Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood blanket purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:59 AM
Bird1606
1st Gear Member

Default Hood blanket purpose?

I recently got in a fender bender with my 07 GT/CS, and insurance bought me a new GT500 front end and TruFiber Venom hood. The hood doesn't have a hood blanket installed on it and I was wondering if that will even be a problem. I was just going to go ahead and run without one, but now I'm wondering if I'm going to mess up the hood if I don't have one. Any thoughts?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

well, these cars are known for running kind of hot under the hood, so there could be a possibility for the paint getting messed up from the heat; however i remember reading about some other people running theirs without the liner and hadn't really had any problems... i suppose it mainly depends on the quality of paint job on the hood.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:40 AM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

I just took mine off yesterday!
It kept rubbing the filter on the CAI no matter how high I adjust the hood stops.

I don't think it should be a problem. At least I hope so.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:37 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

NVH..
Old 05-19-2009, 09:46 AM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rshamekh
It kept rubbing the filter on the CAI...
Same here. I took mine off a few weeks ago. There was a thread around here not too long ago where someone posted a link to a discussion about this in another forum and just about everyone was confident that there would be no problems.

If it makes any difference, after I drive the car and pull it into the garage, I just prop the hood up and let it sit like that until I drive it again. That way I'm not paranoid about the engine heat damaging my paint.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:46 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

imo, i would put a balnket on....1) theses motors produce heat 2) the blanket is also a fire retardant....fire melts the plastic pins and the blanket falls down.....3) it helps seal your cai
Old 05-19-2009, 09:50 AM
cobrakiller347
2nd Gear Member

im not sure if im the only one that noticed this but i have the bullit cai and my hood blanket actually is indented all the way around the seal for my cai. its really cool
Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 AM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

After doing a quick search and reading through the threads, here's some thoughts & opinions expressed in those:

• Stock Saleen's come without one
  • In the case of a fire: if your engine is on fire, the blanket is not going to do THAT much
  • It is strictly for NVH purposes (as acascianelli mentioned above)
  • A person said that a Ford FSE (Field Service Engineer) said the same thing as above; strictly NVH purposes (post is here)
  • The paint can withstand the damaging heat and UV rays of the sun
  • Our hoods are aluminum and aluminum dissipates heat well
  • If you were to install a supercharger, a Whipple, for example, the instructions call for the removal of the blanket

Again, these are all things I've pulled from the various threads discussing this topic.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

I took my hood blanket off about a month ago after I noticed my C&L intake being rubbed. No problems since then.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:55 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

I have that hood and I run it with out and so should you if your planing on taking your car to car shows to show it. I know a ton of people who don't have them and even have very nice airbrushing done to the underside of the hood and have no problems what so ever with the heat messing up the paint. Here is the underside of my hood, you can see how nice and glossy my paint is and my horse and Mustang text is:

Quick Reply: Hood blanket purpose?