MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Activating the Shift Light (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/541379-activating-the-shift-light.html)

MustangU 05-30-2009 07:16 PM

Activating the Shift Light

Hey all, Has anyone figured out a way to activate the switch light on our tachs? there is an inactive shift light underneath the 4 on the tach. I have heard that it is only for shelbys but that all mustangs have it it is just inactive. Anyone know more about this?

howarmat 05-30-2009 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by MustangU (Post 6243198)
Hey all, Has anyone figured out a way to activate the switch light on our tachs? there is an inactive shift light underneath the 4 on the tach. I have heard that it is only for shelbys but that all mustangs have it it is just inactive. Anyone know more about this?

no that is not true because the GT500s have a different gauge setup than the gts and there is no shift light for the standard cluster

5LitersOfFury 06-05-2009 11:07 AM

No, there IS a shift light in the GT cluster, but as far as I know, nobody has figured out how to activate it, if it is even possible. It's right below the 4 on the tach. I've been trying to figure this out as well.

Stkjock 06-05-2009 11:49 AM

just buy a Raptor for $100

157dB 06-05-2009 11:56 AM

Not possable.
If it was, I would have already done it.
Buy a Raptor.

SixN2 06-05-2009 12:00 PM

Not trying to flame anybody, but I really can't understand why anyone would want a shift light. My Jeep came with one; it's possibly one of the most useless and irritating "features" devised in my opinion. The way I look at it, if you've driven a stick for any length of time then you really don't need a light to tell you when to shift.

bigray327 06-05-2009 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by SixN2 (Post 6258410)
Not trying to flame anybody, but I really can't understand why anyone would want a shift light. My Jeep came with one; it's possibly one of the most useless and irritating "features" devised in my opinion. The way I look at it, if you've driven a stick for any length of time then you really don't need a light to tell you when to shift.

Because hitting the rev limiter makes you lose races. And some of us get to redline very, very quickly.

The up arrow on the tach would be pretty useless, though, unless it's much brighter than the rest of the dash. If you have to look at it to see it, you might as well be looking at the tach itself. The purpose of a shift light is to NOT have to look down.

BigGameHunter589 06-05-2009 12:49 PM

the exhaust note is my shift light lol

Stkjock 06-05-2009 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by SixN2 (Post 6258410)

well you drive a V6, so you'll never understand.... :eek:

wolfie 06-05-2009 03:27 PM

I think the shift light is only to tell you when to shift up for best economy and would not be adjustable.

degeze 06-05-2009 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigGameHunter589 (Post 6258525)

+1 :)

BigGameHunter589 06-05-2009 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stkjock (Post 6258529)

Irrelevant.

its a personal preference.

Stkjock 06-05-2009 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by BigGameHunter589 (Post 6259606)
Irrelevant.

its a personal preference.

sounds like cylinder envy.... :p

SixN2 06-05-2009 10:12 PM

Ah, so comprehension level depends on the number of cylinders under the hood... guess I'll turn into a blathering idiot when I drive my 4 cylinder Jeep. Thanks for your infinate wisdom. :rolleyes:

bigmax350 06-05-2009 10:16 PM

cant anyone take a joke? hahahaha

HypromanGT 06-06-2009 01:01 AM

Not to stray off the "He who has the most cylinders wins" topic (it's pretty riveting...really), but has does anyone know if there is actually a light there at all or what? 157db, you said it's not possible, and I would tend to believe you, but why exactly isn't it? Is there no light? No wiring connector?

I don't think I would ever want to "enable" this light, but I am curious as to what exactly is stopping this from working. If there's no light, then someone could probably install a light there. The same could be said about wiring. I am guessing that the real problem is that there is simply no electronic component to turn such a thing on or off as needed, based on RPM, engine load, etc.

WHATmynamechanged 06-06-2009 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by BigGameHunter589 (Post 6258525)

X2, if you need a shift light.... racing is not your thing

dagamore 06-06-2009 01:42 AM

what if you are using it to keep the same shift point, say 5.8krpms? for more consistent times as in bracket racing? or are your ears that perfectly tuned to know when you go from 5.5k to 5.8k but not 5.85k rpms for your shifting?

WHATmynamechanged 06-06-2009 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by dagamore (Post 6260159)
what if you are using it to keep the same shift point, say 5.8krpms? for more consistent times as in bracket racing? or are your ears that perfectly tuned to know when you go from 5.5k to 5.8k but not 5.85k rpms for your shifting?

no not perfect but I know from 5.8 to 5.85 will make no significant difference, I don't know if your auto or stick but if your bracket racing you would fair better with an auto. Street racing which I favor IMO a stick is best.

157dB 06-06-2009 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by HypromanGT (Post 6260098)
Not to stray off the "He who has the most cylinders wins" topic (it's pretty riveting...really), but has does anyone know if there is actually a light there at all or what? 157db, you said it's not possible, and I would tend to believe you, but why exactly isn't it? Is there no light? No wiring connector?

OK, a quick schooling on the modern S197 Mustangs electrical platform.
Its not the same as vehicles of yesteryear. There are wires but all the
information thats traded inbetween modules is on either a hi or low speed
CAN BUSS. Its programming that enables the cluster to illuminate the light
and the PCM that tells the cluster over the CAN BUSS when to light it.
Become a Ford systems programmer or sweet talk a high level Ford tech
to put the programming in place to enable the shift light.
The shift light sensor is the PCM and programming will be needed to enable
it to send the shift light data to the cluster when it needs to be illuminated.

Once again, if it could be done, I would have already done it.

I thought it was whom ever had the smallest weiner dog had the most cyls. :)

Stkjock 06-06-2009 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by SixN2 (Post 6259793)
Ah, so comprehension level depends on the number of cylinders under the hood... guess I'll turn into a blathering idiot when I drive my 4 cylinder Jeep. Thanks for your infinate wisdom. :rolleyes:

nothing to do with comprehension, all about speed, IMHO you've already demonstrated your intellect

tell you what, put up some time slips or STFU about racing

Originally Posted by WHATmynamechanged (Post 6260114)
X2, if you need a shift light.... racing is not your thing

/\ goes double for you.... put up some timeslips or STFU about racing

Originally Posted by bigmax350 (Post 6259809)
cant anyone take a joke? hahahaha

apparently not....

Originally Posted by WHATmynamechanged (Post 6260188)
no not perfect but I know from 5.8 to 5.85 will make no significant difference, I don't know if your auto or stick but if your bracket racing you would fair better with an auto. Street racing which I favor IMO a stick is best.

with a stick a shift light allows you to be more consistent no doubt, and when you car goes 0-60 in around 3 seconds it certainly helps the 1-2 shift.

SixN2 06-06-2009 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stkjock (Post 6260621)

LMAO
And where, exactly, have I ever said a single thing about racing?

I just don't understand why somebody would be interested in having an OEM-style shift light; its purpose is to tell you when to shift for best fuel milage and in my opinion is quite worthless for anybody that's been driving a stick for more than a couple months.

If it's a redline shift light you're after, you'd be much better off with something brighter and nearer your line of sight than an OEM-style light in the stock gauge cluster.

Stkjock 06-06-2009 01:17 PM

primary purpose of a shift light is for racing... wash the sand out of your crotch. the gt500 light is a programmable one from what I've heard for optimal performance not economy

HypromanGT 06-06-2009 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by 157db (Post 6260433)
OK, a quick schooling on the modern S197 Mustangs electrical platform.
Its not the same as vehicles of yesteryear. There are wires but all the
information thats traded inbetween modules is on either a hi or low speed
CAN BUSS. Its programming that enables the cluster to illuminate the light
and the PCM that tells the cluster over the CAN BUSS when to light it.
Become a Ford systems programmer or sweet talk a high level Ford tech
to put the programming in place to enable the shift light.
The shift light sensor is the PCM and programming will be needed to enable
it to send the shift light data to the cluster when it needs to be illuminated.

Once again, if it could be done, I would have already done it.

I thought it was whom ever had the smallest weiner dog had the most cyls. :)

Thanks! That makes complete sense. Now I can safely dump this ridiculous thread! :D

vphokie 06-06-2009 05:04 PM

There are two types of Mustang drivers...those of us who drive the car as our main driver and just enjoy the sportiness of it or the appearance and those who have gone all out to mod the car to drag race it. Why do people who mod and drag their car instantly assume they know more than those of us who don't and why do they assume everyone wants to race? The 18 vs 20 discussion is even worse... The bickering on this page is getting as bad as on the motorcycle forums sometimes...

Back on topic though, a shift light would get on my nerves and I'm glad we don't have them. Seems like they always encourage shifting early.

Stkjock 06-06-2009 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by vphokie (Post 6261169)
There are two types of Mustang drivers...those of us who drive the car as our main driver and just enjoy the sportiness of it or the appearance and those who have gone all out to mod the car to drag race it. Why do people who mod and drag their car instantly assume they know more than those of us who don't and why do they assume everyone wants to race? The 18 vs 20 discussion is even worse... The bickering on this page is getting as bad as on the motorcycle forums sometimes...

Back on topic though, a shift light would get on my nerves and I'm glad we don't have them. Seems like they always encourage shifting early.

well to reply to the modding/racing issue. if you mod your car your generally researching a lot more about how the car works and how different parts work together, so IMHO, those people will have more knowledge of how the cars work. As to the "everyone wants to race" certainly that is not the belief, however this thread's topic was about a shift light and that is inherent IMO to useful racing. A light to shift for daily driving is just silly IMHO.

WHATmynamechanged 06-07-2009 09:15 AM

GFY-self

Originally Posted by Stkjock (Post 6260621)
nothing to do with comprehension, all about speed, IMHO you've already demonstrated your intellect

/\ goes double for you.... put up some timeslips or STFU about racing

apparently not....

with a stick a shift light allows you to be more consistent no doubt, and when you car goes 0-60 in around 3 seconds it certainly helps the 1-2 shift.

awakeinAZ 06-07-2009 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Stkjock (Post 6260791)
The gt500 light is a programmable one from what I've heard for optimal performance not economy

There are two lights. One is the up arrow medium yellow color in the lower left and flashes when you get around 3K rpm. The other one is not seen normally, is programable via mycolor buttons for say 6100 rpm is a bright RED "SVT" in the tach guage.

You can see both the lights in this pic of gt500 dash I just got off ebay.

Art161 06-07-2009 02:29 PM

I wonder whether you could rig up an audible indicator. I had a car with a buzzer that sounded when you reached a predetermined speed. It had a needle that you set with a knob to whatever speed you wanted. When the speedometer needle got to the point where the other needle was, it tripped a buzzer. I didn't need to look at the speedometer all that often, because the sound would alert me.

awakeinAZ 06-07-2009 03:55 PM

That's a great idea because you don't have time to watch the tack or look down.

Stkjock 06-07-2009 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by WHATmynamechanged (Post 6262245)
***-self

ohhhh that's whitty, how bout those slips....... ???

Originally Posted by awakeinAZ (Post 6262308)
There are two lights. One is the up arrow medium yellow color in the lower left and flashes when you get around 3K rpm. The other one is not seen normally, is programable via mycolor buttons for say 6100 rpm is a bright RED "SVT" in the tach guage.

You can see both the lights in this pic of gt500 dash I just got off ebay.

thanks for the info

Originally Posted by awakeinAZ (Post 6262876)
That's a great idea because you don't have time to watch the tack or look down.

with most aftermarket lights, you have no worry about looking down, it bright enough to see looking at the road.

07musclemustang 06-07-2009 07:05 PM

my daddy can beat up your daddy

Art161 06-07-2009 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by 07musclemustang (Post 6263211)
my daddy can beat up your daddy

I won't argue with you about that. But my mommy can beat up your daddy. :D