Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternatives to 3M Tape for Honeycomb Panel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:56 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default Alternatives to 3M Tape for Honeycomb Panel?

Hey guys, I just tried putting on my honeycomb panel from Silverhorse Racing for the trunk lid, and it went on slightly crooked, so I had to take it off (used some fishing line to cut the tape a little and then pried on the panel and it came off without too much trouble.)

So I've got to give it another shot, but I was thinking of a few different options I could use to put the panel back on and I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts/experience with any of these options.

1. Buy some more 3M tape, put new stuff on the honeycomb panel and just give it another go. It comes this way so it'll probably be effective, I just don't want to mess it up again and end up starting over, and over, and over...

2. Some trunk panels come with magnetic strips or something on them and just pop onto the trunk, so I was thinking this might work, but there are a few things I was wondering about with the magnetic strip situation.
- The Silverhorse honeycomb is curved to the trunk but you have to put tension on it when you stick it on there so it fits properly, so would magnets be able to hold the panel in place even with the tension that it's normally under?
- Someone I asked about this said magnets could potentially ruin the paint. Any truth/risk to that?
- I live in Canada where it gets nice and cold in the winter (sometimes down around -20 F), would magnets have any trouble holding up in the cold? What about when I wash and get water on them which freezes, any potential trouble there?

3. Someone on this board once applied a trunk panel by taking velcro tape and applying one side of the velcro to the trunk lid (and then wrapped it around the edge of the trunk lid and inside the trunk lid so it all stayed in place), then applied the other side of the velcro onto the rear panel and stuck it all in place with velcro. Holds up, easily removed, etc. But same thing I wonder with the magnetic strips, how would that be in the cold weather and getting wet when I wash the car?

4. I could take black body screws and just screw the panel onto the trunk lid, but I don't know. If I can avoid punching any holes in the car, I will, so this isn't really an ideal option.

So, any thoughts on these alternatives? I think my most viable options are either re-applying the 3M tape and trying again, or buying magnetic strips somewhere and modifying the honeycomb panel to work in the same way the other aftermarket panels work which come with magnetic strips.

But I'm concerned about messing up with the 3M again (I might not get so lucky next time and end up damaging the trunk lid while removing the tape) and as for the magnetic strips, I really just don't know how they work and what kind of potential issues can come up with that setup, especially considering the cold weather I get into here in the winter.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:25 PM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

I think your best bet is to just stick with the tape. The magnet idea might work, after all...there's a panel that someone makes that is magnetic. I'd definitely avoid drilling!

Sounds like the tape worked the first time...just have to be patient with putting everything on straight!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I'd say stay with the 3M tape as well.

I'd try bubble gum on my car before I drilled holes into it! lol.

Mine has been on since I bought my car in March of 06 with the 3M tape. So I think that's your best bet.