Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl Stripe Problem with Hood Scoop. PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:09 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Exclamation Vinyl Stripe Problem with Hood Scoop. PLEASE HELP!

Hey all,

I am going to put vinyl stripes on my car.
But I am also going to put a hood scoop on it.
I have decided to either put a Xenon scoop or a 3D carbon scoop.
Reason being is these two do NOT require any drilling and just use the 3M tape to attach.

Here is my problem.
I am ordering my stripes as a pre cut kit from baltimorestreetmods.
However... under their choices for hoods the only scoops they have listed are factory scoop or Roush scoop. None for either of the ones I was going to get.

What is odd though is under the pictures of all the cars that have the precut kits from baltimorestreetmods, there are mustangs with different scoops than factory or roush. In fact... the one here looks to be in fact either the 3D carbon or the Xenon (cant tell for certain):
http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/i.../image_105.jpg

Here are some more pics at the bottom of this page with scoops other than the factory GT scoops or Roush scoops
http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/i...&products_id=1

Are these people putting the scoops ON the stripes AFTER they install the stripes and just using a factory hood option with NO scoop cut out?
If so... for the people that are using the Xenon or 3d Carbon scoops...would'nt the scoops come off because the 3M tape would eventually loose its grip on the vinyl?

Or are these people in fact choosing one of the pre cut kits and either the factory or roush scoop choice actually fits these other scoops also for cut out?

Again.. I am getting a scoop that does not require drilling because I do NOT have the experience, nor do I want to drill myself, and I do not have the cash to pay for the installation along with the scoop and paint, then the stripes and install of them as well. A scoop that attaches via 3M saves me about 250 in installation.

I REALLY need help on this...
If anyone has these scoops and has done stripes or knows what I need to do or has any suggestions.. PLEASE help me.

Thanks

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 05-26-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

No one?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:40 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
Hey all,

I am going to put vinyl stripes on my car.
But I am also going to put a hood scoop on it.
I have decided to either put a Xenon scoop or a 3D carbon scoop.
Reason being is these two do NOT require any drilling and just use the 3M tape to attach.

Here is my problem.
I am ordering my stripes as a pre cut kit from baltimorestreetmods.
However... under their choices for hoods the only scoops they have listed are factory scoop or Roush scoop. None for either of the ones I was going to get.

What is odd though is under the pictures of all the cars that have the precut kits from baltimorestreetmods, there are mustangs with different scoops than factory or roush. In fact... the one here looks to be in fact either the 3D carbon or the Xenon (cant tell for certain):
http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/i.../image_105.jpg

Here are some more pics at the bottom of this page with scoops other than the factory GT scoops or Roush scoops
http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/i...&products_id=1

Are these people putting the scoops ON the stripes AFTER they install the stripes and just using a factory hood option with NO scoop cut out?
If so... for the people that are using the Xenon or 3d Carbon scoops...would'nt the scoops come off because the 3M tape would eventually loose its grip on the vinyl?

Or are these people in fact choosing one of the pre cut kits and either the factory or roush scoop choice actually fits these other scoops also for cut out?

Again.. I am getting a scoop that does not require drilling because I do NOT have the experience, nor do I want to drill myself, and I do not have the cash to pay for the installation along with the scoop and paint, then the stripes and install of them as well. A scoop that attaches via 3M saves me about 250 in installation.

I REALLY need help on this...
If anyone has these scoops and has done stripes or knows what I need to do or has any suggestions.. PLEASE help me.

Thanks
What I did not see you specify is whether or not you're actually going to stripe the scoop. I am getting the impression that you're not, and my advice would be to indeed NOT stripe the scoop.

I could be totally off base here, but I think BaltimoreStreetMods lets you specify alternate hood scoops you may have when you're placing your order. I think it's in another field on their page when you're ordering. Alternatively, you could call the shop and explain your situation, explicitly noting the Xenon/3Dcarbon scoop you'll have.

When I did my stripes, the BSM precut around the factory GT scoop was 99% perfect. If your new scoop measures close to factory width and length dimensions, there is a good chance it might fit well enough right through the cutout.

I would NOT attempt to lay stripes over holes and tape locations because if the scoop needs to come off for some reason, your hood stripes might be ruined as well. Also, like you said, the 3M tape might have trouble adhering to the vinyl long-term.

My advice would be to just talk to the guys at BSM. rob@baltimorestreetmods.com or give them a call. Best of luck!

Last edited by East87; 05-26-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Yea I did not want to stripe the scoop.
I can tell these scoops are a good bit different than the stock hood scoop is.
The only option they have on the site as far as specifying what type of scoop you have is a drop down menu that has factory hood scoop, or Roush hood scoop.

I dunno what to do. I am afraid that If I install stripes and lay the hood scoop over them with the 3M tape... that the tape will not adhire properly and eventually come up and damage the stripes like you said.

I really wish someone here that has a different scoop and used baltimorestreetmods
for their stripes would come and offer some input.
ARRGGGHHHH!!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:35 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
Yea I did not want to stripe the scoop.
I can tell these scoops are a good bit different than the stock hood scoop is.
The only option they have on the site as far as specifying what type of scoop you have is a drop down menu that has factory hood scoop, or Roush hood scoop.

I dunno what to do. I am afraid that If I install stripes and lay the hood scoop over them with the 3M tape... that the tape will not adhire properly and eventually come up and damage the stripes like you said.

I really wish someone here that has a different scoop and used baltimorestreetmods
for their stripes would come and offer some input.
ARRGGGHHHH!!!!
Yeah I would just call them. I'm sure they've dealt with many other mods when people have ordered stripes. They're a great group.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Talked to them. They said that either people ARE installing these over the stripes with the 3M tape (which they do NOT recommend).. OR they are having someone cut the stripes after putting them on.

I really do not like the idea of EITHER of those.
Given the fact that the only other option would be to get a factory or roush scoop, have it painted and installed... and pay another 400 bucks ON TOP of the 400 for the total cost of the stripes, plus tax, I may just leave the scoop idea out of it and perhaps just do it in the future sometime down the road if I really still have a hankerin for a scoop. (even though I would have to restripe the hood)

$900.00 seems alot of money to spend at one time. Especially for just stripes and a scoop.
I am in need of new louvers and light tinting too right now... haha.
So unless my woman just says DO IT... I'll just do the stripes and not the scoop.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

sometimes you can order them in just a big roll, ud have to cut it urself or have somebody else do it, but ud at least have enough stripe
Old 05-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

DAMMIT.

Now I am seeing more and more people with these scoops and stripes... like this guy..Id pm him but he hasn't been on in a month.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...-06legend.html

There has to be some way people are doing this without great trouble.
I REALLY wish I could get some help on this!
Old 05-26-2009, 03:28 PM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

The way I would see as best way is lay out stripes position scoop without 3m use painters tape to mark around scoop remove scoop and then use a razor blade or xacto to slowly cut away vinyl on the inside. Then mount the scoop. All in all probably take at most 20-30mins depending on how careful you want to be with your paint.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by ahddm
The way I would see as best way is lay out stripes position scoop without 3m use painters tape to mark around scoop remove scoop and then use a razor blade or xacto to slowly cut away vinyl on the inside. Then mount the scoop. All in all probably take at most 20-30mins depending on how careful you want to be with your paint.

Could you do this after you have had the stripes on for a while?

Now that I think of it... wouldnt it be BETTER to do it after they had been on a good while... (say at least month) that way you can make sure the vinyl is fully cured?

If so ... I bet you could really do it at any time using this method.

OR would it be better to do it when the stripes are fresh because doing it after would be harder to get the cut portioned off?

Quick Reply: Vinyl Stripe Problem with Hood Scoop. PLEASE HELP!