Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boomtubes and Johnny Law

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

LM for the win. I get all kinds of people asking me questions when get out of my car at gas stations and parking lots. Most ask what mods what exhaust is it, one older lady asked if it was a "turbo", lol.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:10 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

MAN! i ant decide on what to buy now. Everyone either loves boomtubes of loves LMs. I think ill get boom tubes, but i wish i could hear them both in person first...
Old 05-13-2009, 11:11 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Sorry to those who have LM, but to me the LM sounds like a garbage truck. Very nasty, in a bad way.
Weird, I've never heard the sound of a turbo diesel come from the tailpipes of my car... :P

I'll make a concession, on startup and idle when the engine is cold (which adversely affects most exhaust setups anyway), the LM's sound a bit like the exhaust on a one-ton riding lawnmower...on crack.

HOWEVER, once the engine warms up, the sound is rich, deep, and gurgly... Reminds me of warm caramel for some reason.

It's after this point where the LM's become perfect. Subdued under 2000 RPM, mean and muscly above 2000 RPM. WOT is heaven.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Sorry to those who have LM, but to me the LM sounds like a garbage truck.
Hey, no offense taken because I love 'em!

Technically though, LM's are just straight through pipes, so you're saying that the Mustang sounds like a garbage truck, lol.

I like the LM's because they pretty much allow me to hear the raw sound of the Mustang. The sound is deep, gurgly, and rumbly. Plus they look extremely good.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Johnny Law ain't got nuthin' on me. Go with the Boomtubes.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by robs
Done my homework... Watched Youtubes... Boils down to Loudmouths or Boomtubes... Most Boomtube owners seam pretty happy... and they're a little cheaper... so... Sounds like where I'm headed...

Any Police issues? Is this putting a bullseye on your back for tickets? I don't really speed, but I sure like getting to the speed limit quickly!!!

It would probably vary from town to town. You may get a thumbs up in one town and then the police in the next town may pull you over. I like the sound of Boomtubes and LMs. I sampled them all on Youtube. But the final decision came down to living with them every day and having to be pulled over for noise late at night. In the town I live in, it's not a problem. But if I go one city over, the police tend to scrutinize more and it doesn't matter if it's a domestic or an import. This is California. Technically, BT's would probably fail the decible test. Would the police pull you over? It's probably unlikely. But can they? Sure.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:57 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Got the BoomTubes installed... driver side cakewalk... like 15 minutes.. Completely aligned...

Passgner side different story.. My GT has a 2k trailer hitch (for bike rack)... Had to cut off the factory muffler... Spent about 2 hours trying to line up the BT... Not there yet, but I ran out of time.. Will fix tomorrow..

Sound?

OH YEAH!!! Sounds like a bad a$$ boat at idle.... I can't sneak out of the neighborhood anymore! Full throttle is sweet, sweet music...!

BoomTubes = Teh Win!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
Why all the hate for LoudMouths? I get compliments all the time about my exhaust. I could have had a shop weld in some muffler deletes made out of crappy old tin or something and achieved the same result, but I love my LoudMouths because

1. No fitment or alignment issues whatsoever
2. They look spectacular, especially when I give them a nice wash and polish
3. My car sounds like a Mustang, not a BMW...
People hate things that are very overpriced. If you weld in tips there would be no problems with alignment.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:58 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

you will never have a problem legally with just the boomtube axlebacks. they're not that loud at all. but when you open them up or give it some juice, they really tend to make people turn their heads and be like "wow, i bet that car's fast." its just got that full, warbly sound thats really intimidating. you have to hear it in person.

i have to remind you that boomtubes ARE legal (to the best of my knowledge) in at least 49 states.