Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clear my airbag light pleeeeeease

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:16 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default clear my airbag light pleeeeeease

I've removed the seats in preparation for the installation of replacements.

As part of the required process I've bought and installed the Airbag termination plugs for the seat airbags.
Foolishly (I never thought about it) I hadn't disconnected the battery beforehand so now I have the flashing airbag light

My code scanner doesn't see this thrown code, i guess because it's an extended body code [?] so I'm now wondering how to clear it.

Whilst searching around I see there's a way of doing it on the pre 05 models but I didn't manage to find a quick fix for our models.

Ironic really, I thought I'd covered all bases, but I guess not....

So, anybody now how to clear this code, or do I have a Ford Visit in my future ???
Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

If you disconnect the battery for a while and plug it back in the codes dont clear?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:52 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by avengence
If you disconnect the battery for a while and plug it back in the codes dont clear?
Nope, doesn't work

Last edited by marcuskeeler; 06-16-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:53 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You have to take it to the dealer to clear the code (run you about $75).
Usually, on collision cars after airbag deployment, that's what I have to do...
Real pain in the ****!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

is it just a light or the car is going into limp mode.i ask cause im about to install some racing seats.i really wont mind the light as long as it wont affect anything else.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:22 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

How old is your scanner? If it's not an OBD II "Can Bus:" ready scanner it won't read the code. Mustangs started the can bus technology 2 years before it was mandatory in 08. You can buy a can bus scanner for $80, the price of a dealership code clear.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 PM
frdfrst
2nd Gear Member

i have 05 with same problem.where did you find the fix or how do i do it?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:16 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bodyputtyless
How old is your scanner? If it's not an OBD II "Can Bus:" ready scanner it won't read the code. Mustangs started the can bus technology 2 years before it was mandatory in 08. You can buy a can bus scanner for $80, the price of a dealership code clear.
i have such a scanner but it, like 99% of all scanners, doesn't read or clear extended body codes.

This is turning out to be a Saga. I took it to Fords today and they couldn't clear the codes. Turns out the terminations listed for our car aren't of the right resistence. The ones I got are 7.5 ohms. The dealership tech used the terminators in his diagnostic kit and the codes cleared, the resistence of his terminators was 1.5 ohms. I'm tempted to just get a couple of resistors and frig it but I think I'll give them a chance to do it right first.
So now they've had to send a request for guidance off to Ford central data base.... They're going to call me tomorrow with an update i hope.

Last edited by marcuskeeler; 06-16-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:13 AM
05fastblk
2nd Gear Member

mine has never been wrecked at all, but all of the sudden the air bag light came out and the annoying seat belt beep went away. i dont mind the seatbelt noise out but i also want to get rid of the airbag light. what could have caused this?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:59 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05fastblk
mine has never been wrecked at all, but all of the sudden the air bag light came out and the annoying seat belt beep went away. i dont mind the seatbelt noise out but i also want to get rid of the airbag light. what could have caused this?
I'm no expert on this but I'm fast becoming familiar.

The restraint section of the body codes is a right bowl of spaghetti. One fault under the seat can manifest itself in a couple of restraint code throws which use the airbag light as an indicator.
If you lost the seat belt chime I would think the first port of call would be to check the plug/socket on your seat belt receivers on the side of the seat. One may have been disconnected by something under the seat, a vacuum cleaner etc.
The only way to clear the codes, if you don't have one of these singing dancing extended code scanners, is to take the thing to the stealership and have them zoom in on the specific problem and clear it. Cross your fingers it stays cleared though......

Last edited by marcuskeeler; 06-16-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: clear my airbag light pleeeeeease