Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My wife thinks I am nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:20 PM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

I will let the fuel pump finish before I start up, but will pretty quickly be on my way.

II run full synthetic in all of my vehicles and have never suffered ill effects from not letting it sit. I think older vehicles and oils were more prone to needing this technique than today's oils and engines.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
I think older vehicles and oils were more prone to needing this technique than today's oils and engines.
Regardless of how new the engine is, the oil still needs to be up to operating temperature to be at the optimum viscosity. Until that point, your engine has to work harder than necessary, and it's only gets worse the colder the oil is.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I agree with what most have said here. It doesn't hurt to turn the key on for a few seconds to get fuel going. I believe the owner's manual tells us to cycle the key on and off several times if we run out of gas after we put some back in to get it flowing.

On the oil, all of this talk about cold oil not being up to optimum viscosity. Maybe so, this is why there is a 0W-20 available. The first number is cold weight so the lower it is the better it performs in winter.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
On the oil, all of this talk about cold oil not being up to optimum viscosity. Maybe so, this is why there is a 0W-20 available. The first number is cold weight so the lower it is the better it performs in winter.
Correct. The lower the first number, the easier it flows when cold. The thing to remember though, the thinnest oil you can buy is still too thick for cold starting. That's why it's still a good idea to let the car warm up a little and then drive easily, even if you are using 0W-XX.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:06 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i let it warm up to man def gotta let the oil flow and the idles go down to normal before i take it out
Old 05-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

It takes up to 20 minutes of actual driving for your oil to reach full operating temperature.

Pressure comes up rapidly once the car is started but it still takes at least a few seconds for it to get where it needs to go. I usually let it idle for 1 minute and then drive it. Little bit longer in the winter if it's cold.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:09 PM
302me
2nd Gear Member

Just out of habit I turn key to let the pump on before starting then let it warm up to operating temp before driving off. Regardless of the all "factual" information about warming or not warming up, I get more peace of mind out of waiting till it's warmed up.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:43 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

I turn the car on and go back inside the house for a min to let it warm up a bit!!
I guess it gives me piece of mind!! Even if i'm in a hurry i let the rpm's go down below 1k and then go but all the while taking it easy on the throttle till the temps go up THEN i can floor it!!
I also turn the key and wait until i cant hear the fuel pump buzzing then turn the car on!!
I dont care that people say newer cars dont need a warmup but i do it CUZ I WANT TO!!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:02 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

glad to read these posts!!!!!!!!!!!! i am not alone.lol
Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Riptide, I live in Virginia and had a pretty mild winter but, even on the coldest days my temperature gauge reached fully warm somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes. I look at it this way, starting the engine and getting it to warm up to anything over 50 degrees by idling is good enough to drive off.

Quick Reply: My wife thinks I am nuts!