Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-20-2015, 11:45 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

WTF...how do you check tire pressure

Old 06-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
The proper pressure for those 20's may well differ from what the door sticker says, since the door sticker is for the 16's, 17's or 18's that the car came with. It can be estimated based on the tire load index numbers. I have heard that some folks run slightly more pressure in their 20's in order to reduce the chance of banging up their wheels. "Slightly" does not mean 10+ psi extra.

Thai - Just what size are these 20's, anyway?

If you know what you're looking for and from what angle to look, it is possible to know from visual inspection at a distance that a tire is significantly underinflated. Not so if it's overinflated.

At autocrossing, a variation on the above-mentioned close-up "dust/dirt" inspection is commonly used to determine proper pressures for competition. Even if you're just fine-tuning tire pressures to suit lots of hard cornering on the street, you can use this approach. Basically it involves "reading" how far around the tire shoulders that your cornering is using the tire. Some tires have indicators molded into the shoulder regions to help you judge which way to adjust the pressure.

Norm
How do you know so much car stuff?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I wasn't going to post a reply or comment to the OP's thread but I have to say it: The IQ of the forum has just dropped a few points. That's right up there with flushing the crankcase with a garden hose when doing an oil change...

Perhaps the OP should review the basics in the Owners Manual about checking tire pressure. No where does it even suggest eyeballing...
Old 06-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I wasn't going to post a reply or comment to the OP's thread but I have to say it: The IQ of the forum has just dropped a few points. That's right up there with flushing the crankcase with a garden hose when doing an oil change...

Perhaps the OP should review the basics in the Owners Manual about checking tire pressure. No where does it even suggest eyeballing...
Don't to be harsh. Back in the day of 14" and 15" rims, it was EASY to tire was low. Not just a few psi off, but at about 10psi you could tell without it being completely flat.

The OP just didn't realize that low profile 20"s can't be judged the same as 15"s.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:03 AM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

I for one don't want to participate on a forum where we have to worry about being ridiculed for asking any kind of question. None of the knowledge that any of us have about cars was there at birth. We all had to learn. I don't participate in any forum because I think I'm some kind of expert or anything. I participate because I want to learn from others who may know more than me, and share what knowledge I've picked up.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have a question about something, ask it. If I think I can help, I'll chime in. Because you can be sure that if I don't know something, I'll be asking questions myself (as evidenced by this very thread).
Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I don't think we should discourage forum members from asking questions. I consider myself to be reasonably knowledgeable about cars, but I've learned a lot from the other members on this forum.

On the other hand, members should look through the Owner's Guide and read some books about basic car care. Some appear to spend a lot of time and money on mods for their cars, but neither spend $20 for a car care book nor take the time to read the guide they should already have.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:49 AM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

??? I've never had problems checking and refilling the air pressure in my tire. Maybe your just thinking too much.