Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:16 PM
NorCal Stang

Thanks everybody for your input. So say the cylinder walls are damaged. Wouldn't I be able to just bore them out and get bigger pistons? If I did so what else would I need to do?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:23 PM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCal Stang
They got real technical and honestly all I can recall was that my stock springs couldn't support the aggressiveness of the cam.
Hot Rod cams (which I have) have .47" of lift. Your cams have .45" of lift. Stock is .43" of lift.

These cams are NOT too aggresive for the stock valve springs. I agree with moosestang, Get a lawyer.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:33 PM
NorCal Stang

How would I prove be able to prove this?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:39 PM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Thanks everybody for your input. So say the cylinder walls are damaged. Wouldn't I be able to just bore them out and get bigger pistons? If I did so what else would I need to do?
Probably nothing, unless the head is damaged (which it probably is if the valve got squished by the piston).

Good luck.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:49 PM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

How would I prove be able to prove this?
Its hard to say. Go in there with the specs for stock, hot rod (which was designed by the same ford engineers that designed the stock cams), and your thumpr. Try to reason with them by letting them know that there are tons of people running cams with more lift than what your thumpr had, with no problems. Try to work out a deal with them (although they should be taking care of everything to get your car back to the way you left it to them).

This could be a freak accident, but more than likely a bad install job. What cylinder was it? Some cylinders are harder to work on b/c of the firewall and little room in the engine bay. They may have not gotten a cam follower back on correctly which resulted in a broken spring.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

They got real technical and honestly all I can recall was that my stock springs couldn't support the aggressiveness of the cam.
If the shop thinks that is the case, then they should not have done the job without replacing the springs. They are supposed to be the "experts." From what you have written, it seems to me that fixing the problem is the responsibility of the shop.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:25 PM
NorCal Stang

Yeah they double checked by calling Comp. They gave them the thumbs up to continue with the stock springs.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 PM
NorCal Stang

Im giving them the benefit of the doubt. They said they've done a few of these cams already in which they replaced the springs, rockers, and lifters. They even showed me a copy of their dyno sheets which were pretty impressive. I think I just had really bad luck. I guess thats what I get for trying to cut corners.