Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: Change Differential Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:06 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Did you use a pump to put refill or you can fit the bottle up there?
Old 06-02-2009, 04:50 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

^ I didn't use a pump and there is not enough room to put the bottle into the fill hole, so I used a 6' plastic tube. I inserted one end of the tube into the fill hole and attached the other to the nozzle on the gear oil bottle. Then I held the bottle upside down and squeezed it until empty...continuing with more bottles until level with the fill hole. Works great .

You could use a pump but it didn't seem necessary to buy if I didn't already have one laying around.

Last edited by degeze; 06-02-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

For you guys that are considering a rear cover with drain holes... I've been holding off on my fluid swap until I found the perfect cover and there only seems to be one kind that allows for the use of the stock location panhard bar, LPW http://www.lpwracing.com/. They are also sold by Steeda. I really didn't want to have to relocate my panhard bar and this seems to be the ticket to a drain-hole cover w/o relocation bracket for the panhard. I ordered one this week. Just thought I would add that info to this great how-to thread. I also vote this one a sticky. Great pics and writeup! And a nice clean undercarriage helps .
Old 06-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

You can also use this method to swap your tranny fluid. Remove your shifter boot, run the tube down into the tranny fill hole. Works great, especially with Royal Purple's style of container with the nice stepped cap that fits tight up into the tube. I'm going to use an old RP bottle to get the Amsoil (which comes in a regular type oil container) into the rear diff when I do mine...

Originally Posted by degeze
^ I didn't use a pump and there is not enough room to put the bottle into the fill hole, so I used a 6' plastic tube. I inserted one end of the tube into the fill hole and attached the other to the nozzle on the gear oil bottle. Then I held the bottle upside down and squeezed it until empty...continuing with more bottles until level with the fill hole. Works great .

You could use a pump but it didn't seem necessary to buy if I didn't already have one laying around.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 AM
degeze
5th Gear Member

^ This is the same method I used to change my tranny fluid a few weeks back. Here is the How To for the tranny fluid change for anyone interested.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:28 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

I did it yesterday. I bought a hand pump from O'railly's for 8 bucks. It looks like a large soap dispenser. It is called Hand pump for Quarts or Gallons. It screws right on the Royal purple bottle. It worked like a charm. (about 30 pushes to the bottle but a lot easier than squeezing etc... really cool gadget). Used the longer tube to reach all the way to the bottom of the royal purple. No mess at all.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 AM
degeze
5th Gear Member

^ Glad everything worked out .
Old 06-03-2009, 12:17 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

Great write-up, thanks.

So there's no such thing as overfilling the differential fluid, since you fill it to the top, right?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:18 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
For you guys that are considering a rear cover with drain holes... I've been holding off on my fluid swap until I found the perfect cover and there only seems to be one kind that allows for the use of the stock location panhard bar, LPW http://www.lpwracing.com/.
FYI, here's a new one from Fore Precision Works. $349... yikes.

http://www.foreprecisionworks.com/0058-100.html

Old 06-03-2009, 12:39 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigray327
Great write-up, thanks.

So there's no such thing as overfilling the differential fluid, since you fill it to the top, right?
You're welcome, and you fill it until the fluid is level with the bottom of the fill hole.

Originally Posted by bigray327
That thing looks like it belongs on a robot...I'll pass.

Quick Reply: How To: Change Differential Fluid