Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the Hell? Brand new (900 miles) Mustang GT down 1/2 a quart?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:48 AM
MRGTX
1st Gear Member

Default What the Hell? Brand new (900 miles) Mustang GT down 1/2 a quart?!?!

I have to confess that at just about 900 miles, I am checking my oil for the first time. I guess I just assumed that everything would be fine with a brand new car.

So the reading on the dip stick is right in the middle of the range (between the two holes in the stick). In my experience, the stick usually measures the top quart of oil... right?

Is this something to be worried about? Could being down a bit of oil screw up the break-in cycle?

I plan to run Mobil 1 once I have my first oil change but what should I top it up with?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The car takes 6.0 quarts. With 6.0 in there it always reads right in the middle for me. That means buying 6.0 quarts, pouring some into the filter first, and dumping the rest down the filler.

Top it off and then you'll be near the top dot. But you'll be over 6.0.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:04 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Did you check the oil level the first day you got it? If not, how can you be sure it's down 1/2 quart... maybe it just wasn't filled all the way up to begin with.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:05 AM
roadracer516
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I have to confess that at just about 900 miles, I am checking my oil for the first time. I guess I just assumed that everything would be fine with a brand new car.

So the reading on the dip stick is right in the middle of the range (between the two holes in the stick). In my experience, the stick usually measures the top quart of oil... right?

Is this something to be worried about? Could being down a bit of oil screw up the break-in cycle?

I plan to run Mobil 1 once I have my first oil change but what should I top it up with?

Any help would be appreciated.
Its really not recommended to switch to synthetic that soon. You should give the motor a few thousand miles for the rings to seat well. I would not change to synthetic in my own car until 4-5K miles personally. Just my .02
Old 05-30-2009, 09:19 AM
MRGTX
1st Gear Member

Thanks, guys... no, I didn't check it when I took delivery of the car. I should have, I guess. I will certainly be monitoring it closely from here on out.

Riptide, that makes me feel a little better... so perhaps the factory just doesn't top up the filter first? Has anyone else ever checked their oil on delivery? What did you find?

Roadracer516, thanks for the tip on that. Maybe I'll wait for oil change #2 before switching to synthetic... I'll read up.

What brand/weight should I top it up with in the mean time??

Thanks again, guys.. you're the best.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I would just watch it and make sure the level doesn't go down. If it stays at the halfway mark on the stick you are perfectly FINE.

And to reiterate what I said earlier. If you buy exactly 6.0 quarts. Crack open your first quart, fill up the filter partially. Then put the rest in the system. You will have it up to the halfway mark on the dipstick. It will take 6.25 quarts or thereabouts to get the level up to the top dot.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:44 AM
carmanwelder
2nd Gear Member

these cars at least mine run from the factory on synthetic
Old 05-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

They run from the factory on a synthetic blend.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:07 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

Mine has always read halfway on the dipstick, even right after an oil change.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Riptide
They run from the factory on a synthetic blend.
+1 a synthetic blend. I just took mine in for it's 4th oil change (12K) and the service guy asked me if I wanted to switch to full synth. Nope, not unless I'm running FI.

Quick Reply: What the Hell? Brand new (900 miles) Mustang GT down 1/2 a quart?!?!