Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Wobble/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:49 AM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

Default Front Wheel Wobble/Vibration - FIXED (for now!)

My steering wheel wobbles quite a bit between 45 and 65 mph. Some days it hardly does (more of a vibration than anything) it and I've grown used to it. But today, I wanted to drive the POS off a bridge. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow before the warranty expires, but want to get some ideas.

1. I have taken the wheels off and checked to make sure the retaining clips for the brakes aren't there. They aren't.
2. One of my original aftermarket wheels was bent. So I bought new wheels last fall. Different wheels, different size and type of tire. The problem followed the wheels.
3. I've tried balancing the wheels. I've tried force balancing them. I still can't get it fixed.

Dealerships and tire places have been no help so far...Any ideas on anything else? I'm sure the dealership will say they can't find anything.

Last edited by vphokie; 05-29-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: making title appropriate
Old 05-28-2009, 10:10 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Since you bent a stock wheel maybe the suspension got damaged as well. Ford dealer will probably say its the new wheels, but you should give them a try anyway.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 AM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

front end links, check that they are tight, and check the bushings for damage.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 AM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

I forsee this getting expensive very quickly...sigh.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:33 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

If you've had 2 sets of wheels & tires causing the car to have the exact same vibration issues, it's got to be something with the car.

trust me, I know the feeling about dealers & rotating/balancing tires...my wife's Expedition has a set of the factory Ford 20" chrome clad wheels on it and 2 weeks ago I took it to the dealer and paid $40.00 to have the tires rotated & balanced. when I left, I had to get on the intestate to go home and as soon as I reached 65 the steering wheel started vibrating...and the faster I drove the worse it got. I took it back, they rebalanced them and as soon as I hit the interstate again, same thing. I took it back again, and this time had the service manager drive it (along with the guy that does the wheel balancing). he came back and said that was the best they could do and if I wanted the vibration completely gone I'd have to buy a set of new tires (my tires have more that 60% of the tread left!) I left the dealership and called a discount tire store that was on the way home and come to find out one of my TPMS bands had broke inside the tire and the clamp was just rolling around inside the tire throwing the balacing off. I paid discount to replace the band/rebalance that wheel and it's all good now....
Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Rskapof
2nd Gear Member

all these threads about dealerships get me so mad. I hate the dealership and now that my warranty is up I am perfectly glad that I can pay someone who owns their own shop and can take pride in working with my car.

The dealership told me they wanted to install a new steeda shifter, and its really hard because it involves dropping the transmission so to let them know when i want them to install it.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 PM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Hey man, I feel you on this deal. I still have a slight shake i'm still working on after new tires and rims.

Firstly, I had all 4 of my TPMS sensors fly off in the tires. The stock rims are one height the entire way across the inside of the rim where you mount the sensors/bands on the stock ones. Now my aftermarket steeda ultralights, are sloped on the inside where you mount them. The bands and sensors still fell off even though i made them super tight. You have to make sure they are mounted at the lowest point on the rims, no if, ands, or buts.

Pull your tires off and bounce them on pavement. If you hear a rattle, or ping sound, the bands have flown off inside of the tires. You will need to have all 4 tires dismounted, resecure the bands AT THE LOWEST SLOPE ON THE RIM, then remount tire back on the rim, and rebalance them. The place i went to considering i paid like $200 for all 4 tires to be match mounted and road force balanced, they redid them for free.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:46 PM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

Maybe it's my TPMS bands then. Seems especially likely since sometimes I get the TPMS fault. Rather than dismount the bands/sensors from my previous wheels, I bought a set of sensors on ebay and straps from www.americanmuscle.com . I always assumed that I bought a bad group of sensors and didn't care enough to replace them. But now I wonder if its a sign that the straps are jacked and the sensors may be bouncing around on the rim. Thanks for the advice, I'll go mess around with it tonight. I REALLY hope it's the TPMS/balance issue and NOT the suspension.

Thanks for the advice guys. Although not the best circumstances, it's always nice to hear from other guys on here, and I even enjoy the occassional rant to remind me I'm not the only one! I haven't been on here much lately...been spending my time on forums for my new 08 Suzuki GSX-R 600
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vphokie
Maybe it's my TPMS bands then. Seems especially likely since sometimes I get the TPMS fault. Rather than dismount the bands/sensors from my previous wheels, I bought a set of sensors on ebay and straps from www.americanmuscle.com . I always assumed that I bought a bad group of sensors and didn't care enough to replace them. But now I wonder if its a sign that the straps are jacked and the sensors may be bouncing around on the rim. Thanks for the advice, I'll go mess around with it tonight. I REALLY hope it's the TPMS/balance issue and NOT the suspension.

Thanks for the advice guys. Although not the best circumstances, it's always nice to hear from other guys on here, and I even enjoy the occassional rant to remind me I'm not the only one! I haven't been on here much lately...been spending my time on forums for my new 08 Suzuki GSX-R 600
Yeah it will take 5 minutes to check this. Just jack up one tire, and pull it off. Let it bounce, if you hear a very distinct TWANG, that is the band hitting the rim cause it's loose.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vphokie
....been spending my time on forums for my new 08 Suzuki GSX-R 600
Not adding NOS to the fuel are ya?

Do your rims require spacers? Some aftermarket wheels are not hub centric and you could try to balance the tires until your teeth fall out, you will get vibrations.
I am thinking possibly when the wheels are mounted, they are not dead center on the hub. Just a thought, and our shop has come across that problem in the past.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Wobble/Vibration