Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Redfire GT...never modded before, taking recommendations!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:09 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Well, I already had my ideas. Here's what I think looks very neat individually, and probably would have had it all done.

-CAI and Tuner
-20" Chrome Rims
-Roush Window Louvers
-Rocker Stripe (Silver or white?)
-Racing Stripes (Silver or white)
-Hopefully I could get a functional hood scoop. Could I do this without removing the stock hood? I do like 05 Mustang's hood.
-Side Scoops
-Painted Rearview Mirror Covers
-Rear Decklid Blackout Panel
-Chrome Tail Light Trim
-Sequential Tail Light kit
-Chrome bright rolled exhaust tips
-Hood pins
-Chrome Billet Fuel Door
-Lowering Springs
-Shorty Antennae
-Under-Hood appearance peices; Painted Plenum cover, radiator cover, fuel rail cover, fuse box cover
-A loud exhaust kit. I've heard good things about SLP and Roush Legal, but roush is the only one with square tips.
-In the event I go the roush way, I'd get:
-Front Fascia
-Chin Spoiler
-Rocker Moldings
-Rear Wing
-Legal Exhaust system
-Stage 1 Emblems and badges (It is NOT posing, a body kit IS technically a stage 1.)

Even if I do go the roush way, I'd like to get a hood scoop that actually works, rather than the roush hood scoop.

I was worried about this list, because with all of the things that I thought looked cool individually, would all come together on my particular automobile to make it look like something that resembles a performance Frankenstein's Monster.

So given the list, would all of it look alright together? I mean your opinions are very valued.

Last edited by UpTo11; 06-05-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:24 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

I knew absolutely nothing about cars when I got my Mustang. Knew absolutely nothing about modding Mustangs either.

My very first mod besides sequential tail lights, clear corners, and the 14" antenna was SLP LoudMouth axle-back exhaust. My dad and I were able to figure it out without even any instructions.

From there, I put hood struts on, did my own 12" red racing stripes with rocker stripes, CDC Classic chin spoiler, and installed the C&L Racer intake and tune from Brenspeed. Then I got my HID headlights in the mail and with my Dad's help, threw those on there.

From there, I had to have a friend (who happens to be a former Ford technician) with a lift and full shop tools help me install lower control arms and rear springs.

Modding these cars is a very "learn-as-you-go" process. Read these forums, and you'll gain a fantastic wealth of knowledge to keep moving upward with your modding.

With research comes the confidence to tackle mods on your own. Go with your gut as to what you feel you can accomplish, and as you begin to kick more and more ***, you'll find yourself feeling courageous enough to take on more and more serious mods.

In any event, enjoy! Welcome to the party!

Edit: As for your striping situation, play around with this mockup tool a bit to see what looks good. Admittedly, when I saw my stripe combination on this tool and in pictures online, I was sold immediately. Check it out!
http://www.spectrummarcom.com/mustan...pePainter.html

Last edited by East87; 06-05-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:35 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Functional hood scoop for your stock hood would be the Shaker system which runs about $800 I think. But I think you wont be able to get a CAI+Tuner with the Functional Shaker hood (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The 20" Rims are always nice, but you also have to realize that they will decrease ride comfort and performance. I'm not trying to sway you away from them, but I've always preferred the 18"s... they are big enough, but yet dont decrease performance/ride quality as much as the 20"s. You can get the rear Magnetic Blackout Panel for around $40 online, some vinyl ones on eBay are around $25.

Also, just a word for the wise, dont go "ALL OUT" with the exterior mods. You seem to be set on all of the things I had my mind set on when I first got my Mustang... I wanted all of those things, but all of those things together can come out looking really goofy... The chrome taillights might look odd with a Rear Blackout panel, stripes, louvers, etc. East87 (the poster above me) seems to have a lot of what you're looking for and that car is Beautiful! Mod it enough to make it unique, but dont mod it so much that it looks goofy. Dont go spending money on something before you know you really want it. You can always have someone in the "Chop Shop" section of the forum photoshop odds and ends on to your car to see what it WOULD look like.

The Roush kit is always nice IMO, if you're going to spend all that money on those other mods you might as well just go the Roush way, but do be aware that with the Roush kit you're definitely going to want to put some engine mods on the car to backup the looks... Plus with the Roush Body kit you can always sell your current bumpers etc.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:46 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, maxshuty, you probably saved my car there. I appreciate the input; In the end I probably will go the Roush direction, and put engine mods EVENTUALLY, but I'll go ahead and start with a simple CAI and a tuner.

Last edited by UpTo11; 06-05-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

nice dude, u got one of the sexiest colors i must say unfotunatley if u ever want to stripe it your going to have the most difficult time in the world deciding, redfire is like the only color not designed for stripes
Old 06-05-2009, 04:06 PM
jrstang1

Originally Posted by Red Beast
nice dude, u got one of the sexiest colors i must say unfotunatley if u ever want to stripe it your going to have the most difficult time in the world deciding, redfire is like the only color not designed for stripes
I agree, although I have seen some silver stipes, that look awsome on Red fire
Old 06-05-2009, 05:31 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:09 PM
AMoRT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilasX93

It's a little stock.

I'm really kind of new to Mustangs. This would be technically my first one, not including my dad's 2007 V6 Convertible I've driven everywhere...but this one is the first one that is MINE. Even though this is my first, I've been into the S197 since the beginning of '07 and I couldn't ASK for a better car. I personally believe the S197 is not only my favorite mustang generation, but I would choose this type of car over a ferrari or a corvette any day. I am completely dedicated to this Mustang.

I've been interested in making some modifications to it. My first steps were wanting bright rolled exhaust tips, window louvers, maybe one of those decklid blackout panels, chrome taillight trim, a red plenum cover, and stripes. Maybe on down the road I may find a kit I like (I'm pretty partial to roush!) But until then, I'm looking for recommendations on what looks good, what parts are reputable, ect, from the pros. (You guys.)

So, if you could recommend a part or what color stripes, or something, that would be absolutely AWESOME. I know all too well that Mustangs are a statement of individuality and personal customization, but I'm sure there's nothing wrong with taking an example from someone who knows what they're doing! So if you have a part you've put on yours, absolutely love it and love the way it looks, don't hesitate to throw a few names out there in your post! Thank you.

[PS- If anyone has any care, cleaning, or maintenance tips for this model, please speak up. Thanks again!]
ferrari? haha dude come on thats pushing it...
Old 06-06-2009, 02:01 AM
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

Great color choice! The first thing i did with mine was tint the windows and about two weeks later tint the turn signals, i couldnt stand the oranginsh yellow color when everything else was red or black. IMHO i love black stripes on this color although it seems others arent as enthusiastic about stripes on redfire. Oh yeah, definitely wanna do shorty antenna also.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:33 AM
pqtiii

If you are interested, I have the stock CS/GT Redfire hood scoop that I took off of my car.

pt