Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint or vinyl stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:34 AM
foo91

Default paint or vinyl stripes?

Im thinking about putting the racing stripes on my 07 mustang, what would you guys recommend, having it painted on using vinyl.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 AM
ICIBUY
2nd Gear Member

If you can afford to have them painted... paint them! You will have so many more options with paint... color, style, size, ETC! Had my SS stripe painted and I love it! Good luck and show some pics when your done!
Old 05-14-2009, 08:47 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by foo91
Im thinking about putting the racing stripes on my 07 mustang, what would you guys recommend, having it painted on using vinyl.
Painted stripes look the best of course but if you are unsure about whether you will be happy with stripes, vinyl will be much cheaper and can be removed. Then if you are happy with the way they look you can get them painted or just keep the vinyl ones.

Mine are vinyl and I am happy with them for now but I could just remove them and get them painted if I want to.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 AM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

Try to plan your mods and if painting which is abetter long term Idea then get your stuff all together and painted at once. Use the various mustang sites to figure out the pattern. I would recemend painting but only if you know you are done with body mods. Let say you decide to change a spoiler, hood or chin. Its gonna cost a lot more to make and match paint and stripes the second or third time. If you go with paint get a 3m clear tape over your chin spoiler to keep the road rocks from messing it up so bad.
Vinal can be done and most last 5 or more years. I looked at a couple vehicles at the last car show that were wrapped (in vinal) they used a computer and different patterns anything you want and then put on your car and you couldnt see any of the lines.
good luck with what you do and your gonna enjoy it one way or the other.

My vote is Paint if you are gonna keep it for years,
Old 05-14-2009, 12:24 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

If you don't have $1300+ lying around (as I didn't), I bought vinyl and installed them myself. I saved $1100 over painting, $400 by installing them myself, and a ton of money on my car insurance by switching to vinyl...

Well not the last one...but you get the idea.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ICIBUY
If you can afford to have them painted... paint them! You will have so many more options with paint... color, style, size, ETC! Had my SS stripe painted and I love it! Good luck and show some pics when your done!
I dont want to hijack the thread, but how much did you spend on this.. I was thinking of painting aswell. Thanks
Old 05-14-2009, 02:10 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

1300 to paint would be a steal. There is a lot of labor involved in painting stripes on correctly. Some painter can just lay on a couple of stripes but that is really not the way to do it. You have to wetsand the clear coat down, paint the stripes, add new clearcoat, wetsand and buff them. My stripes took 40 hours of labor to do.( x hourly rate)
The paint materials alone for my stripes were almost 700 dollars for PPG paints, additives, pearls etc. The total with labor was 2400.

So if you can get stripes painted on correctly for 1300 go for it because that is cheap.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

the main questions u want to have are...

1. how much are you plannin on spending
2. are you gunna do any other mods to ur body
3. how long are you plannin on having ur mustang for

these three questions are what you need to look at...
Old 05-14-2009, 05:33 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
If you don't have $1300+ lying around (as I didn't), I bought vinyl and installed them myself. I saved $1100 over painting, $400 by installing them myself, and a ton of money on my car insurance by switching to vinyl...

Well not the last one...but you get the idea.

Wow 400 was still expensive for vinyl lol. did you get 3m or something? I got 10 year oracal for my dual 10" for 40 bucks and installed it myself haha.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:56 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

I got vinyl for 115 bucks, message me if interested.

Quick Reply: paint or vinyl stripes?