Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning, cars fail inspection with tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 05:28 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Default Warning, cars fail inspection with tune

I purchased a Race tune from BamaChips and when I took the car for inspection it failed with an error that the sensors were not ready. The station told me to drive the car for 50-100 miles and to bring it back. During that time I got $200 worth of tickets for failed inspections and spent over $100 on inspection.

I did a search on this forum and found out that Doug's tunes turn of the sensors. That thread mentioned that he had another tune available that turns the sensors back on allowing the car to pass inspection.

I wrote Doug and he responded right away. His answer was not good though. He told me the best way to pass inspection is to return the car to stock and load the stock tune. Man this seems like a really bad option. In my case it's not too bad since I don't have that many performance enhancements but for those of you with LTs, Charge motion delete plates or other mods it could be a very large undertaking.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:19 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Could a car with long tubes even pass an emissions test? I hope Florida doesn't go back to inspections. It's such a F'n scam to generate revenue for the states. It's about time for a revolution!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I'm about to jump through the hoops myself. It's time for an inspection and here in TX you cannot have 3 or more "not ready" conditions. I had 3 last time because the rear O2's were disabled. I need to get another tune with the rear O2's enabled and yes, then I will pass here in the state of TX. PITA.

I have longtubes and could pass. JBA LT's have the forward o2's plumbed into the collectors so you can pass with them.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 05-20-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:21 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I've failed state inspections the past 4 years, and had to be retested. They are a PITA, but they do serve a cause. In south carolina, they do not do inspections and this leads to people driving around all the time with total POS cars with parts falling off of them all the time. I hit a wheel and tire on I-85 about a month ago which ripped my rear bumper off and destroyed plastic underbody panels. Then sunday i was driving on 85 again and some jack@ss driving a jacked up caprice dropped a long bolt and ~17mm nut off of his car and the nut bounced up and hit my front bumper leaving a giant scratch all the way down to the plastic. I'm thinking about buying a beater to drive around because so many @ssholes dont take care of their cars and it ends up damaging mine!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:26 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

You can pass with almost any mod, other than an O/R mid pipe, as long as your tune is set up for emissions.

Of course, California people should ignore what I just said. LOL!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Agreed. But when you have a car that you've PERSONALLY torqued most every single engine and suspension bolt on then have some dilly-o inspection kid tell you that you've failed 1 of the three required inspection points just because your rear o2's aren't enabled... that really sucks.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

And you can fail even with a catted mid-pipe (what I have) if they disable the rear o2's in the tune. It's difficult to adjust the AF properly with things like cams when the rear o2's are enabled. doesn't matter whether you have cats, O/R pipe or not.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:39 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Wait a minute Octavio. Doug should have no problem sending you a tune that has the rear sensors on, and you will pass easily. Unless you have an OR midpipe you should have the sensors on anyway. There's no reason to turn them off with your setup. When I was N/A, and even now being blown, I've run tunes from Brenspeed, VMP, JDM, Evolution, Powersurge, and Realspeed and have never failed a NYS inspection.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:40 PM
gtguyonli
2nd Gear Member

My car fails all the time if I don't return the setting back to stock, once I put back the stock tune I pass with no problem, after the inspection just load your custom tune back in.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

I have a friend that works at Jiffy Lube. He passed me with LT's, o/r h, and expired insurance card (although I had a current one at home).

Quick Reply: Warning, cars fail inspection with tune