Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-20-2015, 11:45 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

WTF...how do you check tire pressure

Old 06-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by digitalcos
"let air out until the dust mark on the tire goes the full tread."

Well, you got me on that one. I have no clue. Please explain.
Don't want to over inflate, causing the center of the tread to wear out quicker, or under inflate causing the sides to wear out quicker. When the dirt is on the whole width of the tread, its properly inflated and all the rubber is hitting the ground.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:21 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Ah, I see now. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:36 PM
67fire
2nd Gear Member

That technique works on every vehicle regardless of what tire size that you install.
Your load range rating may be over 1,800 pounds per tire. Do you HAVE 1,800 pounds on that tire?

Eric
Old 06-13-2009, 02:43 PM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by digitalcos
Oh yeah, thanks Tungsten07, I meant to mention that too...

Checking your tire pressure "by eyeballing it and then pumping in more to make sure it's not flat at all" is a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad idea, I mean like really bad. That's exactly why you've got that bubble in your tire now. Surprised you haven't had a blowout yet. Look at every other tire on every other vehicle on the road, they all, and I mean all are a bit flat on the bottom where the rubber meets the road, they're supposed to be, no matter how low-profile the tire is. That's the whole point of an inflatable tire, it's the suspensions first level of cushioning. That's why we're not all driving around on just our rims. If you're filling to eliminate the flat spot, you're putting way too much air in.

Sorry if I over explained a basic point, but if that is what you're doing, it's a very serious safety issue. you're risking a blowout, and putting yourself and others on the road in danger.
Yea, I'm going to have to agree w/ Mr. Stickler on this :P jk

For real though, you can not 'eye ball' tire pressure especially low profile tires like you. They can look "flat", but be at a very high PSI ...imo, a lot of the low profile(>40) always look a little flat to me, but that's just how they are...I'm not trying to lecture you on anything, your a big boy...and I think digitalcos already got the point across

Like others had said, try to get a good seal with your pressure gauge, push down just enough (if your getting extremely high/low #'s, your prob. pushing too hard or not enough) to get a good read out, and than do it a couple more times, making sure that your in the same ballpark each time....like 35lbs,36lbs, 35.5lbs....imo, its just one of those things that you can't just read a article online and know how to do it perfectly; you have to get a 'feel' for it.

That bulge or "bubble" in the sidewall was most likely caused by over inflation...(did you drive on it when it was at those high #'s?)....I used to work at discount tire, and we would see those all the time. We would sometimes get tires that showed no sign of bulging, put some air into it, and next thing we know; a big fat zit would pop up on the thing lol...its not uncommon, but almost every occurrence was caused by over inflation(or a weak/old side belt). I defiantly wouldn't drive on it if I could help it, and just get to your tire place and if you recently got the tires and/or have a warranty on them, than they should replace it for you w/o charge. Either way, good luck and I hope everything works out for ya
Old 06-13-2009, 03:44 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the tips.

ok i have definitely been putting too much air in these tires.

I am replacing the bulged tire on Monday...
Old 06-13-2009, 04:48 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra

I have always just checked the air pressure, by eyeballing it and then pumping in more to make sure it's not flat at all.

What am I doing wrong?

The front right tire now has a massive bulge in it, and the car shakes when I drive it.

I am pretty sure the tire is F'd and I need a new tire there now.
The answer lies within your original question...
Old 06-14-2009, 01:10 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
The answer lies within your original question...
lol. yur a ***.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:42 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

i have a dial air guage with a locking air chuck that i put a quick connect on . when i check my tires i just snap this on my air hose , press it on the valve stem of the tire, lock it to the valve stem & press air hose button, release to see air pressure , it stays locked on the valve stem until you press the little lever to unlock. this is what you need since you are having a problem holding the gauge tightly on the valve stem.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Get a good digital tire gauge. Check the pressure with the tire COLD. Never add air by looking at the tire. Look inside the drivers door jamb and there's a sticker that tells you how much air you should be running.
LOL, looking in the drivers door jamb isn't going to help the OP any. I doubt their stang came with 20's stock.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The proper pressure for those 20's may well differ from what the door sticker says, since the door sticker is for the 16's, 17's or 18's that the car came with. It can be estimated based on the tire load index numbers. I have heard that some folks run slightly more pressure in their 20's in order to reduce the chance of banging up their wheels. "Slightly" does not mean 10+ psi extra.

Thai - Just what size are these 20's, anyway?

If you know what you're looking for and from what angle to look, it is possible to know from visual inspection at a distance that a tire is significantly underinflated. Not so if it's overinflated.

At autocrossing, a variation on the above-mentioned close-up "dust/dirt" inspection is commonly used to determine proper pressures for competition. Even if you're just fine-tuning tire pressures to suit lots of hard cornering on the street, you can use this approach. Basically it involves "reading" how far around the tire shoulders that your cornering is using the tire. Some tires have indicators molded into the shoulder regions to help you judge which way to adjust the pressure.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-14-2009 at 09:54 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTF...how do you check tire pressure