Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Weather and the Short Drop Glass feature

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 11:27 PM
Jim Smyth
1st Gear Member

Default Winter Weather and the Short Drop Glass feature

Just picked up my new car yesterday and love it. Already got the new mods coming! ;-) Just finished reading the owners manual and have a very important question for any one that has had there car out with ice/snow all over it.

The windows you know by now if you own the car drop down about a half inch when you open the door and the window goes back up into a cutout track when the door re closes esentially sealing the window. I live in Chicago and plan on driving my car year round. The winters we have had for the last 5 years or so have been pretty mild but I can remember the ice storms (whole car being covered in a solid sheet of ice) and having alot of snowfall in years past. I am out of town for usually 3 days at a time with my work and my car is outside at the airport subjected to the inclemet weather.

Has anyone yet had there car covered in a layer of ice or alot of snow? Just wondering, the cars I owned years ago with the electric windows could never open if they were froze shut. What happens to this Short Drop Feature that has to work correctly to get into the car? Does it pop breakers since the window wont move? Burn the window motor up? How do you access the car if the window doesnt drop down out of the cut out track?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:21 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Winter Weather and the Short Drop Glass feature

you ARE talking about the convertible right?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Jim Smyth
1st Gear Member

Nope, this is a feature for the hard top but since I havent been in or near the convertable it may also apply. When you go to open the door the front window glass automatically drops down 1/2" before the door is allowed to open. Happens in the blink of an eye. After the door is re closed the window does the same thing and goes back up into a track cutout in the hard moulding surrounding the window and esentially sealing the whole window unit. I cant see how this is going to work if/when you need to get into your car at all if its covered with ice. My old cars with electric windows, at least you just had to break the ice away from the window frame to get into the car. There was no way the electric window would be able to bring the window down in this senerio. Thats why this feature on the Mustang called (Short Drop Feature) concerns me. They have a procedure in the manual on how to reset this feature if it gets screwed up but that doesnt help if the window is frozen shut. Last night I also emailed Ford directly to see what they had to say and will copy and paste it here when they respond back to me.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:38 AM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

when i recieved mine on feb 26 '05 i didnt recall having any problems with the window drop down but generally if windows are ice'd up i always break the ice away before getting in first....

one thing i especially hate is that after it has rained and you open teh door all the water pours into the car from the top of the door on the body..sucks for weather leather
Old 06-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

I thought this was *just* a Vert feature, didn't realize it was in the coup too...
Old 06-27-2005, 04:31 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

yep coupe's have it, window drops out of the door lip thingy..im not a big fan of vert cars aka rag tops...i prefer hard tops for some reason..i guess since this is my 2nd stang and i have never driven a vert car
Old 06-27-2005, 04:41 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

The description of getting back to a frozen car after leaving it a few days at the airport makes me glad I live in California.

When I first brought my Mustang convertible home, but before reading the owner's manual, I was wondering what that extra noise was from the door when I closed it with the window up. Oh, it's the window moving back up half an inch all by itself. I kind of like the feature, now that I understand it. (And those of you who live in the frozen north have my sympathy during the cold season.)
Old 06-27-2005, 09:10 PM
MongrelMan
1st Gear Member

This is a very good point you raise.... winters here in Toronto will freeze your window, rendering it completely stuck.... will this feature damage in conditions like this?
Old 06-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I agree, will we be stuck in the cold? lol
Chicago burbs here.
Have remote start now, but when I get the stang, not a good idea for stick.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Jim Smyth
1st Gear Member

Ford sent me a lame reply of "Go to the nearest dealer and ask them" I bet when I go ask them next week the guy is going to look at me and wonder what I am talking about.

Quick Reply: Winter Weather and the Short Drop Glass feature