Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had Accident: Need Advice Dealing with Insurance companies please.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
It was a 2009 Toyota Corolla, just darted out across 3 lanes. I was in the lane to enter the freeway. She flies out of the parking lot right in front of me to get on the freeway.
parking lot cameras perhaps?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:33 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
parking lot cameras perhaps?
Its an idea...but how willing do you think Home Depot would be to review and release camera footage?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Dont call her insurance company. Tell your insurance company and let them deal with it. Thats why they are there in the first place. You should have got a police report but you didnt. Its now in the past. Just have your insurance fix your car and dont worry about it. They will probably take her or her isurance company to court. They will probably end up going after her real soon so they can see if there is any paint transfer (easiest way to tell if someone hit something).

Anyway so yea dont get in the middle of it, let your insurance company pay for it. There is no way you are going to have to pay anything more than your deductible at worst. Best case would be you dont pay anything at all and your car gets fixed.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Insurance could request them but it should be done soon. I'm sure they rotate the media once a week or once every two weeks.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

+1 on letting your insurance company handle it. You don't want to contact the other insurance company directly.

Sometimes an eyewitness account can be good; sometimes it might be inaccurate. Kind of a tossup on that one.

Never try to figure out what the other driver might say afterward. A number of years ago I was driving about half a block behind a Mercedes. The Mercedes went through an intersection on either a green or very early yellow light. A taxicab traveling from the left on the cross street slammed into the driver's side of the Mercedes. I saw the light change to red after I saw and heard the impact. The police arrived, and I gave them my statement. I also gave my contact information to the Mercedes driver.

A few weeks later I received a telephone call from an insurance company. After I had given them my statement, I asked what it was all about. They said they represented the Mercedes driver, and that the taxicab driver had hired a lawyer and was suing. Unbelievable! I never heard anything further, so I am guessing that the insurance company for the Mercedes driver told the taxicab driver's attorney to f off. BTW, the Mercedes was drivable; the taxicab had to be towed.

Good luck in all this. Try not to let it get to you too much.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:50 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
+1 on letting your insurance company handle it. You don't want to contact the other insurance company directly.

Sometimes an eyewitness account can be good; sometimes it might be inaccurate. Kind of a tossup on that one.

Never try to figure out what the other driver might say afterward. A number of years ago I was driving about half a block behind a Mercedes. The Mercedes went through an intersection on either a green or very early yellow light. A taxicab traveling from the left on the cross street slammed into the driver's side of the Mercedes. I saw the light change to red after I saw and heard the impact. The police arrived, and I gave them my statement. I also gave my contact information to the Mercedes driver.

A few weeks later I received a telephone call from an insurance company. After I had given them my statement, I asked what it was all about. They said they represented the Mercedes driver, and that the taxicab driver had hired a lawyer and was suing. Unbelievable! I never heard anything further, so I am guessing that the insurance company for the Mercedes driver told the taxicab driver's attorney to f off. BTW, the Mercedes was drivable; the taxicab had to be towed.

Good luck in all this. Try not to let it get to you too much.
I talked to my lawyer friend and she said, based on the fact she has a no name insurance company she probably has a horrible driving record and is clinging on to her license and this place was the only place that would insure her.

I will hope for the best and hopefully my insurance company will stand up for me. I just want my car fixed.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:10 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

With no police report, it doesn't help...
This might take a while before your or the dingbat insurance decide to cover.

Owning a shop, I had my share of BS, no name insurance that some of my customer carry.
They don't have their own adjusters, takes forever to get a check and they hate supplements.

Geico can really suck when it comes to pay out, I've experienced lots of bad behavior from then with customers.
Hopefully, it won't be the case with you if they have to handle your claim.

If it takes too long, Geico might take care of that claim minus your deductible that you will get later on when the other Insurance company gives in. I've seen this happen.

In any case, good luck.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
With no police report, it doesn't help...
This might take a while before your or the dingbat insurance decide to cover.

Owning a shop, I had my share of BS, no name insurance that some of my customer carry.
They don't have their own adjusters, takes forever to get a check and they hate supplements.

Geico can really suck when it comes to pay out, I've experienced lots of bad behavior from then with customers.
Hopefully, it won't be the case with you if they have to handle your claim.

If it takes too long, Geico might take care of that claim minus your deductible that you will get later on when the other Insurance company gives in. I've seen this happen.

In any case, good luck.
thats funny about getting paid, I have a water damage business and work in homes. I run into the same thing with certain companies who use independent local adjusters, its like dealing with a middle man, anymore I just call the main company and deal with them, one plus though is the local independent adjusters in some cases are less nitpicky about the bill. in any event payment does take way longer.

don't be afraid to call the other company and tell them you want them to pay, infact my own insurance company recommended that it shows you are not taking fault.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:09 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:13 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
It's already been mentioned but I will say it again. Tell your insurance company you want to subrogate the claim to them. What this means is you will have to pay your deductible to get your car fixed. You won't have to wait for all the back and forth between insurance companies. When your insurance company gets their money from her insurance they will cut you a check for the deductible you already paid.
I will mention this to my adjuster tomorrow and see what he says.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Had Accident: Need Advice Dealing with Insurance companies please.