Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Mustang owner-advice on trading/buying a GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:40 PM
The_Duke

Default Potential Mustang owner-advice on trading/buying a GT

Hi you guys,

Figured this may be the best place to inquire about buying a mustang (used). I currently own a 2006 Subaru Forester xt with 59k miles. I've been seriously debating trading it in for a 2005-2008 mustang gt with lower milage.

Any advice regarding

trade ins; what to avoid/look for in a used mustang?

practicallity/reliablility; Can the mustang be an everyday car and how reliable?

I'd like to trade in and not pay more than 2k more

Any information would be much appriciated
Old 06-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Wisconsin? RWD kinda sucks in the snow but I guess it's doable.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:55 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

this is a really good page to start up. it's got a lot of links. just scroll down and read up on TSB (TechnicalServiceBulletins) for some research on which model years had minor setbacks and which had the setbacks addressed.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...tech-info.html
Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 PM
TorchRed '03
1st Gear Member

A few tips from me...
1.) Carfax-make sure that you check the vehicle for any accidents etc. I also prefer to buy a car that I know has been adult driven, especially when it is something like a mustang. A car that has several owners usually makes me leery and I pass on it. Could have gone through several teens etc.

2.) I just got my mustang and have found it to be very reliable so far. My previous car was an '02 Oldsmobile Intrigue. The oldsmobile shifted smoother and was a little bit better ride, but had a lot of annoying small issues. The Mustang doesn't ride like a Mercedes, but is pretty good generally speaking. The S197 and new body style are both pretty smooth cars. I have an '03, which is rougher but still good for a daily driver like me who likes to hear the exhaust and feel the road a bit. As a frame of reference I have drove an '05, '06, and '10 Mustang, as well as a '10 camaro and found all of them to be pretty similar in ride quality. Surprisingly good. As long as you aren't careless the interior components seem to hold up good and the rattles don't seem to be too bad from my experience.

3.) One thing I do when I go to get a car, is do some research first. I will go to sites like autotrader etc. and print out sheets for several cars in my city that I am looking at. I then will have a Kelly Blue Book printout for each one and put everything into a three ring binder. I then go to dealerships starting with the car that I really want. When they start throwing quotes at me I'll say things like, "Well at ..... dealership I can get this car for this much." Then I tell them I am going to go check out the other car. A lot of times they will work with you on the price or you will get a call later saying that the price can be lowered or that there is another car on the lot that might be better etc. Just haggle a little bit and don't be afraid to wait. There are a lot of Mustang's out there so don't let the dealer trick you into falling in love with one and paying too much when you could possibly find a better deal somewhere else. An example of this was my father-in-laws buying experience. In late 2005 he went in to look at a Mustang. He didn't see the need for leather etc. so he was going to get a Deluxe model. They didn't have any, so he was going to leave. The dealer put him in a premium for the price they were quoting on the Deluxe just to get the sale. He got an '06 Legend Lime with Shaker 500, leather etc. for a little over $23,000 brand new.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

When physically looking at the car, be sure to poke your head underneath the front bumper. This can tell you a lot about the previous owner. If the front bumper cover has been scraped to #$@!, then stay away from that car. It's a sign of being driven hard into and out of driveways and parking lots. Stock Mustang height is pretty good so if you see scrapes underneath, it serves as a warning sign.

Carfax +1. Dealers will almost always pay for one if you request it.

You didn't mention a budget. But you can find pretty good deals on used GT's nowadays. Remeber to negotiate.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:38 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

I am in the same boat myself, everyone says to check for leaks on the passenger side floorboard, this will be evident if there is any funky smell. I would even try to pull up the carpet there to check for evidence of water damage.

be careful don't pay too much, there are such smokin deals right not on new '09's and especially new '08's if you can find them still. keep in mind a brand new 09 gt premium brand new should not be anymore than 25k, 22k for a deluxe model. so IMO a used '08 should not be selling for anymore than about 18500, '05's should be 13500 or less this of course is coupe prices, I still haven't figured out what the best value is, with the 05 models you have to think most of the depreciation is gone, however is it worth an extra 5k to have a 3 yr newer vehicle and how will resale be different?? I still haven't answered that question myself
Old 06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
cobrakiller347
2nd Gear Member

coming from a salesman check around alot and play dealerships against each other lol also talk price right away, and with a new vehicle tell them u want some performance parts thrown it there too, maybe even some painted stripes...
Old 06-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Wisconsin? RWD kinda sucks in the snow but I guess it's doable.
Drove mine though last winter in Chicago, just put on some blizzaks and it drove like a dream in the snow, didn't really fear getting stuck even once. Just gotta take it easy on the go pedal.

Also the traction control works amazingly well in the snow. I hate it in the rain and dry pavement but in the snow I could floor it from a 20mph roll and it wouldn't even get sideways at all. Turn it off and you're making more donuts then dunkin'
Old 06-15-2009, 03:54 PM
The_Duke

Wow. Some great advice so far! I'm extremely grateful for your responses. I was hoping on doing a trade in and trying to pay no more than 2k more. Is this possible? I'm 25 and have never purchased a used car before. As long as the milage is below 50k, I'll be satisfied.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:30 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by The_Duke
Wow. Some great advice so far! I'm extremely grateful for your responses. I was hoping on doing a trade in and trying to pay no more than 2k more. Is this possible? I'm 25 and have never purchased a used car before. As long as the milage is below 50k, I'll be satisfied.

your gonna get hosed on your trade, keep in mind the dealership wants to make money on the trade too, that means they plan on making at least 2k if they resell it or make at least enough to cover themselves if they auction it. I have heard of guys trading in low mile 05 gt's and only get 12k in trade for them, your better off to sell your car yourself in most cases, however remember that whatever you get for the subaru in trade is that much less sales tax you gotta pay, so if you get 10k for the soob in trade that will save you more than $600 in sales tax toward the mustang. still will work out better in most cases to do a private sale.

also personally I would avoid the huge mega dealerships like the ones that sell new cars, or carmax in particular, those guys are way over priced, check autotrader for more realistic prices, however keep in mind even some of those cars are over priced too.

Quick Reply: Potential Mustang owner-advice on trading/buying a GT