Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conventional Oil in the 2010 Mustang GT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:05 AM
MustangJSM

Default Conventional Oil in the 2010 Mustang GT?

Hello all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I just bought myself a 2010 Mustang GT Premium, and I'm anxiously awaiting delivery since it has to be ordered from the factory.

I'm a do-it-yourself oil change guy, and was wondering if conventional oil can be used in this year's GT model? Not that I am being cheap or anything, but I'm just curious since it seems that the manual can be confusing in terms of parts/fluid recommendations.

I know that the owner's manual recommends synthetic blend and/or full synthetic, but most dino oils meet the Ford WSS-M2C930-A spec, which is also stated by the manual.

I'll most likely end up using a full synthetic, but I'd just like to know if it would be overkill or not.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:38 AM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

i am pretty sure youprobablly are gonna need to use synthetic what is your reason for wanting to use conventional. pretty much 90% of cars now especially ones with hp 250 and above should use synthetic
Old 05-30-2009, 12:10 PM
MustangJSM

Originally Posted by boomee
i am pretty sure youprobablly are gonna need to use synthetic what is your reason for wanting to use conventional.
It's just a matter of curiosity, since the owner's manual doesn't directly say to use synthetic oil. They simply recommend their own brand of oil (Motorcraft), and then go on to say that any SAE 5W-20 meeting the Ford spec would be acceptable (which happens to be conventional oil, also).

Just for comparison, if you look at the Shelby GT500 manual for 2010 (which is available on Ford's website), they directly say that you should use a synthetic oil.

Originally Posted by boomee
pretty much 90% of cars now especially ones with hp 250 and above should use synthetic
Do you have a credible source that states this?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

My yukon is 353 hp and it says nothing about using synthetic. Only vehicle that I have right now that clearly states to use synthetic is the vette. But I use mobile 1 fully synthetic in all of them.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:31 PM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

Do you have a credible source that states this?[/QUOTE]

there is a car show I listen to on the weekends called Gosses Garage listen to it sometime
Old 05-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

Synthetic is never a bad thing. If you can afford it, then use it, but if cost is prohibitive, you can run conventional in the 4.6.

Most domestics that use synthetics use Mobil 1, and it will usually say such on the oil fill cap.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:52 AM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Never2mucHP
Synthetic is never a bad thing. If you can afford it, then use it, but if cost is prohibitive, you can run conventional in the 4.6.

Most domestics that use synthetics use Mobil 1, and it will usually say such on the oil fill cap.
man never too much i see your list of cars you have had that is the dream list of cars i want the ver same years too lucky GUy
Old 05-31-2009, 08:56 AM
MustangJSM

Originally Posted by Never2mucHP
Would a synthetic blend be the "mid-range" option?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I noticed that the dealership that had been doing my "free" oil changes had been using a blend oil. I assume it's the one mentioned and not a full synthetic.
If you change your own oil why do an expensive synthetic? How often would you change it?

My 2008 manual lists oil changes at every 7,500 miles
I assume that's with the blend Motorcraft oil

How long would you go with a full synthetic? I assume the purpose of a synth is so you can put more miles on between changes, and is used by people who drive a lot.

Has that changed?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:09 PM
MustangJSM

Originally Posted by Orion_240
If you change your own oil why do an expensive synthetic? How often would you change it?
I'm the type of person who likes to change my oil at the beginning of each season. With the low-cost of conventional oil, plus the fact that I just enjoy changing my own oil, it seems to make the most sense to dump it every three months and get a fresh fill.

To do this with a synthetic would seem like a waste of both money and good oil.

Originally Posted by Orion_240

How long would you go with a full synthetic? I assume the purpose of a synth is so you can put more miles on between changes, and is used by people who drive a lot.

Has that changed?
If I had a synthetic, I'd most likely extend oil changes to about six months. Again, it would be difficult for me to do so, given how much I enjoy frequent changes.

Quick Reply: Conventional Oil in the 2010 Mustang GT?