Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Supercharger packages & the glass roof

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by J. Dub
I see. 25psi and all that power starts to sound alot like an axle detonating. LOL I'm beginning to think that since this GT I have on order is going to be my DD... I'd really never want to run anything past 12psi of boost.

I'm thinking this intercooled kit for the GT500 mated to the 4.6 engine will be just fine for what I do.
My next questions would be if the kit comes with injectors and an auto tensioner to "cure" the belt slipping during hard acceleration. But then again you domestic guys may not have that problem like us imports do. I think to answer that question I'll go search in the engine sections of this forum.

Thanks again for your help Cutter.
Well I can help you out a bit more now that I know its a GT and not a GT500 you have on order. You will not be able to mate a GT500 S/C to your 4.6L engine. Its intake manifold is completely diffrant than the one on your 4.6L and they are not interchangeable. Also, 4.6L stock engines running over 10psi of boost will put you well passed the safe zone on your crank for HP. Once you start pushing pass 500hp at the crank you start rolling the dice on engine life and engine failure. If your looking to max out your HP then you will need to look into getting forged internals which is the reason the GT500 motor can be pushed into the 775hp range.

Last edited by CutterWolf; 05-29-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 PM
J. Dub

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Well I can help you out a bit more now that I know its a GT and not a GT500 you have on order. You will not be able to mate a GT500 S/C to your 4.6L engine. Its intake manifold is completely diffrant than the one on your 4.6L and they are not interchangeable. Also, 4.6L stock engines running over 10psi of boost will put you well passed the safe zone on your crank for HP. Once you start pushing pass 500hp at the crank you start rolling the dice on engine life and engine failure. If your looking to max out your HP then you will need to look into getting forged internals which is the reason the GT500 motor can be pushed into the 775hp range.
Ahhhhh.... I see said the once blind man. Yea, I should have updated my post. I pulled the trigger on the GT cause noone at Ford could tell me if the GT500 would some day have the glass roof or not. Thus, the GT is what I'll be getting.
Seems if I can find the following, I'll be satisfied:

-Intercooled SC (factory warrantied if at all possible)
-8psi of boost (as you state 10 will be very iffy on 4.6L)
- an AT (auto tensioner for the belt) less 8 psi SC hard launches wouldn't see belt slip? You pre 2010 owners would now that better then me though.

I gotta have that car winning like a new born Cutter. And it sounds like 8psi on a v-8 won't be very loud. On my old 2006 RSX Type-S... We had the Jackson Racins SC up to 8psi and it screamed like a newborn down the road. Miss that whine. My current 2008 350Z is currently at 8psi as well but it's not as loud of a whine as that RSX was. Mostly due to the headers, open pipe exhaust (no CAT) I hear that more then the Supercharger.
I've been told that on the GT500 super snake you can't even hear the exhaust over all the whine. That would be sweet. Can't afford that beast though.
Thanks for your help Cutter.

Last edited by J. Dub; 05-29-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:23 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Trust me, the whipple screams at WOT. Also, you'll be fine with 10psi on the whipple tune. The tune is pretty conservative and dozens of guys are running 10psi (or 12psi with some of the newer kits) without any issues.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:20 AM
J. Dub

Noted, thanks nine. I found a thread in regards to these 4.6L and the SC's. I got alot of reading to do.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:31 PM
SMiller
2nd Gear Member

WIth a charger and a good tune you should be at 480rwhp or close to so right there with the GT500 but with the 5-speed which I like. The glass roof and track pack cannot be ordered together, so you will have to skip on the track pack and go for the 3.73 pack instead unless you are wanting auto trans, then you are stuck with 3.31's. Check around other forums and youtube to see what other guys are running and making for power. If there is a bad side to ONLY having a GT it is that the cool factor of having a GT500 just isn't there, myself I would rather have the GT but I am a little off...
Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 AM
J. Dub

Originally Posted by SMiller
WIth a charger and a good tune you should be at 480rwhp or close to so right there with the GT500 but with the 5-speed which I like. The glass roof and track pack cannot be ordered together, so you will have to skip on the track pack and go for the 3.73 pack instead unless you are wanting auto trans, then you are stuck with 3.31's. Check around other forums and youtube to see what other guys are running and making for power. If there is a bad side to ONLY having a GT it is that the cool factor of having a GT500 just isn't there, myself I would rather have the GT but I am a little off...
If that is the case then I'll just opt for the the 3.73 rear w/ the glass roof and later order the parts for the track pack.

I'm like you. I prefer the 5-spd since that will allow me to stay in boost longer then a 6-spd will.

I prefer the GT as well cause noone will know that there is an SC under the hood... Well, until it's at WOT. And, as stated, cause of the glass roof.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:57 PM
roamer

Default Glass roof for GT 500

Just to add a wrinkle to the choice - heard at a Florida dealer that the glass roof is coming to the GT500 as a late availability option. Trying to get a confirmation on another forum. Would rather have the glass roof . . . and 540 HP.