parking brake control (part number 2780) arm is shorter, instead of being bolted down with two parking brake control nuts (part number N804796) and two parking brake control bolts (Part number W704911) the replacement requires the two parking brake control nuts and only one parking brake control bolt. The button on the parking brake control arm above the grip is chrome as opposed to black, and the plastic modlings from the original that fit on the neck of the arm just below the grip do not fit because as mentioned the arm is shorter. The exposed metal of the control arm is what you see, and the edges are sharp so I guess the pastic modings are functional as opposed to just for estetics.

Tousley Ford has the part number on the invoice listed as AR3Z2780B. This part number does not appear online when you order but a seach on Tousley's website takes you to "PARKING BRAKE CONTROL Mustang; Base, GT". This appears to be a generic part. Ford Racing does not list it at all and except for ebay, I can't find anywhere elese that identifes this with a 2007 Mustang GT. I realized today that unless you already know the part number and specifically enter part numbers 6R3Z2780C or 9R3Z2780B in their search field Tousley defaults to AR3Z2780B. The price difference between the 9R3Z2780B OEM part and Tousely 9R3Z2780B part is about $4.

So thank you wayne613 for the part numbers and anyone else reading this do not make the same mistake I did and just go to the websight and trust they will sell you what you actually need. Type in the the 9R3Z2780B part number.

I'm very disapointed and it was such a hassle to pull and replace that I'm just going to leave it, eat this, and never buy from these guys again. Can anyone give me a lead on where I can get the pastic moldings for this parking brake control arm because Tousley does not have it and a search under AR3Z2780B has taken me NOWHERE!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by georgevargas
unless you already know the part number and specifically enter part numbers 6R3Z2780C or 9R3Z2780B in their search field Tousley defaults to AR3Z2780B.
Type in the the 9R3Z2780B part number.

I'm very disapointed and it was such a hassle to pull and replace that I'm just going to leave it, eat this, and never buy from these guys again.
Did you actually try to contact them, and try to get it exchanged? I only throw them out there as no one I know has had a complaint from them until now.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 AM
georgevargas

Please note that I spoke with Tousley Ford Inc., a few minutes ago, they explained to me that they dropped the ball, should have phoned to let me know they had a problem with my VIN but did not, are sending me the actual part, will take this one back even though I have to bend up the retaining clip to remove it, and were really nice about it. That phone call they didn't make would have saved me hours, sweat, and broken knuckles seeing as I have to do the replacement twice, but they were very nice about sending the replacement part out. And I just got use to the chrome button on the control arm!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 AM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

My 2nd parking brake broke a few months ago, and trust me, i was gentle the 2nd time around and it still popped. Gotta love Fords...
Old 09-03-2012, 06:31 PM
georgevargas

I received the correct parking control brake lever this time from Tousely, they sent UPS to my house with a call tag to pick up the other one. I installed the correct one on Saturday and feel like a pro. I did it in under an hour so the expirence was well worth the hassel. I'm just waiting for Tousely to get the part back so that they will credit me for the wrong part. The other brake lever was shorter and had a chrome button and I have to tell you, it looked great and I really wished they made one for my car. I also learned that the brake cable is fastened to the lever and as such you can't really replace it. It looks like some machining would be needed to do so.