Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling at Full Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:14 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTItoGT
I get the same thing in the upper rpms, c&l intake, Brenspeed 93 octane, corsa exhaust, had a JLT intake w/ brenspeed tunes first, same deal. I dont know what it is, sounds like an exhaust rattle. I dont know but I doubt its valve ping.
....Valve ping ??? You mean Pistons don't you.!!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:50 AM
GTItoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT E UPP
....Valve ping ??? You mean Pistons don't you.!!
What I mean is that it's a new car with minimal mods and I doubt there's anything wrong
Old 05-21-2009, 07:53 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle4.6GT
how about revving getting pinging in like the 5000+ range? will this destroy my motor?

i'm on a brenspeed 93 tune and have 93 octane in the car...........should i just go down to the 91 octane tune (i have a non-adjustable xcal1) and still run 93 octane?............pinging, IIRC, is an indication of preignition.......would a lower octane tune (less aggressive timing) solve this? i think i'm just getting bad gas

don't our cars have FOUR knock sensors (on the 4.6)? my car runs strong as ****..........all RPM ranges, it pulls like a son of a bitch.
I couldn't get my brenspeed 93 tune to work without pinging. I ended up running the 91 tune, added 2 degrees of timing and ran 93 octane gas. Mine was fine in the winter, but pinged in the summer. Knock sensors may not pick up the pinging, depends how severe. If you get the sound when revving, then it might be something else. Mine never pinged when free revving the motor.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:58 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTItoGT
I get the same thing in the upper rpms, c&l intake, Brenspeed 93 octane, corsa exhaust, had a JLT intake w/ brenspeed tunes first, same deal. I dont know what it is, sounds like an exhaust rattle. I dont know but I doubt its valve ping.
It's pinging and you can choose to ignore it and hope it doesn't burn a hole in your piston or you can have brenspeed adjust your tune. I'd personally load a 91 tune if you have one and stick with 93 gas.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:46 AM
GTItoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
It's pinging and you can choose to ignore it and hope it doesn't burn a hole in your piston or you can have brenspeed adjust your tune. I'd personally load a 91 tune if you have one and stick with 93 gas.
I don't have a 91 octane tune but I have 87 and 89. I'll switch and see if that fixes it.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:55 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

Could be an exhaust rattle? or is that out of the question. I know on my 05 i get exhaust rattle sometimes. Does it ever happen at lower RPM? You should be able to tell if its pinging.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle4.6GT
i think its the exhaust pipes hitting against my driveshaft loop bolts. they're a bout a millimeter off when i go look under the car..
Could be. Mine def. does hit at times . I have a off road X pipe. But with the stock pipe no problem. I also had/have a rattle /buzzz noise coming from the front trans. area. Got it after I had my ATI torque convertor installed. Sounds like a that could be the trans. shield plate.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:37 PM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

ok this is a problem that has been around since the 05 came out, here is a pic of a repair order that fixes the problem its the spacer plate between the engine and the trans hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Rattling at Full Throttle-06mustanggtrattle.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 PM
GTItoGT
2nd Gear Member

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. My rattle was a slight ping under load in the lower gears. I thought it sounded like an exhaust rattle right at the h pipe. I wanted to test it out so I loaded my 89 octane tune and filled with 93. From what brenspeed told me that would rule out a rattle. Ping is gone. I'll get the 91 tune as soon as I can. I can't help but be a little aggrivated that I've been pounding on the car since got it with the tune not quite right. No check engine light, no codes; nothing. O, well 8000 miles under my belt, now I know the engine is much more sensative than I thought.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

It is amazing how things can be different with "alike cars"
I run Brenspeeds 93 oct. tune on 92 oct gas...never a sound. I am VERY care what brand of gas I use.

Quick Reply: Rattling at Full Throttle