Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the Hell? Brand new (900 miles) Mustang GT down 1/2 a quart?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 AM
roadracer516
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by carmanwelder
I find it hard to believe that synthetic oil caused your seating problems and blowby. There's nothing I've seen, read or come across to suggest that synthetic causes these problems. What mechanic did you go to that led you to believe that?
I built my own motors on my racebikes. I did not go by what anyone told me, I went on first hand experience. You might say that car engines are different then motorcycle engines, but both have to be broken in properly. I have heard of car engines having similar issues. Good synthetic oil is MUCH slicker then conventional oil and can hinder piston rings from seating properly. I have had it happen when a buddy put synthetic oil in my motor without my knowing after a complete rebuild. I was losing oil like crazy after I broke the motor in well on the dyno and thought I was changing out conventional oil to synthetic. ALL the oil loss I was experiencing was oil passing through the piston rings in all four cylinders.

I talked to the crew chief at Rockstar Makita Yoshimura Suzuki and he said they would NEVER break a motor in with synthetic oil. They gingerly break in on the dyno with conventional oil for two hours in intervals. We sponsor this team as we do many other factory race teams. This team has dozens of national championships under their belt, I am sure they know what they are taking about.

Take it for what its worth, if you think I am wrong, no worries, throw synthetic oil in anytime! Technology has come a long way in the 5 or six years since I built any motors, so maybe car motors are different now.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 AM
carmanwelder
2nd Gear Member

These engines as far as I know it do not require a break in period. Unless you had your engine rebuilt from a shop engines now a a days come ready to go ..no break in requirement. It has been awhile since I have done a total rebuild myself and in the begining I was not sold on synthetic, for one the price, two I was old school and thought that regular oil and changes were just as good as synthetic. Sorry to rag on this thread, but its like the old saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" applies.

Last edited by carmanwelder; 06-01-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

These engines as far as I know it do not require a break in period.
My 2007 Owner's Guide says, "Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils during the first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation, since these additives may prevent piston ring seating."
Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 AM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

I just changed my oil this past weekend. Used 6qts of Amsoil 0W-20 and the FRPP oil filter. My dipstick reads above the crosshatched portion of the stick and right below the top hole.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:18 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

It was probably a bit low when u got the car. U should be OK. Just top it off and just watch it.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Oil

Originally Posted by Riptide
The car takes 6.0 quarts. With 6.0 in there it always reads right in the middle for me. That means buying 6.0 quarts, pouring some into the filter first, and dumping the rest down the filler.

Top it off and then you'll be near the top dot. But you'll be over 6.0.
Same here. There is no problem. Just enjoy your new ride.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

These engines as far as I know it do not require a break in period. Unless you had your engine rebuilt from a shop engines now a a days come ready to go ..no break in requirement. It has been awhile since I have done a total rebuild myself and in the begining I was not sold on synthetic, for one the price, two I was old school and thought that regular oil and changes were just as good as synthetic. Sorry to rag on this thread, but its like the old saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" applies.
I would NOT make that assumption. Not having a specified break-in procedure (minimum number of miles with specified speed and rpm limits) does not mean that the general guidelines for vehicle usage during the first couple thousand miles or so don't qualify as a "break-in" period. I'm pretty sure that there's something in the 2008 Owner's Manual about this - I know I looked this up once but I don't remember where I posted it.

You aren't breaking in flat-tappet pushrod lifters any more, but most everything else that needs to get microscopically friendly with some other part is still there, and it'll still generate more heat fresh off the dealer's lot with a temp tag in the rear window than it will 5,000 miles later.

All of the engines that I've built were assembled with file-fit rings and with all clearances checked. You don't really know what the actual clearances inside that new 4.6 are. Most of the time it may not matter, but you don't know with absolute certainty that your individual engine is a "most of the time" unit or not.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-01-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Just because I knew where to find this,

I'd go easy during the break-in period, especially if this car is going to be a "keeper". Ford is only listing what they consider to be minimum requirements with respect to warranty issues and no more. Don't forget that you're breaking in more than just the rings, bearings, and other engine parts. Transmission internals, differential gears, and even the clutch (if it's a manual) also need some sort of break-in period.

Break-in is an sort of final micro-polishing step between all the parts that move against other parts. Heat is generated, parts expand at different rates, and tiny bits of metal are worn off. It's best to minimize the heat (less likely to have a local hot-spot develop) and change the oil and filter early to get rid of the early debris. Varying the speed changes the way the oil splashes over everything, which also is in the interest of not letting hot spots develop. I should mention that oil is the main way that some parts are cooled, and is the only cooling available for others. This also means that the oil tends to run a bit hotter during break-in, which effectively shortens its life.

Probably the worst thing you could do would be to take a fresh engine and run it hard without waiting for it to (fully) warm up.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-01-2009 at 12:44 PM.