Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions needed, coupe vs conv

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Olythekid
1st Gear Member

Here's my take:

If it's a sport or muscle car, got to have a tin top. If it's anything else, I'll enjoy the plaisure of a convertible.

Also, check with ur wife & kid if u have any. When I had my Seibring Vert I couldn't really go conv when wife/kid onboard. Wife complained it was killing her hair nor fun to have hair on her face, kid complained too much wind and wind concussion bass effect.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:32 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by gdear66
I had a 96 eclipse. Fun car to drive. I traded it in for a WRX. After that I bought my 02 GT.

I didn't know you would lose sync with the audio upgrade, that sux. I am definitely getting the nav system. I've got an 09 F150 and absolutely love this with the sync!
i think I mis-spoke..err typed. You cannot get the Shaker 1000 with the NAV system. But I think the Shaker 1000 still has SYNC
Old 05-28-2009, 04:23 PM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

I have an 05 gt vert and an08 Shelby gt 500 vert both cars are Quiet and have no water problems just treat the top with Ragg top and your good to go IMO put on a light bar and it will look awesome with the top down!!! The o5 had a tsb with the cabels once I replaced them quiet as could be. It is still your call? Hope this help? I also live in Fl.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:33 PM
cad316
1st Gear Member

Anybody know the weight difference between the vert and the glasstop on the 2010?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
With the Shaler 1000 U lose the SYNC and I personally did not think it was worth that
according to fordengineer. You do not loose sync.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:29 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder
according to fordengineer. You do not loose sync.
I alreay corrected myself 2 post below that one
Old 05-28-2009, 07:57 PM
gdear66
2nd Gear Member

Either way, I've got to have the nav system and sync. If the shaker won't go with both then no shaker 1000. The sync sets every Ford model above its competitors IMO.

The more I think about it, I bet the kids would probably complain about the wind, I know the wife is not too enthusiastic about a vert. The best would be the glass top but its not available with the GT 500.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:26 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by gdear66
Either way, I've got to have the nav system and sync. If the shaker won't go with both then no shaker 1000. The sync sets every Ford model above its competitors IMO.

The more I think about it, I bet the kids would probably complain about the wind, I know the wife is not too enthusiastic about a vert. The best would be the glass top but its not available with the GT 500.
I agree. I also like the fact that with the awesome NAV I don't have to have a Garmin or such uglying up my window hanging there and then power cord and such.

Play Artist... Linkin Park...

Gotta love it man!!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I just got my convertible last month.

I notice outside noises are louder. With the top up I hear cars go by much easier even with the windows up and all. The lack of a solid C-pillar and side glass window lets in noise there.

The stereo seems to sound better in a coupe, with the rear speakers in the back below the window, instead of right behind the front seats in the vert. Plus it is difficult to see the readout on the stereo with the top down.

You will also want to think about weather, as the whole idea of a guy driving in a vert on a sunny day, hair blowing in the wind, etc, is kind of a myth. You will need a hat! The hot sun will burn your scalp, or worse, if you don't have protection. And if it isn't how you may not even notice you're sunburned until that night.

On the plus side, a convertible usually will retain its value better. The saying is "when the top goes down the price goes up".
And there's nothing like driving with the top down, especially if you are driving through a scenic area. You miss a lot of stuff when driving a Mustang coupe through downtown! I love having the top down and seeing all the houses in Malibu, with their unique architecture. And if you have an interest in planes or helicopters you'll finally be able to see them. Or just finding an address seems to be easier too! Don't try house hunting in a coupe! LOL
Plus most ladies will prefer a convertible, and we know how scared they can get when they see a muscle car!
Old 09-19-2009, 11:53 PM
2010GT_Vert

Can't beat the convertible for cruising along the Gulf Coast around Sunset or on moonlit night...at high noon I just put the top back up...I like to have the option...test drove the coupe and vert...was a toss-up until the top came down!

Quick Reply: Opinions needed, coupe vs conv