Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have an insurance claim experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Do you have an insurance claim experience?

Well, the purpose of this post is to get some information.

1st to my car was at work, someone hit my door with something and took it a small area down to the metal.

2nd was a series of 5 eggs, vandalized by some punk kids who mistook my car for a friends; who they egged weeks prior.

3rd A more recent incident where someone let the air out of my passenger side tires and put another 1 inch gouge to the paint in my passenger door, and also has a small dent in the rear fender.

Basically over the course of 3+ years I've lived with these, but the more I look at it the more it bothers me. Is it too late to try and get an insurance claim? I've never in my life done one of these so I need someone experienced.

How does it work?

Does the insurance company send it to get repainted, or do they cut me a check to have the work done, obviously the deductible will be less than getting it painted myself. The damages are on all sides of the car, so I imagine the assessment will be the whole car needs to be repainted.

Is it too late for me to try getting a claim because there are no police reports, minus the recent one, and it's been so long?

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:10 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

It will be treated as a vandalised issue.
They'll prolly cut you a check (minus deductible) and you can then, go to a shop of your chosing.

Good luck man.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

technically since everything was a separate incident being honest about it would mean you would pay separate deductibles for each deal.

did you report these deals to the police, the insurance will want to see that the police were called.

yes you can just pocket the money if you want to. I would get a couple estimates, the adjuster will make his, I would then tell them you want the check yourself, they will try and suggest having it fixed and paying the shop directly however you can just tell them you want the check
Old 05-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

So you're saying that they'll want to see a police report? What if I say I didn't file a report, which one two of the major incidents I didn't, the one being too small to report and the other I just didn't feel like going through the hassle.

If this is going to turn into something that they'll want to backfire in my face, I'll just live with it and get it painted on my own years down the road..
Old 05-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

I think you should still be able to file a claim regardless of how it happened. But as said before, the problem might be that they were all separate instances and you'll probably have to file a claim and pay a separate deductible for each spot. I could be wrong though.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

do you have uninsured motorist coverage? it would be highly in your favor if so.

you COULD just tell your insurance provider that all the incidents happened as one incident making it a single deductible claim. also, take your shop to a preferred shop that's under your insurance company for collision coverage and get a preliminary estimate to see what kind of cost you're looking at. this way, they have more incentive to get the ball moving

the sooner you call, the better. keep us posted!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

you can always wait to do all the repairs at once and you should pay just one deductible. But you have to file a claim when each happens and get estimates before they'll give you the money (minus your deductible).
May I suggest taking the money and buying a good, locking car cover??? Or a locked garage?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:06 AM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
you can always wait to do all the repairs at once and you should pay just one deductible. But you have to file a claim when each happens and get estimates before they'll give you the money (minus your deductible).
May I suggest taking the money and buying a good, locking car cover??? Or a locked garage?
i apologize in advance to go offtopic, but how's the shelby gt breaking in?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Menace
So you're saying that they'll want to see a police report? What if I say I didn't file a report, which one two of the major incidents I didn't, the one being too small to report and the other I just didn't feel like going through the hassle.

If this is going to turn into something that they'll want to backfire in my face, I'll just live with it and get it painted on my own years down the road..
Your deductible applies when you make a claim and it's not your fault...
So 2 different claims, 2 deductibles if it's your screw ups.

As far as Police reports... In FL, they are not issued for small collision anymore or when damages occur on private property (driveways, mall parking lots etc...).
Cops don't show up in those cases, unless of course, there are serious injuries or death.

Call your Insurance and ask them how to deal with this and how are the laws in GA. Also, how are your premiums be affected, if at all.

Last edited by pascal; 05-20-2009 at 07:33 AM.