Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JBA shorties

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Default JBA shorties

Now I've read about every post on here on short VS long tubes, but has anyone yet done a before and after dyno run comparing both shorties and long tubes as in:

Stock VS Shorties

and

Stock VS Long tubes

I haven't seen that, I've seen a few comparisons but they have had other changes too which will undoubtedly affect the results.

I know it been beat to death but I don't plan on racing just looking for a bit more 'oomph' on the street and some cleaner exhaust sound and at the same time saving money for other mods.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Good question, I would like to know more about this too.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

I'm not quite sure what's on the car, but another video says BBK shorties and flowmaster(though which one and what mid pipe) but it sounds pretty deep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2p_6...eature=related

Last edited by Starfire; 06-11-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:02 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Long tube headers will make more power than shorties... $1,750 vs $750 (installed)
Long tube headers will make less power than shorties and hotrod cams... $1,750 vs $1,850 (installed)
Old 06-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

LOL read my mind? because I want to do cams too.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:45 PM
VistaStangGT
1st Gear Member

I would like to see a good apple to apples test. I think the difference between shorties and longtubes is a lot less than people think. First of all, when people go the shorty route, a lot of times they are leaving the factory cats/h-pipe. When going to longtubes, people are either going to go to o/r pipe or high flow cats. I think that is skewing the results a little. I'd like like to see a before and after of shorties with o/r x and longtubes with o/r x on the same car. I still think longtubes will make more power just not the big difference people think they will. I might go the JBA shorty route next year.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:48 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

LT's = rougher exhaust sound
ST's = cleaner thumping exhaust sound

Here's one of my vids with BBK shorties and Bassani street mufflers and Bassani catted X
www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2TO17cXa0U
Old 06-11-2009, 02:51 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

LT's = rougher exhaust sound
ST's = cleaner thumping exhaust sound

Here's one of my vids with BBK shorties and Bassani street mufflers and Bassani catted X
www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2TO17cXa0U
Old 06-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaStangGT
I would like to see a good apple to apples test. I think the difference between shorties and longtubes is a lot less than people think. First of all, when people go the shorty route, a lot of times they are leaving the factory cats/h-pipe. When going to longtubes, people are either going to go to o/r pipe or high flow cats. I think that is skewing the results a little. I'd like like to see a before and after of shorties with o/r x and longtubes with o/r x on the same car. I still think longtubes will make more power just not the big difference people think they will. I might go the JBA shorty route next year.
Yes most definitely, by a 3rd party.

Also I started wondering if cat position make a difference, like look at the magnaflow x pipe it's cats are in the stock position, but then look at say the bassini x pipe and the cats are moved into the horizontal position quite a bit downstream, so does having that longer area of free flow on the bassini x make any difference, say akin to a longer tube, of course not the same as a real long tube but it sill allows for more flow and cooling before a restriction like the cat is hit.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:22 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I love my JBA shorties. You can get the silver ceramic coated ones shipped for $440 from latemodelrestoration.com, a sponsor here. I installed mine about 2 months ago and they are one of my favorite mods to date. Buy them and do the install yourself. It will take some time, but its nothing difficult. Plus installation costs are almost as much as the headers themselves. Here is a video of my JBA shorties and corsa sport axlebacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-zFeUmIkAo

Quick Reply: JBA shorties