Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More power for Whipple Crew members!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:50 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Smile More power for Whipple Crew members!!!!!!

I was on the phone with Mike at Whipple discussing how I had blown my second belt as a result of a very hard drag race start this past weekend. I was just going to order another belt and check the tensioner for alignment, when I remembered that the new Whipples put out 550 HP vs 500 HP. He said that all I need for the upgrade were two new pulley wheels and a smaller belt and bam..+50hp. Cost was around $170 if I recall ( I am at home now and did this at work today). He also mentioned that Steeda has an excellent billet tensioner for $200 that is much stronger than stock. Whipple has one too but its $400, that is until they start making it themselves. This stuff goes on on Saturday so I will let you know if the seat-of-the-pants-o-meter feels something. God love Whipple!
Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you might want to check the tune after changing the pulley also, before going ***** out at the track.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:23 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

You should just save your money on the pulleys and tensioner and get the steeda/whipple belt drive......you run one belt for the accessories and one for the compressor/crank pulley. It is expensive but it will be the last belt you need and is 10 rib and no belt slip. They have pulleys that goe from 11 psi -19 psi (depends if you have a gen1 or 2 Whipple- you have the gen2 I believe).

Just an FYI and you may have seen it already and the high price tag but in the long run and esp for drag fans it is a worthy investment.

link
http://www.steeda.com/products/whipp...ower_drive.php
Old 05-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

I have a extra belt for sale if your interested..
Old 05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Hey MYGT500 that is a great kit, i didi buy the Steeda tensioner because for sure that is my problem to a tee, the stock unit is bending under pressure and snap goes the belt.

Vcoat thanks for the offer but now I need the shorter belt from whipple becasue I went to a smaller pulley, i appreciate it
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yes yes, but you have to love your
non forged engine too! good luck with
whatever you do

Originally Posted by fakesnake

God love Whipple!
Old 05-29-2009, 01:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
You should just save your money on the pulleys and tensioner and get the steeda/whipple belt drive......you run one belt for the accessories and one for the compressor/crank pulley. It is expensive but it will be the last belt you need and is 10 rib and no belt slip. They have pulleys that goe from 11 psi -19 psi (depends if you have a gen1 or 2 Whipple- you have the gen2 I believe).

Just an FYI and you may have seen it already and the high price tag but in the long run and esp for drag fans it is a worthy investment.

link
http://www.steeda.com/products/whipp...ower_drive.php
I'm just waiting for you to buy it and report how much boost it makes.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:12 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

What size pulley did you order? I'm a bit confused about what you are doing. The HO kit used to come stock with a 3.375 pulley that is supposed to produce 10psi. Did you order a smaller pulley than that?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:11 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

hey Moosestang
I went up one pulley wheel size I believe to 12psi, they also said I needed one other accessory wheel, and a shorter gates belt. Mile is the guy who sold everything to me. I also ordered a new tensioner from Saleen which looks like a mandatory upgrade for Whipple owners. After it all goes on the car I will tell you how it feels.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:25 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fakesnake
hey Moosestang
I went up one pulley wheel size I believe to 12psi, they also said I needed one other accessory wheel, and a shorter gates belt. Mile is the guy who sold everything to me. I also ordered a new tensioner from Saleen which looks like a mandatory upgrade for Whipple owners. After it all goes on the car I will tell you how it feels.
What is the diameter of the supercharger pulley you ordered?

Quick Reply: More power for Whipple Crew members!!!!!!