Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Saleen s/c over a GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Just curious but isn't the saleen extreme putting out 620hp (flywheel) on forged internals?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:14 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
Just curious but isn't the saleen extreme putting out 620hp (flywheel) on forged internals?
The S302 model (the latest ones) did.

The S281 model did 550hp.

See the auction below:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...fCarsQ5fTrucks.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:38 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ok now that Steve Saleen, oops I mean legion5 has spoken up (J/K Legion, but you have to admit you are a proud ANTI GT500 and PRO Saleen no matter the argument)

anyways...what some are failing to mention is that the Saleen s/c car in all of its glory is 10-15k HIGHER than a gt500...so of course the resale value should be higher as well for now...

to me it is all about opinion....I personally love the saleen....the saleen extreme is a sexy car for sure...however I PREFER the look and potential of the 5.4 forged internals of my gt500. as far as handling its like so many have said here...easily modded...as far as saleen's handling ability...again very very impressive...it really depends on what you are looking for in a car...to me if I was offered (Which by the way I was from Freedom Ford in Clearwater) if I was offered a saleen s/c 281...next to my gt500,...I still would choose my gt500 for its look...local area originality (not allot of gt500 in my area...however a few saleens floating around) and the fact been there done that with a saleen supercharged 4.6 litre engine with my 05....I would HIGHLY Reccommend the GT500...
Old 05-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Cassie01GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
Including the cost of the car's depreciation over 5 years it is impossible to beat a Saleen SC in terms of speed or acceleration if you compare it to GT500 financially speaking. This holds true all the way up to 1000 horsepower with the GT500 coming the closest to the Saleen at the 600 horsepower range where you have to upgrade the Saleen to Forged internals and a Tremec 6060 and the GT500 just needs a tune and intake.

Furthermore the difference between the top spec Saleen with all the optional parts and tires and the GT500 in terms of handling is a bit less than the difference between a Hummer H1 and a Mustang GT. I don't mean that as a joke either, that's a real fact.

Finally a 2007+ Saleen SC or a 2005+ with the 2007 tuning will beat a gt500 in every measurable and conceivable way. It's more comfortable too.

GT500s will just perform worse than Saleens due to the weight with the same parts or horsepower.

To others first, the discussion isnt about the extreme and of course the saleen can be modded for forged internals but its easier to do a suspension upgrade IMO

Now my next question was how reliable are the saleens with a supercharger? Any of you read about any problems with putting out 475hp out of the 4.6 block? Can the tranny take it for 100k miles?
Old 05-27-2009, 05:33 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cassie01GT
To others first, the discussion isnt about the extreme and of course the saleen can be modded for forged internals but its easier to do a suspension upgrade IMO

Now my next question was how reliable are the saleens with a supercharger? Any of you read about any problems with putting out 475hp out of the 4.6 block? Can the tranny take it for 100k miles?
Fwiw my 05 gt with the Saleen vi supercharger and stock auto trans had no issues with over 500 hp 422 rwhp 416lb torque had no problems except the input shaft snapping. However the actual Saleen would be fine to your mentioned miles if driven correctly and not beating the hell out of it everyday ... But the same can be said for most cars it depends how well you take care of it...a few people have really taken the 4.6 to some pretty impressive numbers and driven for many a mile. However being that it's only 2009 I think it's going to be hard to find a 2007+ with over 100,000 miles and any answers will be clear speculation
Old 05-27-2009, 06:18 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cassie01GT

suspension upgrading to a GT500 still wont be the same because of the heavy *** iron block. If i had the chance to do it all over, i would pick the GT500 because its just so god damn easy to make stupid fast. I love the saleens rear and wish i could do a gt500 SS conversion to the front but that may be later on. Ive never heard of any issues from a 475 hp saleem SC.

ive never seen anyone with 100k miles on their saleen so your question. Go test drive both of them and let that be the deciding factor. BTW, i think saleens get more looks because it looks alot diff from a normal stang. people who dont know mustangs will not know the gt500 is a cobro til they see the badge
Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 PM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChiDiddy
people who dont know mustangs will not know the gt500 is a cobro til they see the badge
who gives a crap about people who don't know mustangs.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:17 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bonestang
who gives a crap about people who don't know mustangs.
u got a point there lol
Old 05-27-2009, 08:18 PM
HoorayBeer
2nd Gear Member

i wish i had to make this decision. instead i have to decide to grab a heineken or a coors from the fridge.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by HoorayBeer
i wish i had to make this decision. instead i have to decide to grab a heineken or a coors from the fridge.
Heineken then a GT500...thats my opinion and stock for stock with the S/C I would get the GT500

Quick Reply: Why a Saleen s/c over a GT500?